News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

The Unresolved Issues of Atheism

Started by SidewalkCynic, January 25, 2019, 01:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidewalkCynic

If there were a god, then it would have revealed itself to me. There has never been anything more important in the history of Mankind than what I am delivering - scientific collation theory for the organization of technology.

Unsapien

Well I read it.

Even though my bullshit detector started beeping as soon as I read "atheist dogma" in my intro thread.

Nothing here worth responding to, though before Tank found your picture Sidewalkcynic, I thought you were a new incarnation Atheistech from the old TTA forum.

I have no unresolved issues with my atheism.

BTW I also don't collect stamps, but since that doesn't seem to bother anyone I don't identify as an aphilatelist.
"If we are to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

Dark Lightning

Quote from: SidewalkCynic on March 06, 2019, 07:38:37 PM
Quote from: Unsapien on November 18, 2018, 10:21:19 PMI've tried getting back onto AF.org from time to time, but the last time I tried it wouldn't accept my password and the reset didn't work. I might try again down the road.

So, what gets you banned?

I get banned for claiming that atheism is a political doctrine that opposes theist doctrine as the basis for public policy. Care to join in the argument against me, or are you truly an independent and critical thinker, and not bound by atheist dogma?
http://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=16080.msg384569#msg384569

Bolding mine. Where have you been banned for posting what is obviously nonsense? You haven't been banned for posting this nonsense here. Your second sentence is an obvious stab at trying to make atheists seem dogmatic and not using critical thinking. It makes me think that you aren't really an atheist, but a closet theist looking to ruffle feathers. I'm not going to argue with you about it, as I consider it nonsense. It's in the same category as claiming First Amendment free speech rights, when we aren't on a government website. I'll be ignoring your posts from here on, as I personally consider them to be what is called in boxing, "Leading with one's chin", and the argument is just going to go down a rabbit hole. Cheers.

Bluenose

Quote from: Tank on January 29, 2019, 08:47:53 AM
Roger aka SidewalkCynic. You're a dickhead. But we like dickheads here! Your introduction was shit. No two ways about it, it was shit.

What you should have done is not walked into our 'bar' like you fucking owned it. You don't. Simple.

Found this about you online Why Do I Give Money To Funny Homeless People?

You need better PR and a better attitude when you walk off the street into a 'bar'.

Now I have a face and a bit of background you are much more human and approachable. And then people may at least listen to your ideas.

Your posts are very arrogant and uninviting, they are presumptuous, dictatorial and in no way invite interest.

So welcome aboard Richard.

Well, I've just put him in my mental "ignore" list.  I am not interested in having "debate" with someone who thinks he knows better than everybody else and dogmatically insists his idiosyncratic definition of words somehow trumps the dictionary definitions.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

SidewalkCynic

Quote from: Dark Lightning on March 11, 2019, 02:44:41 AMWhere have you been banned for posting what is obviously nonsense?
I was banned from Atheist Network way back in 2003 - the forum has been down for years. Then I was banned from FRDB, and the other incarnation they had; and they have shut down as well.

Quote from: Dark Lightning on March 11, 2019, 02:44:41 AMYou haven't been banned for posting this nonsense here. Your second sentence is an obvious stab at trying to make atheists seem dogmatic and not using critical thinking. It makes me think that you aren't really an atheist, but a closet theist looking to ruffle feathers. I'm not going to argue with you about it, as I consider it nonsense. It's in the same category as claiming First Amendment free speech rights, when we aren't on a government website. I'll be ignoring your posts from here on, as I personally consider them to be what is called in boxing, "Leading with one's chin", and the argument is just going to go down a rabbit hole. Cheers.
Well, you, like every other atheist, are wrong. The problem stems from using the layman's definition of theism - belief in supernatural entities.

Theism is a doctrine - theists believe the doctrine. The definition that atheism is a non-belief, or whatever, is a convoluted definition based on the erroneous layman's definition.

-isms are always doctrines, except for the magical theism and atheism terms.
If there were a god, then it would have revealed itself to me. There has never been anything more important in the history of Mankind than what I am delivering - scientific collation theory for the organization of technology.

SidewalkCynic

Quote from: Bluenose on March 11, 2019, 04:47:14 AMWell, I've just put him in my mental "ignore" list.  I am not interested in having "debate" with someone who thinks he knows better than everybody else and dogmatically insists his idiosyncratic definition of words somehow trumps the dictionary definitions.

And that is the same dogmatic rationalization of the conventional wisdom that rejected Galileo's theory of the world being a sphere, Einstein's theory that light bends around the planets, and Flemming's discovery of penicillin.

The dictionaries lack a reliable classification system for stabilizing the definitions of words - I am delivering the reliable classification system.

Recusant

Astigmatism, alcoholism, cretinism . . .

