News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squid

QuoteSquid-good luck on your thesis! Let us know when you do decide on your topic.

Gracias.  Whatever I decide it'll be more likely in the biopsych/neuroscience area of health psych, possibly neuroendocrinology.

Steve - I haven't tried much of Paulaner's other brews, I need to give 'em a swig.

tigerlily46514

wow, Will ravel, i have never thought of theism as an addiction.  i guess there are a lot of similarities, aren't there?!

i've heard some comdedian, (probably George Carllin?  or Bill Mahar?) who thought of theism as a psychosis, there ARE  a lot of similarities there, too.

I think this idea for a thread for the newly de-converted is a great idea.     GO FOR IT!          :D
"religious groups should stay out of politics-OR BE TAXED."

~jean
"Once you explain why you dismiss all other possible gods-- i'll explain why i dismiss your god."

tigerlily46514

Hey, Squid, you ever heard of neuro-evolution?  I'm not really sure it is a 'field' actually, yet, anyway, but this anthropologist, Helen Fisher, she does some awesome documentaries on the field of how relationships, 'pair-bonding' has evolved through the history of humanity.  Fascinating stuff.

She takes love on down to the chemical level, and various areas of the brain that come into play.  She is brilliant.   She puts current day attitudes/customs into the context the history and evolution  of humanity, starting from our days in the trees....

Probably wouldn't work for your thesis, but when i saw you have an interest in biopsych, you might find her stuff as fascinating as i do.  i can send you this film of hers i have if you are interested.  You and your sweetie could watch it together, it is really cool.  

Even people who think they would have little interest in this topic may very well become fascinated.

Squid, what is your major?

~jean
"Once you explain why you dismiss all other possible gods-- i'll explain why i dismiss your god."

Squid

Oh yeah, I've read lots of Helen Fisher's stuff.  I did a paper as a final undergrad project on theories of love and read over much of her work.  Oddly enough I had already had that line of thinking going when I ran across her stuff.

What film is it?  I might have already seen it!

I got my undergrad degree in psychology, I'm doing my masters in health psychology and epidemiology and hope to do my Ph.D. in behavioral neuroscience.

tigerlily46514

i have it in my 'favorites.' It is some speech she gave on this topic.  i'll send it when i am  sober, ha ha!!  Heck, maybe i'll start a thread with it!...

DONCHA JUST LOVE HER STUFF!!??  Yeah, with me too, she was saying stuff i already knew/sensed, only in a much more intelligent way, with studies/research to back it up.

~jean

tacoma_kyle

Had a shitty fuckin day.
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

Eclecticsaturn

Whats on my mind? Well today i will be with my wife for 8 years and and married for 4 years (same date. Tommarrow actually but celebrating it today.) Well, its be 8 years, im working 2 jobs, we have 10 month old and she still wants me to be the old romantic self and come up with a nice romantic night and my brains fried . I need to figure something out.

(good idea for a post though, btw)

rlrose328

Here's what's on my mind... I just got back from a cruise to Alaska and a stop in Victoria, BC, Canada, so I'm a tad bummed though happy to be home after a week.  The cat is neurotic and won't shut up... you'd think she's never alone in this house!

The kid is driving me BATSHIT... he's 7 going on 17, with an attitude to match.  He may not go on another cruise until he can afford it himself.   :(   Thank goodness school starts on Wednesday.  (Which is weird in and of itself since we have Fridays off, so it's a two day school week.)

I have a filthy house to catch up on... never got to it before we left.  Luckily, I have a great hubby who has almost done all of the laundry from the cruise.

Anyway... that's me... and why I've been quiet in case you missed me.  :-)
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

tigerlily46514

Oh eletric saturn![  i wish i'd seen this in time! I've got lotsa ideas to help you out.  But you know, most women are touched inside by the EFFORT,  the thought, even if it kinda wasn't really elaborate ....knowing you cared counts a LOT.

Congratulations on your anniversary anyway!
And good luck scraping together energy with a 10 month old in the home!  someday you will look back and wonder how you did it!

One piece of unasked for advice, from one parent to another, make sure, absolutely sure, you two DO always set aside "couple time"....Like maybe every Friday, or every wednesday, is date-nite.  I know with 2 jobs, that'll be tough, plus, whenever you get ready to go out, the baby will spike a fever, but just the same, as best as you can, keep on dating, keep on being a couple throughout these hectic years of your life.  

:wink:        It WAS a good idea for a post!!!

~jean

tigerlily46514

rlrose, put the kid in the tub! ha ha!  

How was the cruise??

~jean

rlrose328

tigerlily, the cruise was FANTASTIC!  It's our second in so many years, and while the hubby wants to do Hawaii next year, it may have to wait awhile because the kid needs braces in the next few years.  UGH!  At least his checkup today revealed nothing more than a little plaque in one place, so I guess he IS brushing when I tell him to.  LOL!

If anyone ever thinks of doing a cruise, I can highly recommend Alaska AND Norwegian Cruise Lines (esp. the Pearl).  Great dining choices, excellent staff, fabulous excursions.  VERY nice, especially going through the Glacier Bay... so beautiful!
**Kerri**

Whitney

Tonight I'm going to an atheist meetup to hang out with a few people I have already met and meet quite a few more new faces.  Other than that, not much on my mind today other than all the housework that should be done.

rlrose328

I'm hanging with my son and a friend of his at a playdate at the local Safari Sam's (a big play place, like Chuck E Cheese but fewer electronic games).

I sure do wish I lived closer to you so I could attend a meetup... <sigh>
**Kerri**

SteveS

Hawaii is very cool - if you get a chance to go there I'm sure you'll enjoy it.  I've stayed in Honolulu on Oaho and on the Kona Coast on the big island.  Every time I've been there I've never wanted to go home again!

McQ

Quote from: "SteveS"Hawaii is very cool - if you get a chance to go there I'm sure you'll enjoy it.  I've stayed in Honolulu on Oaho and on the Kona Coast on the big island.  Every time I've been there I've never wanted to go home again!

I hate all you people who have been to Hawaii and have said they loved it. Not that I'm bitter or anything.

Agh!

:lol:
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette