News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Hello! New here

Started by LightLim, February 19, 2018, 01:24:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LightLim

Hi all,

I'm excited to chat about Atheist living, the Universe, spirituality, and whatnot. I'd like to know what your understanding of spirituality is. Discuss!

P.S. Rift Zone is my friend. I'm here on his referral. Hey, RZ!

Magdalena

Quote from: LightLim on February 19, 2018, 01:24:03 AM
Hi all,

I'm excited to chat about Atheist living, the Universe, spirituality, and whatnot. I'd like to know what your understanding of spirituality is. Discuss!

Hello, LightLim, welcome.  :computerwave:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

hermes2015

Hi LightLim. Always good get new new blood at HAF. Are you a scientist as well?

Regarding spirituality, you will not find too much of it here; what you will find is plenty of Gemütlichkeit.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: LightLim on February 19, 2018, 01:24:03 AM
Hi all,

Hi

Welcome to HAF.

My take on spirituality is that our evolution favoured some behaviours. Spirituality was one result. Are there spirits or a soul? No evidence to support the existance of such things.

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Greetings, LightLim!

"Spirituality" is too attached to the supernatural to be other than contentious here.  However, for me, "spirit" is a form of emotion (in low/high spirits) or a bonding ethos (esprit de corps). As "spiritual." it may also be something approaching love, a feeling invoked by a scene, a picture, music etc., a sort of transcendantal experience.

Whatever, it is entirely within the human mind, no external supernatural entities involved (because there are no supernatural entities, internal or external, anyway.)
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bluenose

G'day LightLim!

Spirituality for me is sitting on a river bank, looking at the gum trees, listening to the dawn chorus of all the birds. Nothing supernatural about it, but it is awesome!
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

Welcome to the forum, LightLim!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

Welcome to our cozy little nest LightLim. 

My notion of spiritualism is similar to Blunose's.  For me it is to be in a small noiseless boat, in a calm lake or stream, at sunrise.  Drinking in the wonder of a beautiful, tranquil, unhurried, natural world is one of the lovely pleasures of life. 

Believing that I can see, hear, or feel the presence of magic men or angels in the sky....not so much.  Most of we HAFers fall pretty much into that latter category.

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, LightLim. Pardon my curiosity, but is the "Lim" part of your username short for "liminal" or "limit" or something else entirely?

As for your question, I agree with Tank's answer. Might as well turn it around: what is your understanding of spirituality?

I hope that you enjoy your time reading and posting here.  :spagwelcome:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Quote from: Recusant on February 21, 2018, 03:11:53 AM
Hello and welcome to HAF, LightLim. Pardon my curiosity, but is the "Lim" part of your username short for "liminal" or "limit" or something else entirely?
I'm thinking something else entirely... :notsure:
Light Lim-a-rita.

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dragonia

Hi LightLim!
I haven't really thought through my definition of "spirituality" since I de-converted (it's been a while, so maybe it's time to think about my new definition). So I have no good answer for that, but maybe I'll get back to you!  ;)
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

OldGit

Welcome, LL!  I hope you find the kind of discussion here that you'd like.

Rift Zone

Hi ya,  LightLim! 

Looking forward to seeing how your conversations unfold. 
In the last few millennia we have made the most astonishing and unexpected discoveries about the Cosmos and our place within it, explorations that are exhilarating to consider. They remind us that humans have evolved to wonder, that understanding is a joy, that knowledge is prerequisite to survival.   -Carl Sagan