Criticism, colloquialism, barbarianism . . .
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Quote from: Recusant on March 12, 2019, 12:21:28 AM

:thumbsup:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: SidewalkCynic on March 11, 2019, 11:39:14 PM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on March 11, 2019, 02:44:41 AMWhere have you been banned for posting what is obviously nonsense?
I was banned from Atheist Network way back in 2003 - the forum has been down for years. Then I was banned from FRDB, and the other incarnation they had; and they have shut down as well.

Quote from: Dark Lightning on March 11, 2019, 02:44:41 AMYou haven't been banned for posting this nonsense here. Your second sentence is an obvious stab at trying to make atheists seem dogmatic and not using critical thinking. It makes me think that you aren't really an atheist, but a closet theist looking to ruffle feathers. I'm not going to argue with you about it, as I consider it nonsense. It's in the same category as claiming First Amendment free speech rights, when we aren't on a government website. I'll be ignoring your posts from here on, as I personally consider them to be what is called in boxing, "Leading with one's chin", and the argument is just going to go down a rabbit hole. Cheers.
Well, you, like every other atheist, are wrong. The problem stems from using the layman's definition of theism - belief in supernatural entities.

Theism is a doctrine - theists believe the doctrine. The definition that atheism is a non-belief, or whatever, is a convoluted definition based on the erroneous layman's definition.

I think after a blanket statement like that your personal credibility is non-existent.  :snicker1:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Unsapien

Clearly you don't understand how language works. The word means whatever the common usage understands it to mean, therefore you are in fact not using the word in a way that is commonly understood. You want it to mean a type of doctrine, it is not, you can -ism all you like, it won't change a thing.

"If we are to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

Unsapien

Quote from: SidewalkCynic on March 11, 2019, 11:49:20 PM
Quote from: Bluenose on March 11, 2019, 04:47:14 AMWell, I've just put him in my mental "ignore" list.  I am not interested in having "debate" with someone who thinks he knows better than everybody else and dogmatically insists his idiosyncratic definition of words somehow trumps the dictionary definitions.

And that is the same dogmatic rationalization of the conventional wisdom that rejected Galileo's theory of the world being a sphere, Einstein's theory that light bends around the planets, and Flemming's discovery of penicillin.

The dictionaries lack a reliable classification system for stabilizing the definitions of words - I am delivering the reliable classification system.

Stabilizing the definition of words  :???: , why would anybody want to do that?... even if the was possible, which it's isn't. A language that does not change as society changes would eventually become useless.

SidewalkCynic

Quote from: Unsapien on March 12, 2019, 01:04:43 PMClearly you don't understand how language works. The word means whatever the common usage understands it to mean, therefore you are in fact not using the word in a way that is commonly understood. You want it to mean a type of doctrine, it is not, you can -ism all you like, it won't change a thing.
Theism is a doctrine - all of the dictionary definitions are publishing it as so, because the psychological condition that the definition with "belief" prescribes is faulty - you do not need a doctor to evaluate the condition - you identify yourself as compliant with the doctrine.

You are describing the lack of scientific stabilization of language. Eventually, as society approaches the more "scientific" order, the need for a more stabilized language becomes more apparent.

SidewalkCynic

Quote from: Tank on March 12, 2019, 07:58:09 AM
Quote from: SidewalkCynic on March 11, 2019, 11:39:14 PM-isms are always doctrines, except for the magical theism and atheism terms.
I think after a blanket statement like that your personal credibility is non-existent.  :snicker1:
Gee whiz - I am so embarrassed. You guys are so smart.

Why do you not transfer your posts to the appropriate thread?

Unsapien

Quote from: SidewalkCynic on March 12, 2019, 05:31:25 PM
Quote from: Unsapien on March 12, 2019, 01:04:43 PMClearly you don't understand how language works. The word means whatever the common usage understands it to mean, therefore you are in fact not using the word in a way that is commonly understood. You want it to mean a type of doctrine, it is not, you can -ism all you like, it won't change a thing.
Theism is a doctrine - all of the dictionary definitions are publishing it as so, because the psychological condition that the definition with "belief" prescribes is faulty - you do not need a doctor to evaluate the condition - you identify yourself as compliant with the doctrine.

You are describing the lack of scientific stabilization of language. Eventually, as society approaches the more "scientific" order, the need for a more stabilized language becomes more apparent.

Theism is a doctrine, atheism is an absence of a doctrine not an "anti-doctrine" that would be antitheism. I can be both at the same time, but they have different meanings.

SidewalkCynic

Quote from: Recusant on March 12, 2019, 12:21:28 AM

Good argument. The medical maladies are diagnosis based on comparisons to documented (stabilized/doctrine) conditions.

https://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Isms

Colloquialism and barbarianism, are social descriptions based on comparisons to doctrine by outside observers, as well.

Criticism is an interesting argument. Clearly, a reference to outside observation making comparisons.