News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siz

Quote from: Cecilie on January 05, 2012, 07:34:54 AM
I never saw WALL-E. I've heard good things about it, but the trailer made it look boring.

It is a little slow in places, but this serves to illustrate the bleak nature of Wall-E's existence. It's a lovely film - though I do usually despise the anthropomorphising of robots.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Ali

I love WALL-E.  I'm kind of into "dystopian futures" and WALL-E is the only children's movie I have really seen in the genre.  And I've seen a LOT of children's movies.  My 3 year old has grown out of them now, but we used to have to give him twice daily nebulizer treatments for his asthma, and the one way we found that he would sit still for the 15-20-ish minutes each treatment ate up was to pop in a kid's flick.  Thankfully he is now old enough to use an inhaler instead.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Scissorlegs on January 05, 2012, 11:09:44 AM
I never saw WALL-E. I've heard good things about it, but the trailer made it look boring.

It is a little slow in places, but this serves to illustrate the bleak nature of Wall-E's existence. It's a lovely film - though I do usually despise the anthropomorphising of robots.

I could have completely done without the parts about the humans. If the entire movie had focused only on Wall-e and the robots, I would have been happy.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on January 05, 2012, 02:41:20 PM
Quote from: Scissorlegs on January 05, 2012, 11:09:44 AM

I could have completely done without the parts about the humans. If the entire movie had focused only on Wall-e and the robots, I would have been happy.
The robots definitly steal the movie. I love the little OCD cleaner robot, particularly when he realises he does not have to follow the line on the floor!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: Ali on January 05, 2012, 02:26:03 PM
I love WALL-E.  I'm kind of into "dystopian futures" and WALL-E is the only children's movie I have really seen in the genre.  And I've seen a LOT of children's movies.  My 3 year old has grown out of them now, but we used to have to give him twice daily nebulizer treatments for his asthma, and the one way we found that he would sit still for the 15-20-ish minutes each treatment ate up was to pop in a kid's flick.  Thankfully he is now old enough to use an inhaler instead.
You're quite right. I'd have never thought you could have made an affirmative post apocalyptic film that kids and adults could both enjoy.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on January 05, 2012, 02:48:56 PM
Quote from: Ali on January 05, 2012, 02:26:03 PM
You're quite right. I'd have never thought you could have made an affirmative post apocalyptic film that kids and adults could both enjoy.

Would it still count as post apocalyptic if the humans technically survived?
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: Budhorse4 on January 05, 2012, 02:53:23 PM
{snip}

That depends on how apocalyptic the apocalyps was. Most fiction I have seen/read rather depends on survivors of some description simply to create an emotional narative. Even AI, where the boy android is the only survivor, has an 'observer' in the shape of the future androids. In Wall-E some thousands of years had passed since the Earth's environment had ceased to be able to suppport human life.

Even after 'snowball Earth' and the 'Big 5' extinction events something survived.

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on January 05, 2012, 03:18:03 PM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on January 05, 2012, 02:53:23 PM
{snip}

That depends on how apocalyptic the apocalyps was. Most fiction I have seen/read rather depends on survivors of some description simply to create an emotional narative. Even AI, where the boy android is the only survivor, has an 'observer' in the shape of the future androids. In Wall-E some thousands of years had passed since the Earth's environment had ceased to be able to suppport human life.

Even after 'snowball Earth' and the 'Big 5' extinction events something survived.

Good point. I never really watch apocalypse movies so I forgot about that.

I think WALL-E had a good point about showing us what could happen to the earth if we continue to be wasteful. Sure, Earth would recover, but I would not like to think of all the species that have to go extinct before that happens.

The snowball earth comment reminded me of a series of documentaries about Earth's major disasters throughout history. Starting with the first life on earth and going on. I've been wanting to watch it again.

I'm cheerful because it's almost Friday.  ;D
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

DeterminedJuliet

I'm cheerful because, at this time of day, the sun shines directly into our apartment and makes most of our living space all warm and cozy.
And I have tea.
In my Tardis mug.
;D
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Buddy

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on January 05, 2012, 03:38:57 PM
I'm cheerful because, at this time of day, the sun shines directly into our apartment and makes most of our living space all warm and cozy.
And I have tea.
In my Tardis mug.
;D

I have never watched Doctor Who, but I want to. Do I start with the original Doctor, or does it not matter?

Tank

Quote from: Budhorse4 on January 05, 2012, 03:42:39 PM
And I have tea.
In my Tardis mug.
;D

I have never watched Doctor Who, but I want to. Do I start with the original Doctor, or does it not matter?
No. Don't start with the original Dr now. Start with the first of the new stuff were Christopher Eccleston plays the Dr. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_%28series_1%29

The historical stuff is very dated now and the new stuff still has the 'spirit' as it was created by a huge fan Russell T Davies who really brought the characters up to date.

DeterminedJuliet

I agree with Tank, start with the "new series"
Also, prepare to fall in love with Dave Tennant, just sayin'.

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on January 05, 2012, 03:51:17 PM
And I have tea.
In my Tardis mug.
;D

No. Don't start with the original Dr now. Start with the first of the new stuff were Christopher Eccleston plays the Dr.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_%28series_1%29

The historical stuff is very dated now and the new stuff still has the 'spirit' as it was created by a huge fan Russell T Davies who really brought the characters up to date.

Thanks Tank. We get the BBC at our house and I think it should be on Netflix. Now I can watch the BBC without it being Topgear (which is fun to watch, but I am car illiterate) I've also noticed that Doctor Who has gotten extremely popular with Americans lately. Have they finally accepted the fact that there own TV programs are rubbish? :D

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Budhorse4 on January 05, 2012, 04:01:40 PM
Quote from: Tank on January 05, 2012, 03:51:17 PM
And I have tea.
In my Tardis mug.
;D

No. Don't start with the original Dr now. Start with the first of the new stuff were Christopher Eccleston plays the Dr.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_%28series_1%29

Thanks Tank. We get the BBC at our house and I think it should be on Netflix. Now I can watch the BBC without it being Topgear (which is fun to watch, but I am car illiterate) I've also noticed that Doctor Who has gotten extremely popular with Americans lately. Have they finally accepted the fact that there own TV programs are rubbish? :D

I live in the commonwealth, so I feel entitled to UK programming :D

Buddy

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on January 05, 2012, 04:05:40 PM

I live in the commonwealth, so I feel entitled to UK programming :D

Lucky you. When I was in Sweden, a lot of our programs were in English, so I grew up with English television.