News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

do you believe in GHOSTS

Started by Asmodean Prime, July 11, 2006, 12:52:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean Prime

if so, what do you think they are?
have you ever seen one?

and is it possible for an atheist to believe in ghosts or spirits, when your belief system seems to imply that man is alone in the universe, without any unseen beings

also, do you believe in UFOs

if you do, what do you think they are?

McQ

No. I do not believe in ghosts.

I don't know why an atheist would believe in ghosts or spirits, but that would be up to each individual. Not all people who don't believe in God are the same, or even hold all the same beliefs.

Plus, humans are not alone in the universe. There is life all around us here on Earth, and likely elsewhere in the cosmos.

Belive in UFOs? Do you mean all of the reports of Earth being visited by flying saucers and the like? If so, then no. People who believe that have a huge lack of understanding of the size of the universe, galaxy, solar system and physics.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Big Mac

I don't believe in ghosts, however there are plenty of weird things that can't be explained. Some have been proven to be hoaxes, others have been Unsolved Mysteries (which was a really kick ass show). I think that aliens exist considering the massive size in the Universe, but I doubt they would want to visit Earth. I mean if you perfected Inter-stellar/galatic travel, would you want to visit a planet that has primitive warlike people who kill each other over resources instead of using civilized diplomacy? I sure the fuck wouldn't.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Court

I used to be obsessed with Unsolved Mysteries. It used to scare the crap out of me :)
[size=92]
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
[/size]
[size=92]
try having a little faith = stop using your brain for a while -- ziffel[/size]

Big Mac

Quote from: "Court"I used to be obsessed with Unsolved Mysteries. It used to scare the crap out of me :)

Dude Unsolved Mysteries rocks! I used to get home from school and flip it to Lifetime to catch it. I remember they used to play 3 hours of it on Saturday Nights back in the 90's. Man, those were the days.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

MommaSquid

No ghosts.  No UFO's.  

No:  heaven, hell, god, satan, Santa Claus  :(  (sorry Santa).  No karma or reincarnation.  

There may be other intelligent life in the universe.  I just hope they aren't writing any cookbooks.  (Please tell me someone got that!)

onlyme,your questions are welcome here.  Are you ready for the answers?

Asmodean Prime

Quote from: "MommaSquid"I just hope they aren't writing any cookbooks.  (Please tell me someone got that!)

hah...grok

Amor Fati

Firstly, Atheism is only a belief regarding the non-existence of God or gods.  Atheism itself does not require a belief in what's called philosophical naturalism or metaphysical materialism.  

These two usually interchangable ideas argue that the universe consists of nothing but physical things.  So if you're a naturalist or a materialist, then if ghosts exist they have to material things.  

Atheism and materialism are not the same belief.  In fact, most buddhists are also at the same time atheists, and yet they certainly believe in some kind of non-physical spiritual substance.  

UFO's are entirely possible, though I've never seen one and I find claims about them highly suspicious.  On the other hand, life certainly exists elsewhere in the universe, it just depends on what you include as 'life'.

McQ

Quote from: "MommaSquid"I just hope they aren't writing any cookbooks.  (Please tell me someone got that!)

Ha! "To Serve Man"

Love it, MommaSquid!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Whitney

Quote from: "onlyme"if so, what do you think they are?
have you ever seen one?

No, I don't believe in ghosts and have never seen one.

Quoteand is it possible for an atheist to believe in ghosts or spirits, when your belief system seems to imply that man is alone in the universe, without any unseen beings

The only thing common among atheists is that we don't believe in a god or gods.  I don't know why an atheist would believe in ghosts but it is possible...there are some spiritual atheists, I just haven't met very many of them.

Quotealso, do you believe in UFOs

if you do, what do you think they are?

A UFO is just an unidentified flying object...so ya, in that way they do exist from time to time.  UFOs are typically hoaxes but in some cases can be a secret military plane undergoing testing.

But I don't think aliens are visiting this planet...they would have either been discovered by someone other than rednecks out in the middle of nowhere or someone would have leaked confirmation of their existance.  The government can't even cover up something like Watergate (sorry, american example)...how could they hide aliens.

It is very possible that life exists somewhere out there in the universe..maybe even intelligent life.  They either live too far away to get here given their current technology, don't care to mess with stupid humans, scared of humans since we have so many wars, or maybe there aren't any at all.

Jassman

Quote from: "laetusatheos"But I don't think aliens are visiting this planet...they would have either been discovered by someone other than rednecks out in the middle of nowhere or someone would have leaked confirmation of their existance.

"And I'll tell you something too. That's starting to annoy me about UFOs, the fact that they cross galaxies or universes to visit us, and always end up in places like... Fyffe fucking Alabama... Maybe these aren't superintelligent beings, y'know what I mean?" -Bill Hicks

Sorry, I just can't hold back the quotes from my favorite comedians sometimes...
[size=75]"You ever notice how people who believe in creationism look really unevolved?" -Bill Hicks[/size]

[size=75]I'm drowning in the fear of gods. The more I see the less I want. I was not raised

Huxley

The universe must be, statistically at the very least, teeming with life form.

There may even be some life forms that are advanced enough to consider travelling to the stars. (There is at least one example we know of)

There is no evidence that anything or anyone has visited here other than anecdote. I'm afraid that doesn't count.

Asmodean Prime

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

I'm impressed with the level of discussion and intelligence on this forum, even from the young, and those that have expressed a dislike or suspicion of me.

I still think I'm right, though, in that we will all be humbled by God at some point.

Just my own personal experience speaking, thought I'd pass it on, for what it's worth, whether you hold it in any regard or not.  Just trying to be helpful, that's all, believe it or not.  I am not your enemy, peeps.

MommaSquid

Edit:

Quote from: "onlyme"...... we will all be humbled by God at some point.

Most of us (here) don't believe in god, so you're just flapping your fingers for nothing when you say stuff like that.  Still, I respect your right to state your beliefs.  No matter how much we disagree with you on that issue, your presence here is valued.

Asmodean Prime

Mommasquid

I thank you for your post, and respect you for it.  You caught on, then, did you, that I was speaking primarily of you and court?

As regards your other point, I only say that we should keep an open mind.  None of us should get so arrogant that we could say I will never bow down to or acknowledge a higher power.

I don't have anything against any of you on this forum.  You think you have better insights than me on some things, I think I have better insights on other things.  Time will tell.  We are all people.