News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Historical Background of the Ideology Behind the Rise of Trump

Started by Recusant, December 17, 2016, 12:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

I thought about adding this to the "Duce" thread, but I know some people are loath to read history, and I wouldn't want to mislead them by putting it in a thread devoted to current politics.  :sidesmile:

It's a concise history of the conservative populist stream in American politics, warts and all.

"An Intellectual History of Trumpism" | Politico

QuoteThe hidden history of Trumpism suggests that the president-elect may be not simply an opportunistic showman but the leader of an at least semi-coherent ideology—a new iteration of the populist and nationalist paleoconservatism that has long lurked in the shadows of American politics. Now, for the first time since the isolationist 1930s, this ideology commands real influence, and for the first time in our history, it will enjoy favor from a sitting president. The prospects could not be more ominous.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Icarus

^ A Cliff-Notes style synopsis for a century of political history.   That article has the element of religion woven into the mix of accounts. Not a surprise.