News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Quote from: Scissorlegs on May 04, 2012, 11:12:17 PM
Quote from: Ali on May 04, 2012, 09:07:23 PM
Ooyay eyesgay are-ay illy-say.

That's the only one I understood!

Ha ne any honey, hinnie? No, I hannae ony!

Yeah I only know a few german sayings. Das ist verboten is pretty easy.  That is forbidden.  Most languages are similar in many ways to other languages.  Spanish is almost like a mirror version of english.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

DeterminedJuliet

Beautiful sunny walk with my two favourite fellas. Wee man was chatting and flirting with everyone while we picked up some fresh strawberries and veggies. Nice afternoon.  :)
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

The Magic Pudding

QuoteELEANOR HALL: It's the first confirmed sighting of the critically endangered species in a decade, and wildlife experts say the late night sighting of a tiger quoll in the Otway Ranges in Victoria is an exciting development for wildlife experts.

The biologist and natural history author Leonard Cronin says it's an important find and he hopes there are more tiger quolls in the same area.

It's a reason to be cheerful but a reminder of how we've stuffed things up.

Sandra Craft

Why is it called a tiger quoll when it's got spots?  Not to ignore the central message of your post, which I agree with, I'm just curious.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

DeterminedJuliet

Perhaps it's ill-tempered?
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 07, 2012, 03:41:31 PM
Why is it called a tiger quoll when it's got spots?  Not to ignore the central message of your post, which I agree with, I'm just curious.

I have wondered that myself, it is a carnivore.
I think it does sound better than leopard quoll.

Buddy

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on May 07, 2012, 04:06:46 PM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 07, 2012, 03:41:31 PM

I have wondered that myself, it is a carnivore.
I think it does sound better than leopard quoll.

I like leopard quoll.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Ali

Speaking of beasties, Pudding, can you confirm that kangaroos actually do hop?  We have a membership to the zoo which means we go near constantly during the spring and summer, and our zoo has a whole herd (flock? pride? school?) of kangaroos, but I've yet to ever see one of them do more than flick an ear while they sleep in the shade.  Are our kangaroos depressed by their zoo lifestyle, or are all kangaroos spectacularly lazy?

OldGit

Quote from: Ali... are all kangaroos spectacularly lazy?

All Australians are spectacularly lazy.  ;D

Tank

Quote from: Ali on May 07, 2012, 04:34:01 PM
Speaking of beasties, Pudding, can you confirm that kangaroos actually do hop?  We have a membership to the zoo which means we go near constantly during the spring and summer, and our zoo has a whole herd (flock? pride? school?) of kangaroos, but I've yet to ever see one of them do more than flick an ear while they sleep in the shade.  Are our kangaroos depressed by their zoo lifestyle, or are all kangaroos spectacularly lazy?
Mob
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Amicale

Quote from: Tank on May 07, 2012, 05:04:08 PM
Mob

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/about/faqs/animals/names.htm found a list of all sorts of animals. Ali, T should like these.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

The Magic Pudding

I like the question, you know you have questions and you don't ask them, you google and your curiosity is quenched without human interaction.

You have a mob of kangaroos. 
Sheep can be a mob.
People can be a mob without being mobsters.

Kangaroos certainly hop, they have two bouncy legs and a couple of useless TRex style wimpy arms.
I've seen my dog bother a large kangaroo and it stands its ground, using its tail becomes a scary tripod. 
But it's OK 'cause our dog is of a bark at a safe distance breed.

Anyway female roos and probably all wallabies will move fast, just as any threatened grazing prey animal would.

Ali

Mob! I like that!  Makes me picture a bunch of kangaroos rioting and looting electronic stores. 

Thanks for the confirmation.  I suppose our roos don't have much to run from.  They have an emu in the enclosure as well, but they seem to get on well enough.

Ali

Quote from: Amicale on May 07, 2012, 05:08:22 PM
Quote from: Tank on May 07, 2012, 05:04:08 PM
Speaking of beasties, Pudding, can you confirm that kangaroos actually do hop?  We have a membership to the zoo which means we go near constantly during the spring and summer, and our zoo has a whole herd (flock? pride? school?) of kangaroos, but I've yet to ever see one of them do more than flick an ear while they sleep in the shade.  Are our kangaroos depressed by their zoo lifestyle, or are all kangaroos spectacularly lazy?
Mob

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/about/faqs/animals/names.htm found a list of all sorts of animals. Ali, T should like these.

Ooooh, thank you!  I love this!  I had no idea that a bunch of apes is called "a shrewdness."  I LOVE that.   We are a shrewdness of atheists, are we not? :D
ETA:  A business of ferrets!!!!  A tower of giraffes!  Ther mental pictures of these are amazing!  I want to paint them!  And I can't even paint!

The Magic Pudding

There used to be carnivorous kangaroos, not sure how they operated.