News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Choosing an author name for scientific journals & dealing with the consequences

Started by xSilverPhinx, May 30, 2017, 02:15:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

I'm going through a bit of a dilemma; I need to choose an author name so that I can be included among other coauthors in a couple of research projects I'm involved in.

It's an important decision as the name I choose will the the one I will be identified by throughout what I hope will be a prosperous career, and it shouldn't be changed midway to avoid confusion. I thought this through and the way I see it I have two choices, I could keep my surname or go with my second middle name as my last name.

To tell the truth, I've already sort of decided to go with my second middle name. Why not my last name like most other people? Because it's extremely common in Portuguese-speaking countries. Coupled with a first name that is just as common I fear it won't make any sort of lasting impression. 

Ok, so I've sort of chosen to go with my second middle name. Now, how do I tell my narcissistic father who is looking for every opportunity to project onto his sons and daughters that I won't be building a career using his last name?  There's a slim chance he won't care much but if I know him I know he'll be deeply offended.

How do I walk on those eggshells?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Arturo

Don't care about your father. Your father isn't important. You and your career are important. Fuck your father.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Though I would not out it in quite the terms Arturo has I do tend towards looking after your future interests first.

One though, are surnames in your culture ever "double barrelled"? A hyphen between your second middle name and surname?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Arturo on May 30, 2017, 03:40:22 AM
Don't care about your father. Your father isn't important. You and your career are important. Fuck your father.

Quote from: Gloucester on May 30, 2017, 04:07:06 AM
Though I would not out it in quite the terms Arturo has I do tend towards looking after your future interests first.

Yeah, which is why I've already chosen to go with the second middle name. If he opposes my decision I would like to tell him to fuck off, though more...amiably.   

QuoteOne though, are surnames in your culture ever "double barrelled"? A hyphen between your second middle name and surname?

:notsure: I'm not sure, though I don't recall ever seeing one. The logic is the same I guess (joining mother's and father's name) but it's not generally hyphenated.

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 30, 2017, 04:23:59 AM

Yeah, which is why I've already chosen to go with the second middle name. If he opposes my decision I would like to tell him to fuck off, though more...amiably.   

QuoteOne though, are surnames in your culture ever "double barrelled"? A hyphen between your second middle name and surname?

:notsure: I'm not sure, though I don't recall ever seeing one. The logic is the same I guess (joining mother's and father's name) but it's not generally hyphenated.
Be the first, set a trend!

The use of "y" in Spanish, "Mendoza y Saragosa" an equivalent to the hyphen, is there an equivalent in Portugeuse? I know it is an aristocratic archaism now in Spain but, wtf!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on May 30, 2017, 04:35:37 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 30, 2017, 04:23:59 AM

Be the first, set a trend!

The use of "y" in Spanish, "Mendoza y Saragosa" an equivalent to the hyphen, is there an equivalent in Portugeuse? I know it is an aristocratic archaism now in Spain but, wtf!

Heh. Set a trend...I like that. :tellmemore:

:P I don't know,I don't really pay attention to that kind of thing. Maybe in Portugal there might be an "e" connecting some surnames but I don't remember seeing any such construction in Brazil. Here middle names are generally the mother's maiden name and surnames are the father's but there are no hyphens or "e"s.   

No one

OldGit

If it were me, I wouldn't bow to father's ambitions, though I'd try to pacify him.  You have a whole career to come, you don't want to be making such concessions from the start.  Mind you, I don't know your family.

Claireliontamer

Your reasons are valid so just explain them to him.  Be upfront and honest and say you've decided on using your middle name as it is more distinctive and may help your career. 

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: OldGit on May 30, 2017, 09:47:23 AM
If it were me, I wouldn't bow to father's ambitions, though I'd try to pacify him.  You have a whole career to come, you don't want to be making such concessions from the start.  Mind you, I don't know your family.

Yeah, I've already made many decisions in order to appease him that I regret, I really don't want to make any more. 

Tank

Can you use a stage name, i.e a made up one, as long you use it consistently?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Claireliontamer on May 30, 2017, 11:21:48 AM
Your reasons are valid so just explain them to him.  Be upfront and honest and say you've decided on using your middle name as it is more distinctive and may help your career.

I just hope he is understanding of my point of view! :sadnod:

I guess I'm afraid. I foresee a lot of emotional blackmailing in the future. ::)

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on May 30, 2017, 12:39:57 PM
Can you use a stage name, i.e a made up one, as long you use it consistently?

I have no idea, I can ask my supervisor that, though I think it isn't ideal.

Dave

I know at least one woman who refused to use her married surname professionaly, having become well known with her maiden name. Her new husband did not like it but, wisely,  did not make an issue if it. She was a hard headed senior commodities broker who earned five times his sslary as a senior teacher.

But, when dealing with the emotions of insecure people . . .

Sorry, xSP, made sn assumption there, most narcisistic people I have met seem to be insecure personalities.