News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Cicada Brood XIII

Started by SteveS, June 05, 2007, 03:35:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveS

Okay, it's been 17 years since these guys last came up in my area.  I was 18 then (oh, where did the years go?).  Now they're back - last weekend I say a whole bunch, and only this morning I was able to convince my 3 year-old to let one walk on her hand.  She liked it, and now she wants to go looking for more.  Mom and the 5yo wouldn't have anything to do with it.

So, anyway, I don't if any of you live in areas where you've experienced these things, but they're really cool --- they sort of own the whole area for a few weeks.  It's a really impressive display of the natural world.  I'm attaching a few pictures of one on my hand with a quarter so you can see their size and what they look like (this one "seemed small", how that for a quantified scientific expression?  Good thing I'm not a working naturalist.....).  I'll see if I can get some more pictures of their shells and stuff --- these things just fascinate me.

Also, here's a link to a site that is tracking the emergence (seems light so far) which is sort of cool:

http://cicadas.lcfpd.org/cicadamap/

McQ

We got the Brood X last two summers ago. They were everywhere. I didn't realize they came out in different parts of the US in different years. We have 15 more years to wait for them again. Cool, aren't they?
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

SteveS

They are cool.  I found another one today after work (I'm not getting many in my yard --- the subdivision is new, too much construction).  I've now convinced my 5 year old to hold it also.  She thought it was fun.

Cicadas are really docile, they just sit on you.  They don't move fast and they don't bite or sting, so I take it as a good opportunity to teach my kids not to be afraid of insects.  Maybe learn some appreciation for insects as part of nature, not something to be afraid of, or revolted by.  My wife is, well, "highly intolerant" (lol) of insects.  Just seems like she'd have less stress if she wasn't so worried about bugs.  Since some of this rubs off on the kids, I try to counteract it.

Any theories on the evolutionary advantage to only coming up every 17 years?  I was talking to the guys at work about this a few days ago at lunch.  The best anyone could come up with is that it would prevent a predator from evolving specifically to eat you.