News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: not your typical... on November 13, 2011, 07:42:29 PM
Quote from: Tank on November 13, 2011, 07:38:54 PM
What was their reaction?
First, I was being 'disobedient and wrong and spiteful.' Then came the , 'WTF is your HAFamily?'
LOL!  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

not your typical...

Quote from: Tank on November 13, 2011, 07:48:45 PM
Yeah, apperantly it's wrong for me to know atheist now too. smh, I can't win.
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

Tank

Quote from: not your typical... on November 13, 2011, 07:51:02 PM
Quote from: Tank on November 13, 2011, 07:48:45 PM
Yeah, apperantly it's wrong for me to know atheist now too. smh, I can't win.
Of course you can, just be yourself and do as little harm to others as you can.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

not your typical...

Quote from: Tank on November 13, 2011, 08:04:31 PM
Of course you can, just be yourself and do as little harm to others as you can.
If that's the basis of winning, how on EARTH is Charlie Sheen doing it?! ;)
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: not your typical... on November 12, 2011, 07:32:28 PM
And to all who have said I'll convert to atheism soon, you just might be right... ;D

On the "Dawkins Scale" thread, you said that you were a Number 1, which means that you know that there is a God.  In your explanation, you said that God and Jesus had proven their existence to you many times, or something to that effect.  Now, you say that you may "convert" to atheism, which means, at the very least, a lack of belief in gods.  Now do you see why no one should claim to "know" about the existence or lack of existence of God?  Such "knowledge" only amounts to a subjective feeling, and is capable of being changed, which means that it wasn't knowledge to begin with.  Do you see the inconsistency of these two positions that you have taken?

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 13, 2011, 08:44:53 PM
Quote from: not your typical... on November 12, 2011, 07:32:28 PM
And to all who have said I'll convert to atheism soon, you just might be right... ;D

On the "Dawkins Scale" thread, you said that you were a Number 1, which means that you know that there is a God.  In your explanation, you said that God and Jesus had proven their existence to you many times, or something to that effect.  Now, you say that you may "convert" to atheism, which means, at the very least, a lack of belief in gods.  Now do you see why no one should claim to "know" about the existence or lack of existence of God?  Such "knowledge" only amounts to a subjective feeling, and is capable of being changed, which means that it wasn't knowledge to begin with.  Do you see the inconsistency of these two positions that you have taken?
nyt... can go from a 1 to a 6, which is perfectly reasonable. She does not have to go from knowing god exists(1) to knowing he doesn't(7). She can quite happily move from knowing (1) to a place of 'not proven'(6).

not your typical...

Quote from: Tank on November 13, 2011, 08:50:37 PM
nyt... can go from a 1 to a 6, which is perfectly reasonable. She does not have to go from knowing god exists(1) to knowing he doesn't(7). She can quite happily move from knowing (1) to a place of 'not proven'(6).
Thank you Tank. And Ecurb, I was wavering in my faith. A storm came, and like any decent branch on a tree, I shook. I guess that's not allowed to happen now?

Ecurb Noselrub

But that would show that her "knowledge" as a 1 wasn't "knowledge" at all.  That's my whole point - no one on either side should ever claim to be in a place of "knowledge" about this subject.  Neither 1's nor 7's are rational.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: not your typical... on November 13, 2011, 09:00:18 PM
Thank you Tank. And Ecurb, I was wavering in my faith. A storm came, and like any decent branch on a tree, I shook. I guess that's not allowed to happen now?

Oh, certainly, I have doubts all the time.  But that's the point - I'm not claiming "knowledge" as a 1.  I realize I could be wrong, so I'm a 2.  I don't think anyone should be a 1 or a 7, at least not at this stage of human knowledge.

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 13, 2011, 09:09:50 PM

But that would show that her "knowledge" as a 1 wasn't "knowledge" at all.  That's my whole point - no one on either side should ever claim to be in a place of "knowledge" about this subject.  Neither 1's nor 7's are rational.
But you claim an irrational case of 'knowledge' (1) having had your epiphany on the day you took LSD, do you not?

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Tank on November 13, 2011, 09:15:50 PM

But you claim an irrational case of 'knowledge' (1) having had your epiphany on the day you took LSD, do you not?

I had the subjective feeling of certainty at the time, but do not claim that as "knowledge" in the sense I mean here.  As I thought I explained, to say with certainty that I "know" something would require me to be able to prove empirically beyond any reasonable doubt that something was true.  That would usually require some capacity to demonstrate a particular reality through repeatable experimentation, which I cannot do in the case of God. Thus, I am a "2" on the scale.  My experiences over the past 40 years have created faith - I do not claim that they have created knowledge.

DeterminedJuliet

I don't see a reason to take another person's self-indentification with the scale so personally.

If a poster here went from a "6" to a "1", I might raise an eyebrow to myself, but I don't think I'd jump all over them.   :-\
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Asmodean

Asmodean the Evilly-Mage-Like One finally got his fingers on Skyrim! The good people of Tamriel tremble in fear now. And THAT is a reason to be very cheerful indeed  ;D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on November 18, 2011, 04:06:30 PM
Asmodean the Evilly-Mage-Like One finally got his fingers on Skyrim! The good people of Tamriel tremble in fear now. And THAT is a reason to be very cheerful indeed  ;D
See you back in a week then?  ;D

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on November 18, 2011, 04:07:18 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on November 18, 2011, 04:06:30 PM
Asmodean the Evilly-Mage-Like One finally got his fingers on Skyrim! The good people of Tamriel tremble in fear now. And THAT is a reason to be very cheerful indeed  ;D
See you back in a week then?  ;D
Oh, no, I can easily combine my love for Skyrim with my love for this place  ;D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.