News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Reminders from God

Started by Sophus, December 26, 2008, 06:16:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophus

Do you ever notice how theists are constantly using everyday "miracles" as signs/proof of god? Why do they need to keep looking for things to reassure themselves their buddy up above is real? If you really are so sure of something then why do you keep trying to prove it? I thought that was the whole point of faith. This makes me wonder how many people truly are under the God delusion and how many are just defending their beliefs to maintain their social situation.

Thoughts?
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

LARA

I guess it doesn't bother me.  Good things happen, bad things happen.  Bad things turn out to be good sometimes and vice versa.  Most of the perception of good and bad is in the mind, other than  the obvious very bad things like acts of violence.  If someone wants to believe that this is due to their imaginary friend, they have the right to do so.  I have the right to think they are wacko.

I find that trying to impose atheism on others is an exercise in pointlessness and may very well be detrimental.  After all, if atheism were the socially acceptable norm, all the believers would be hiding their true thoughts.  With freedom of speech and religion, we get to see who we think is really, truly crazy.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

Wraitchel

Lacking real evidence, they use whatever they can get to shore up their ramshackle beliefs. That said, I think my fundy friend feels really good when she thanks her heavenly father for every blessing, and she certainly feels stronger for requesting help with every challenge. I have been wondering lately about the inclusion of belief in a higher power in the AA 12 steps program. I've known a couple of recovering alkies. One chose plain old god for his higher power. Another chose a pack of ciggies. The underlying belief is that the alcoholic is not capable of coping with emotional stress without supernatural intervention (or the illusion of such). I think that further reinforces an already existing sense of helplessness and low self esteem which is an integral part of the alcoholic personality. My fundy friend is not a addict (except maybe to food), but she certainly holds the belief that she cannot carry her own weight in the world. The stress in her life makes her so ill that she spends dozens of days out of any given year in bed, despite having three children depending on her.

Wechtlein Uns

I have no idea why christians are still looking to prove god. Could the rise of science have something to do with it? I'm not sure, as people have been coming up with proofs of god since ancient times. Maybe people aren't trying to latch onto proof per se, they just see what they believe to be a miracle and say so?
"What I mean when I use the term "god" represents nothing more than an interactionist view of the universe, a particularite view of time, and an ever expansive view of myself." -- Jose Luis Nunez.

Will

The other day I had every green light going to work! Praise god!

Oh, for Pete's sake...
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

SSY

Every time something happens that isn't a miracle, it reminds of why I'm an atheist.

Also, while this probably makes me a bad person, everytime something abd happens to a religious person, I have the overwhelming desire to ask them "Wheres your god now? huh?" in the most sardonic and condescending tone I can muster.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "SSY"Every time something happens that isn't a miracle, it reminds of why I'm an atheist.

Also, while this probably makes me a bad person, everytime something abd happens to a religious person, I have the overwhelming desire to ask them "Wheres your god now? huh?" in the most sardonic and condescending tone I can muster.

-Curio

SSY

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat".

Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

LARA

Hey Will!  For a second there I thought you were Curiosity.  And check out that new regional moderator status.  Well deserved, I might say.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

Will

Quote from: "LARA"Hey Will!  For a second there I thought you were Curiosity.
There are certainly worse people to be confused for!
Quote from: "LARA"And check out that new regional moderator status.  Well deserved, I might say.
*bows* I shall do my very best.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Willravel"There are certainly worse people to be confused for!

Don't be so sure.  ;)
-Curio