News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

New black atheist to the forum

Started by Timor, May 25, 2010, 07:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karadan

Welcome to the forum Tim (that's also my name :) ). Hope you have fun here.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Tank

Tim

May I ask why you introduced yourself as a 'black atheist'? It's apparently important to you that we know this particular aspect about you but it is an aspect we could never know unless you told us or showed us in a picture. I'm asking you this because I once thought to myself, how many members at RDF were black or asian or white and considered starting a thread about it. I didn't because it occurred to me how rude and bad mannered it would be. On a forum it's what you say that counts, all aspects of a persons physicality are irrelevant. There was one chap at RDF who was practically blind, we met once for a pint as he was passing through Leeds once. Another member who I had never seen is the scruffiest individual I have ever laid eyes on but as erudite as one could wish for on the forum. So I am interested why you mention an aspect of your physicality, that on a forum makes no practical difference to how you are perceived?

Leslie

Yes! I know! I didn't choose it, it's my Fathers name too  :rant:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

pinkocommie

Quote from: "Tank"Leslie

...You have seriously got to be the most English man I've ever run into on the internet.  I hope you don't find that offensive!  It's just...wow.  :)
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Tank

Quote from: "pinkocommie"

...You have seriously got to be the most English man I've ever run into on the internet.  I hope you don't find that offensive!  It's just...wow.  :D  I quite enjoy the feeling of being a bit of a novelty when I'm in the USA, it usually works in my favour. Although not always, in Boston I went into a pub and there was a really obnoxious bore of a 'faux Irish' American chap who wouldn't shut up about how the IRA would kill 'The fucking Queen!' one day, his mates eventually quietened him down.

I was not aware that the 'F' word was a lot more taboo in the USA than in the UK. While being introduced to an incredibly pompous twat who said he had a degree in Marketing from Harvard I commented something like 'Well that's us fucking told!'. I swear he looked like I'd kicked him in the nuts! One of the Americans on our team said 'Don't mind that, he's English.' So my eccentricity was accepted and I could get away with quite a lot!  ;) ) of his skin in RL and much less so on a forum, so why is it important to Tim? Most intriguing.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

karadan

...You have seriously got to be the most English man I've ever run into on the internet.  I hope you don't find that offensive!  It's just...wow.  :D
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Tank

Quote from: "karadan"

...You have seriously got to be the most English man I've ever run into on the internet.  I hope you don't find that offensive!  It's just...wow.  :D

One has to type in an English accent.

Cecilie

Quote from: "Tank"I loath Cricket as a 'sport' but as an excuse for a picnic on a nice sunny summers day it's ideal as you have to pay very little attention, except when there is a good batsman and then you have to be careful of 'incoming!'.
Not that this has anything to do with anything, but how does cricket work anyway? I've never heard of a non-british person who understands that sport...
The world's what you create.

karadan

Quote from: "Cecilie"
Quote from: "Tank"I loath Cricket as a 'sport' but as an excuse for a picnic on a nice sunny summers day it's ideal as you have to pay very little attention, except when there is a good batsman and then you have to be careful of 'incoming!'.
Not that this has anything to do with anything, but how does cricket work anyway? I've never heard of a non-british person who understands that sport...

I started a new thread with the explanation because i didn't want to derail this one.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4989&p=66851#p66851

Tank

Tanker

Quote from: "karadan"

Match more of the stereotypes then normal mabye?

And welcome to our humble forum Tim.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

Cecilie

Tank

Quote from: "Cecilie"Haha. Leslie...
:P

elliebean

I was in 5th grade the first time I met anyone by the name Leslie, and that was a boy in my class. So it holds no particular connotation with me, though he went by Les.

@OP: I was curious about that as well, then I remembered this post from just over a month ago. I do get it, though, I think; I kind of spelled out everything I could about my identity in my intro, just to sort of test how ok people were going to be with it. No complaints, so far.  :cool:
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

Tank

To prevent confusion I think I should point out that Leslie isn't my first name it's my middle name, my first name is Christopher. The discussions where Leslie came up in America was when we were discussing names in general. But I was happy to have the nick name Leslie as it's a bit different and as such gets remembered. So I'm Chris or Leslie whichever takes your fancy  :D

Cecilie

Now everybody tell their names.  :bananacolor: