News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

How to tell your family you are an atheist.

Started by Tank, June 15, 2010, 06:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: Magdalena on July 18, 2016, 10:45:02 PM
Quote from: Siz on July 18, 2016, 09:57:54 PM
What is the forum demographic? Did I miss the memo?
Excellent question.  :smilenod:
Be interesting to see the age profile, the peak was 60 - 70  in a poll in another forum IIRC.

Is this a reflection of the "age of wisdom" or an indication of loads of spare time to spend on such things!

Mine is the former, of course.  ;D
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Icarus

^ I think that we have a good and favorable mixture. Buddy is about 19, maybe 20. I think that Crow was a young'un too. We have some sixties and a few seventies while the rest fill in the middle.  I reckon that I am the one who is off the deep end of the chart at 3 x 3 x 3 x 3 + 5

Magdalena

Quote from: Gloucester on July 19, 2016, 09:35:57 AM
Be interesting to see the age profile, the peak was 60 - 70  in a poll in another forum IIRC.
Can we do something like that, here?
:chin: It would be interesting to see the age profile. 

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

This should go in the "Talking to myself" thread, but it's related to the previous posts.
Question:
Can we put one of those Pokémon things here so that we can lure/attract/trap more young people? Where the hell are all the young atheists?  :scratch:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

MariaEvri

Quote from: Magdalena on July 20, 2016, 04:22:49 AM
This should go in the "Talking to myself" thread, but it's related to the previous posts.
Question:
Can we put one of those Pokémon things here so that we can lure/attract/trap more young people? Where the hell are all the young atheists?  :scratch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgBOmbD0g9U

something like that but with forum users!
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Asmodean

Is this a reflection of the "age of wisdom" or an indication of loads of spare time to spend on such things!

The Asmo is about 952. Or might as well be. :(
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Magdalena

Quote from: MariaEvri on July 20, 2016, 01:27:26 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on July 20, 2016, 04:22:49 AM
Question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgBOmbD0g9U

something like that but with forum users!
Yes, something like that!  :tellmemore:

Magdalena

Quote from: Asmodean on July 20, 2016, 02:07:48 PM

The Asmo is about 952. Or might as well be. :(
The Asmo is old. I'm 416 years old.  :-\

Waski_the_Squirrel

Quote from: Icarus on July 17, 2016, 06:56:07 AM
I have the dubious distinction of being the oldest member of this forum...or any other forum for that matter. I am 86 and still paying attention.  The actuarial tables have me dead the day before yesterday. I am not going without a helluva fight because I like it here and I am in good health. Nonetheless, reality is upon me.

My dilemma goes like this...............Daughter has done well and will not need any inheritance to assure her future.  I will writhe in agony in my grave if she uses any part of her inheritance to subsidize, gift, or otherwise use her inheritance to help any religious entity.

My feeling is that if you pass it on to her, it is up to her to use it as she chooses. Even if she does not spend it directly on the church, it could still free up other money to spend on the church.

My suggestion would be to endow a scholarship for any grandchildren. There are ways to set up accounts for that. You would be helping out your daughter by helping her children and freeing them from college debt.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on July 20, 2016, 03:55:30 AM

That would be cool! Do you want to start the poll?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 21, 2016, 12:30:09 AM

Yes, I would, but I think someone with more experience in this sort of thing should do it.    :-\
Do you want to start the poll?  :grin:

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on July 21, 2016, 04:27:40 AM

Yes, I would, but I think someone with more experience in this sort of thing should do it.    :-\

I don't think I've ever started a poll before. :lol:  Go ahead. :smilenod:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

gentle_dissident

I'm 48. I'm glad this an older crowd. The young atheists I've met online seem angry and are infatuated with video games.

gentle_dissident

RE: How to tell your family you are an atheist.

Tank, I'm only that compromising with my customers at work. It's because I want to keep my job. As one handsome "former" obviously gay boy who guilted himself into being an evangelist knows, I'm straight forward any other time.

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 21, 2016, 05:39:00 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on July 21, 2016, 04:27:40 AM

I don't think I've ever started a poll before. :lol:  Go ahead. :smilenod:

Oh, no, I don't think so.  :smileshake:

~Can someone here help us with this? Please. Thank you.