News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on March 15, 2018, 12:20:18 AM
She was indeed from southern Brazil. I felt a little odd passing that steaming gourd with a steel straw sticling out. My first thought was that a cop was going to peek in a window and then kick in the door, mistaking the maté ritual for a bunch of people getting stoned with a massive bowl of pot.

:lol: Well, 'erva' is also a word for 'weed'. :P

(Yes, that kind of weed)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on March 15, 2018, 12:36:01 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 14, 2018, 11:04:26 PM
Quote from: Dave on March 14, 2018, 03:40:42 PM
Well, I'm sitting here in the local library, all alone, waiting for possible customers with technology problems for the "Gadget Day". One lady using one in tbe library needed help printing a document, but that it is so far.

The other buddie has just had instructions to get something from the shop from his wife so has buggered off. There is a very attractive lady at the other end of the table, looks like she is doing research, so will have to move to the easy chairs if a customer does turn up in the next20 minutes before the library closes.

Ho, hum, the laws of such things usually demand that one either gets a queue or no-one, the latter applied this time. But John and I had a good chat for an hour.

Good day overall?

Actually . . .

After finding myself 1.5lbs under my target weight this am, thus a lunch of "smothered chicien", chocolate brownie with ice cream and half a pint of Guiness for a rare treat at the pubsturant next to the library, that chat about technology etc with Buddie John, this morning's blood test results coming in spot on the target, then  a big glass of vino with tomato bread, cheese, olives, sweet chillies and cherry tomatoes for tea, an excellent comedy prog on the radio, reading for a bit, the Hawking Reith Lecture (part 1), playing a bit with an old electronic flash gun to get the shortest possible flash out of it, some more reading with a mug of hot chocolate, listening to the world service about the case of nerve agent poisoning . . .

It's now half past midnight and I am nowhere near being able to sleep!

Soothing music time? :grin:

:P

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 15, 2018, 12:51:55 AM
Well, I'm sitting here in the local library, all alone, waiting for possible customers with technology problems for the "Gadget Day". One lady using one in tbe library needed help printing a document, but that it is so far.

The other buddie has just had instructions to get something from the shop from his wife so has buggered off. There is a very attractive lady at the other end of the table, looks like she is doing research, so will have to move to the easy chairs if a customer does turn up in the next20 minutes before the library closes.

Ho, hum, the laws of such things usually demand that one either gets a queue or no-one, the latter applied this time. But John and I had a good chat for an hour.

Good day overall?

Actually . . .

After finding myself 1.5lbs under my target weight this am, thus a lunch of "smothered chicien", chocolate brownie with ice cream and half a pint of Guiness for a rare treat at the pubsturant next to the library, that chat about technology etc with Buddie John, this morning's blood test results coming in spot on the target, then  a big glass of vino with tomato bread, cheese, olives, sweet chillies and cherry tomatoes for tea, an excellent comedy prog on the radio, reading for a bit, the Hawking Reith Lecture (part 1), playing a bit with an old electronic flash gun to get the shortest possible flash out of it, some more reading with a mug of hot chocolate, listening to the world service about the case of nerve agent poisoning . . .

That has never worked for me. Before I retired my version of counting sheep was to actually think about a work problem. In those dsys I found that soothing.  Triedbit tonight with my latest project but it did not work.

Instead, for some very, very strange reason a very, very strange book (and video) last read about 35 years ago and viewed 20 years ago came into my mind.

Gormanghast by Mervyn Peake. With its hero/villain, Steerpike:, Titus Groan, Dr Prunesquallor, Lord Sepulchrave and other crazy characters in a crazy world. It must have been influenced by Caroll's Alice stories and surely must have influenced Neil Gaiman.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

jumbojak

I have an image of Dave enjoying a Guineas and ice cream float with brownie on the bottom. Remind's me of trying to convince En_Route to dunk his jelly donuts in a pint. I really miss that guy.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on March 15, 2018, 01:21:54 AM
That has never worked for me. Before I retired my version of counting sheep was to actually think about a work problem. In those dsys I found that soothing.  Triedbit tonight with my latest project but it did not work.

Instead, for some very, very strange reason a very, very strange book (and video) last read about 35 years ago and viewed 20 years ago came into my mind.

Gormanghast.

Funny when old, buried memories suddenly surface again.

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 15, 2018, 01:37:09 AM

Gormanghast.

Funny when old, buried memories suddenly surface again.

All part of dementia ennit?

What were we talking about? Is it teatime yet?

NURSE!

hermes2015

Good day overall?

Actually . . .

Gormanghast by Mervyn Peake. With its hero/villain, Steerpike:, Titus Groan, Dr Prunesquallor, Lord Sepulchrave and other crazy characters in a crazy world. It must have been influenced by Caroll's Alice stories and surely must have influenced Neil Gaiman.

My memories of Mervyn Peake are not good. As a young man I felt compelled to read Gormenghast and Titus Groan and hated them.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 15, 2018, 03:39:13 AM

Good day overall?

Actually . . .

My memories of Mervyn Peake are not good. As a young man I felt compelled to read Gormenghast and Titus Groan and hated them.
I thought thry were fascinating!

Anyway, last thing I remember seeing on the clock was 0350 before I feel asleep.

Then, seemingly all of a sudden, it was 0410 and I was bursting for a pee . . .

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on March 15, 2018, 04:38:59 AM
Anyway, last thing I remember seeing on the clock was 0350 before I feel asleep.

Sometimes it's better not to try too hard and just read something or watch an old movie.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tom62

I'm seriously considering changing jobs again. Sure, I'm over 50, but what the heck. I haven't had a raise of salary for more than 13 years. A software company, that works for my wife's company, is looking for senior Java programmers and they are interested in me. I could earn 20,000 EUR more per year and will have a company car.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

hermes2015

Quote from: Tom62 on March 15, 2018, 05:30:33 AM
I'm seriously considering changing jobs again. Sure, I'm over 50, but what the heck. I haven't had a raise of salary for more than 13 years. A software company, that works for my wife's company, is looking for senior Java programmers and they are interested in me. I could earn 20,000 EUR more per year and will have a company car.

Seriously, 13 years at the same salary? The new position sounds good, and if it is going to be stable, go for it. I wish you luck.
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 15, 2018, 04:59:30 AM
Quote from: Dave on March 15, 2018, 04:38:59 AM

Sometimes it's better not to try too hard and just read something or watch an old movie.

True, but I get serious eye ache sometimes doing that. ''Twer it wsrmer I would get up and fiddle eith my bits. My project bits that is. My electronic prject bits . .

Dragonia

Whoa, that sounds like a great move! Do you think it's a long-term job? Would you enjoy it?
Don't stay with your current job purely out of loyalty. It seems like very few businesses are loyal to their employees, so it seems like Every Man For Himself out there.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Dave

Yeah, go for it, Tom! 50 is but still young yet experienced.

I am struggling to get my head around Java, trouble working out exactly how to handle the brackets!

Tom62

Quote from: Dragonia on March 15, 2018, 12:20:08 PM
Whoa, that sounds like a great move! Do you think it's a long-term job? Would you enjoy it?
Don't stay with your current job purely out of loyalty. It seems like very few businesses are loyal to their employees, so it seems like Every Man For Himself out there.

It would be a long-term job. It should be fun to do some cloud based programming. Got to lean a lot of new stuff, but at least it is very interesting and challenging. My current job is great as well and I like my colleagues, but my salary isn't up to the market standard any more.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein