News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Good picture, JJ. In my walks along the brook I have so far dpotted two dragonflies, actually one dragon and one damsel, but neither of the buggers stayed still long enough. They often have a favourite perching/observation point when resting between hunting forays, find that and you are in!

I only ever seem to see cabbage whites these days, maybe four per walk, but there are currently few flowers in bloom.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on July 09, 2018, 02:16:38 PM
Question, would it be worth it to "buy" the last full version of Lightroom even though Adobe won't be adding features to their standalone software? I don't have reliable Internet access with my laptop and I'm not sure how their subscription based version works.

Yes, I think Lightroom is a valuable tool. Just a pity that Adobe have adopted their subscription-based system. There is a slider called "Higlights" that will solve the overblown highlights causing the glare problem in your dragonfly's eye.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 09, 2018, 03:20:47 PM
Question, would it be worth it to "buy" the last full version of Lightroom even though Adobe won't be adding features to their standalone software? I don't have reliable Internet access with my laptop and I'm not sure how their subscription based version works.

Yes, I think Lightroom is a valuable tool. Just a pity that Adobe have adopted their subscription-based system. There is a slider called "Higlights" that will solve the overblown highlights causing the glare problem in your dragonfly's eye.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the Highlights slider will only really work properly if your photo is in NEF (RAW) format. JPG photos cannot be adjusted as effectively.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

I've been shooting in both NEF and the highest quality jpeg. I don't have a way to work with NEF at the moment but thought I'd "future proof" my photos, just in case.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on July 09, 2018, 03:30:56 PM
I've been shooting in both NEF and the highest quality jpeg. I don't have a way to work with NEF at the moment but thought I'd "future proof" my photos, just in case.

There are some excellent, free NEF editors out there you could download. Unfortunately, none of them are quite up Lightroom's abilities, but I urge you strongly to try them and to start editing in NEF format. Then, when you are satisfied, you export into JPG or whatever format you choose. Do a Google search on free Lightroom equivalents. I use a standalone version of Lightroom.

Look at this site:
https://alternativeto.net/software/adobe-lightroom/?license=free
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

You can get Photoshop CS2 here
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/downloadnow/3689/?evp=87891a21479434ff268a84747f5f653c&file=1

It's kinda abandon-wear.
It still works but the windows behave a bit strangely.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Tank

Liverpool July 2018 Fujifilm X30 'Velvia' mode. No post processing except cropping to shape.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

hermes2015

― Charles Eames

Dave

I have never seen multicoloured dazzle camouflage! All the warship versions seemed to be in shades of black through grey to white.

Your usual standard of great pics, Tank!

Bad Penny II

I like Tank's field of flowers, I suspect there'd be bees though.
Na, if there was a hint of a whisper of a buzz he'd of had his macro out.

This below is a dear, it's a kind of quadruped.
They were in the back yard so I went out the front door and stalked it stealthily around the elevated timber deck, watching through windows as I stepped on a crunchy leaf.
They were 40 metres away, they heard, looked up but didn't run. They are more skittish than roos.  Roos are protected natives (sorta) dears aren't.
My daughter was visiting and commented on how the dears are darker than they used to be, I said evolution, she said doesn't that take ages, I told her about the Industrial Revolutionist Moths.

I got a nifty fifty because the internet told me to and there was a free month of Amazon Prime, (which I must remember to cancel) I got one those macro extendery tuby thingoes too.  Ye I'm up with all the tech talk.  So the pic is of some stones in the sand.  I think I'll take some more pics of stones in the sand, they're magically gorgeous, don't pick them up though or you break the spell.

There be whales! Off with the nifty fifty on with the long lens.
Fin whales, they are a bit dull.  They aren't jumpy like humpbacks.
I read somewhere right whales were named such cause they were the right ones to harpoon, you latch onto a fin whale and you'll wish you didn't.
I suppose the harpoons with the explosive heads cured the fins of their unruly ways.
Ye it's a crap pic but I told a story so don't complain.

I liked the look of it full screen high res.

Just a surfer.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dave

Took another walk round another route, actually found a budleia with a butterfly on it! Right at the top, max zoom, against the sky and with a breeze fluttering the the flowers about. Not my best shot, even with my little Lumix, but at least not another cabbage white! Maybe a peacock, never got a full wing show before it took off.

This was the best out of ten.

Another non-cabbage white - spot the meadow brown.

(Quite easy here, not quite so with the eyeball and more area to search in real life!)

Tank

jumbojak