News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

So....How do you deal with the Bible Belt?

Started by MiiriChan, August 09, 2011, 07:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiiriChan

I have honestly wanted to move to the UK for the longest time.  It seems safer there than it is in the US.  I'm not joking.  These people are training their children in masses to rebel against the government policy of Seperation of Church and State.  Just watch the documentary 'Jesus Camp'.  It scares me so badly that I shudder to think about it.  This place is absolute madness.  As soon as I can, I'm getting out of here.

Whitney

Quote from: MiiriChan on August 10, 2011, 04:05:48 PM
I have honestly wanted to move to the UK for the longest time.  It seems safer there than it is in the US.  I'm not joking.  These people are training their children in masses to rebel against the government policy of Seperation of Church and State.  Just watch the documentary 'Jesus Camp'.  It scares me so badly that I shudder to think about it.  This place is absolute madness.  As soon as I can, I'm getting out of here.

Be careful not to let your small town experience shape how the rest of the country is going..the Jesus Camp types don't do well in metro areas as they tend to be shunned by the average christian.  It's not necessary to move across the pond to escape the crazy; moving a state or two over should be sufficient and even metro areas should be much better even if you decide to live in state after school.  But when you do get a chance to move I suggest large cities along the East Coast or North West area to optimize your atmosphere.

roy1967

Yep.

Stay away from Kansas.  Our Governor is reversing years of hard fought for progressive achievements (not really that hard to do here, 'cause there were'nt that many to begin with), and taking us backwards.  Not to mention that we are the home of the Westboro Baptist nutjobs, and although not many people here would publicly support them, I'm fairly sure Kansas has plenty of idiot neanderthals who think along the same lines.

The bigger cities are where the progressives are.
The school is the last expenditure upon which America should be willing to economize.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

MiiriChan

Well....my mom gave the school board no end of shit and has ended up deciding to take me out of school altogether and homeschool me!  Yay!
Quote from: Whitney on August 10, 2011, 04:49:30 PM
Quote from: MiiriChan on August 10, 2011, 04:05:48 PM

Be careful not to let your small town experience shape how the rest of the country is going..the Jesus Camp types don't do well in metro areas as they tend to be shunned by the average christian.  It's not necessary to move across the pond to escape the crazy; moving a state or two over should be sufficient and even metro areas should be much better even if you decide to live in state after school.  But when you do get a chance to move I suggest large cities along the East Coast or North West area to optimize your atmosphere.
I do realize that loads of places in the U.S. are better.  The Bible Belt is not my reason for wanting to go "across the pond".  I personally love London and have almost always wanted to live somewhere in the big cities of the UK.  I also realize that most Christians shun these insane radicals.  One of my best friends is Christian and she loves to here my side of anything political and religious before deciding her side.  I adore her.  She's awesome.
Plus, the freaky Texas govener that organized a state wide prayer rally is going for president.  I'd really like to get out of here if he gets elected.
Anyways, I'm also thinking of "coming out" as atheist.  How might I do that?  If I'm not going to this school at the end of the semester, I'd like to cause as much trouble on the political front as I can.  Maybe give some of these hicks something to think about.

fester30

I have often thought about getting a tattoo of Leviticus 19:28 and walk around Arkansas showing it to people.

Tank

Quote from: MiiriChan on August 18, 2011, 10:06:15 PM
{snip}
Anyways, I'm also thinking of "coming out" as atheist.  How might I do that?  If I'm not going to this school at the end of the semester, I'd like to cause as much trouble on the political front as I can.  Maybe give some of these hicks something to think about.
What do you mean by "coming out"? Would you actively assert your world view or simply offer it up when the subject (or theistic debate) came up?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jsprouse

I am a Christian and you may not want my advice and that is okay :) But I would say be honest that you don't believe and be able to give some intellectually viable reasons for why you are not a Christian. Most Christians (I would say unfortunately) will stay away from you if they know that you are an atheist. No need to hide, but stand up for what you believe in. Be open to the truth and never believe something just because someone says that it is true. I can say all this because I truly believe that there are good reasons and evidence that God is real.

Xjeepguy

My advice is to be who you are, but bear in mind that in the deep south there is a mindset that if you attack their god, you are attacking them. If you "come out" as an Atheist, good for you, but..... you aren't dealing with the upper crust of american society here. I have seen religious rednecks vandalize property, as well as harass people just because they don't believe the way they do. So come out, but don't be offensive about it. Remember, religion has been the cause of more bloodshed than any other reason.
If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times. -Heisenberg

Sandra Craft

Quote from: MiiriChan on August 09, 2011, 10:16:53 PM
What about this Unitarian Universalist Church in my area?  Would that work?  I don't really know what the Universalists are like so can anyone tell me that too?

Congrats on the homeschooling, probably your best option at this point anyway.  As for the UU church, they tend to differ from place to place.  The one that I attend sometimes is mostly Buddhists and Pagans, but in your area who knows?  I do agree it wouldn't hurt to give them a try, go to a service or two, have a talk with their pastor.  It might turn out to be a gathering place for local atheists as well as liberal Xtians.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Sweetdeath

Come to New York City. :)
We're like Nevada with less prostitutes.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

fyv0h

There's an easy way to live in the south as an Atheist. It's called "Escape and Evade." Unless you live in the deep deep south, then it's called "Concealed Carry Permit."
Jesus freaks out in the street. Handing tickets out for God.
Turning back, she just laughs. The boulevard is not that bad.  ~Elton John

لا إله

WWSDJD - What Would Sammy Davis Jr Do?

fyv0h

Quote from: Sweetdeath on September 10, 2011, 08:03:00 AM
Come to New York City. :)
We're like Nevada with less prostitutes.

I'm not sure which is more harmful. Southern Christians or NYC cabbies.

لا إله

Sweetdeath

Yes, NYC cabbies are crazy, but so are D.C and maryland ones.  I think cabbies are all deadly. :( and mean.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

fyv0h

I don't know. I flagged down and jumped in a taxi whose driver promptly slammed into a bus, threw the car in reverse, and drove away like nothing happened. I walked everywhere after that.

لا إله