News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on August 09, 2018, 04:08:43 AM
Martyn @ Imgur must be a robot.

First email of the day he reiterated something he has suggested three times before. I have told him four times, including the screen shot, that I have done that with the same result - a link that does not work.

Sorry, I can't suggest any good alternatives to Imgur. I have read other people's complaints about their bad support.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 09, 2018, 04:36:53 AM
Quote from: Dave on August 09, 2018, 04:08:43 AM
Martyn @ Imgur must be a robot.

First email of the day he reiterated something he has suggested three times before. I have told him four times, including the screen shot, that I have done that with the same result - a link that does not work.

Sorry, I can't suggest any good alternatives to Imgur. I have read other people's complaints about their bad support.

Yewh, but I found out the "'new" method, "Tap the image then tap it again when it appears in the big window so it fills the screen then tap the share symbol, then select "Clip board".

This was never explicity suggested, all at once, in his emails, in fact I cannot find the second tap on the "window image" at all. He said the system changed 8 months ago but for an image I posted here 9 days ago still works with, "Tap the image then when it appears in the window tap the share symbol, then select "Clip board". Notice the subtle difference.

Nine days ago I could get the correct link by going to "View" then hitting the share symbol immediately after "Upload". No more.

If there was a notification of the change in amongst the "You will love this fluffy puppy" and, "Laugh at this guy making an idiot of himself" stuff it got dumped unread. I do not seem to think in the expected way, I seem to have very different values as to what is funny or lovable than they expect. Am I just too old?

Hermes, Imgur on the PC is different from on a tablet, I am not sure now what the PC sequence is.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on August 09, 2018, 07:35:10 AM
Hermes, Imgur on the PC is different from on a tablet, I am not sure now what the PC sequence is.

It's quite simple: click once on the photo in one's list of images and it will show in its own window with different types of code next to it:

Then just click on the blue Copy button next to Linked BBCCode to get the link to use here in HAF messages.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 09, 2018, 09:22:43 AM
Quote from: Dave on August 09, 2018, 07:35:10 AM

It's quite simple: click once on the photo in one's list of images and it will show in its own window with different types of code next to it:

Then just click on the blue Copy button next to Linked BBCCode to get the link to use here in HAF messages.

Yup, far simpler and more explicit than the Android app. Was going to post the four stages but I now get an error message, with no explanation, when I try to upload to Imgur - can still view my images though.

Try Photobucket:

hermes2015

Think of it this way: all these little technical challenges keep our brains active and, we hope, agile.
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 09, 2018, 10:03:02 AM
Think of it this way: all these little technical challenges keep our brains active and, we hope, agile.

I'd prefer less swollen adrenal glands myself!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Grump.

Wanted to go to town yesterday but told parcel would be delivered - it was, at 8pm!

Planned again for today, weather forecast overcast. Started to drizzle as soon as I opened the front door.

Rain forecast tomorrow.

Sunny Friday - but think I will book a scooter 'cos ankle hurting and have been a bit short of breath occasionaly. And I want to try some photography in various bits of town.

Later, @ about 1140: email to say another package arriving today - bit late notice, but makes the day more useful!

Dave

Just sent a comment to the BBC regarding the accuracy of the facts and figures in their news programmes.

BBC World Service News had an item on the Egyptians using a standard embalming formula "around 3500BC" (should have been "BCE").. The next programme said, "... about 4000 years ago." Since this formula was in use about 1500 years esrlier than previously known the error is critical. The online BBC News Service quotes, ". . . 3700 - 3500BC."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-45175764

This is not the first time different figures hsve been quoted on different BBC programmes or channels. One might have thought that a service that prides itself as being the premium provider of accurate news might have a centralised fact checking function.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on August 16, 2018, 07:38:20 AM
Just sent a comment to the BBC regarding the accuracy of the facts and figures in their news programmes.

BBC World Service News had an item on the Egyptians using a standard embalming formula "around 3500BC" (should have been "BCE").. The next programme said, "... about 4000 years ago." Since this formula was in use about 1500 years esrlier than previously known the error is critical. The online BBC News Service quotes, ". . . 3700 - 3500BC."

This is not the first time different figures hsve been quoted on different BBC programmes or channels. One might have thought that a service that prides itself as being the premium provider of accurate news might have a centralised fact checking function.

One would expect them to cross-check facts, but I suspect they simply do not have the staff resources nor the budget to do so.
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 16, 2018, 08:46:57 AM
Quote from: Dave on August 16, 2018, 07:38:20 AM

One would expect them to cross-check facts, but I suspect they simply do not have the staff resources nor the budget to do so.

I would have thought that a centralised news facts centre, for the entire BBC corporation, would actually need fewer staff as opposed to several teams in different services and programmes. In this case it was on the same service, within minutes and repeated later!

That is amateurish. How can I trust the BBC to get the news facts right anywhere? Radio 4's, "Ninety people were killed . . ." and, the World Service's, "About 100 people were killed . . ," is not good enough.

jumbojak

Humid haze denied me a waxing gibbous tonight.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

No one

Did you try using some dirty pictures?

Dave

Few weeks ago I scraped a square inch of skin off my right knee - today it was my right elbow's turn. Elbowed a corner of a wall as I was going for a shower. Did not realise I had actually injured myself until I noticed blood going drip, drip, drip off my fingers into the bath.

Not easy showering with a pressure bandage (made from the cut off top half of a sock) covered by a plastic bag (with the closed end cut off) sealed top and bottom with electricians' tape on your elbow . . .

The scrape is too big for the showerproof dressings I have left.

Icarus

I have sympathy for you Dave.  We old bastards often have thin skin that is vulnerable to slightest of abrasions and piercings. 

Last week my riding lawn mower ran over a bit of doggy doo.  It stuck to the rear tire throughout the mowing event. It apparently picked up a small sharp stick that imbedded itself into the doo.  Two days later I walked too closely past the mower and the protruding sharp stick slashed a major boo boo into my leg.  Blood......much blood from a sharp stick contaminated with dried poop.   Happily, several days later I have not lost my leg to gangrene or any such.  My damned skin is much too thin and vulnerable to abrasions and scratchy things.

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on August 19, 2018, 02:46:06 AM
I have sympathy for you Dave.  We old bastards often have thin skin that is vulnerable to slightest of abrasions and piercings. 

Last week my riding lawn mower ran over a bit of doggy doo.  It stuck to the rear tire throughout the mowing event. It apparently picked up a small sharp stick that imbedded itself into the doo.  Two days later I walked too closely past the mower and the protruding sharp stick slashed a major boo boo into my leg.  Blood......much blood from a sharp stick contaminated with dried poop.   Happily, several days later I have not lost my leg to gangrene or any such.  My damned skin is much too thin and vulnerable to abrasions and scratchy things.

Yeah! I suffer (I claim since they put me on aspirin, but they say it's coincidence) capillary failure problems on my arms that cause dark brown patches - subcutaneous bleeding - where the skin gets extra thin. I can't use sticking plaster there, removing it removes the sking as well. Non-adherent dressing pads and tubular pressure bandages (cut off top half of socks) are in order.

Looking at the wound again, especially its colour,  I think I clobbered one of those patches, there is another near it but the damaged one needs a mirror to see.