Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Finally some progress... sort of

Started by fester30, July 28, 2012, 05:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Crow on August 09, 2012, 11:10:41 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 09, 2012, 09:41:29 PM
Well...of course. There's plenty to be angry at. But saying that an angry atheist is angry at a concept (god) doesn't make sense.

Yeah it does, being angry at a concept makes sense for an atheist but being angry at a god doesn't.

Yeah come to think of it, maybe. But religious treat the concept as if it was a person, which is a bit odd. I hate other concepts as well but they aren't nearly as personalised.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 09, 2012, 11:15:22 PM
Still a non sequitor between being angry and religious institutions or the way that some religious people want to infringe on people's liberty to be free of religion and being angry at an idea that in your reality doesn't even exist.

Simply do a search on 'angry atheist' and most of what comes up is anger towards religion and all it's aspects...hence an angry atheist can rightly be a person who dislikes/is angry at religion, religious people..."God/god(s)", even Richard Dawkins is regarded as an angry atheist.  It may literally be a non sequitor or a logical fallacy, but it fits well within the general understanding of even atheists and their chosen name/blogs/facebooks...it doesn't logically fit, but it does.

Quote from: xSilverPhinxokay, maybe shouldn't have used the Allah example, but why don't you hate that god even if there are very vocal people who do terrible things in that god's name? Even if a world away?

What benefit is there in doing so?  I dislike cops to a degree, but I don't hate law.  I realize there are good cops out there...somewhere.

Quote from: xSilverPhinxTake this hypothetical example. Someone hates Christmas for whatever reason. They see cultural deprivation or excessive capitalist greed (to take a few common examples for reasons why some don't like Xmas) and someone comes and tells them that they hate Santa too. That would be more or less an equivalent, and a fallacy.

I don't see a difference.  If one hates Christmas, one must also hate Santa.  An angry anti-Christmasite is more or less equivalent to an angry anti-Santite.  ( See Seinfeld is life and life is Seinfeld! )

xSilverPhinx

I know there are angry atheists who vent their frustration regularly at religions and religious issues, I'm not questioning that part. Really I can only speak for myself, but it's just weird for me, as an atheist who sometimes does vent and rant, to say that I'm angry at a god I don't even believe exist. That's why I brought up the Allah example, I'm assuming you don't believe in that particular deity and so really don't see a connection between frustration at some aspects of the Muslim religion or group of Muslims and a god you don't believe in.

For me saying that I hate Yahweh as if that were something concrete is just weird.

As for Santa, one can be totally indifferent. Someone can actually like the Santa idea and really just not like what Xmas has become.   
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Crow

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on August 09, 2012, 11:40:54 PM
I don't see a difference.  If one hates Christmas, one must also hate Santa.  An angry anti-Christmasite is more or less equivalent to an angry anti-Santite.  ( See Seinfeld is life and life is Seinfeld! )

No Santa is just a concept so you can hate the concept of Santa and what it represents and you may refer to that concept solely as Santa, but you can't hate Santa like you would a person or a inanimate object. The hatred of this concept might even be the primary cause for the dislike of Christmas but Santa isn't real, it's a personification of an idealised behavior. The same applies to an angry atheist when they say they hate god

A person who believes in a god and hates him/her/it actually hates it because god isn't a concept to them, it is real. They may hate the way they have been treated or why they perceive so much injustice to take place at the hands of their god. An angry atheist on the other hand hates what the god character represents in the particular religion they are referring to, if it's anything more than that then they may not be atheist.
Retired member.

Guardian85

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on August 09, 2012, 11:40:54 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 09, 2012, 11:15:22 PM
Still a non sequitor between being angry and religious institutions or the way that some religious people want to infringe on people's liberty to be free of religion and being angry at an idea that in your reality doesn't even exist.

Simply do a search on 'angry atheist' and most of what comes up is anger towards religion and all it's aspects...hence an angry atheist can rightly be a person who dislikes/is angry at religion, religious people..."God/god(s)", even Richard Dawkins is regarded as an angry atheist.  It may literally be a non sequitor or a logical fallacy, but it fits well within the general understanding of even atheists and their chosen name/blogs/facebooks...it doesn't logically fit, but it does.
Even if an atheist who happens to be angry at the consept of a god or religion says he/she hates god (whichever one you like) he/she cannot hate the god as an individual. Hating the "person" of god would imply the existance of the god in the mind of the hater. This would disqualify him/her as an atheist. Angry atheists are not angry at god, they are angry at the people who worship the god or the organisations that work in the name of said god.

If you are interested in understanding angry atheists I reccomend this. I have posted it before, but I think it's relevant here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUI_ML1qkQE&feature=channel&list=UL

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

fester30

I agree it's not anger at god for atheists, but rather anger at the idea of god.  To call it anger at god would be to misdirect the anger.  I do, however see theists get angry at god from time to time.

Firebird

Quote from: Guardian85 on August 10, 2012, 06:48:44 AM
If you are interested in understanding angry atheists I reccomend this. I have posted it before, but I think it's relevant here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUI_ML1qkQE&feature=channel&list=UL

That's a great video, thank you for sharing.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: fester30 on August 10, 2012, 10:28:26 AM
I agree it's not anger at god for atheists, but rather anger at the idea of god.  To call it anger at god would be to misdirect the anger.  I do, however see theists get angry at god from time to time.

Anger at the idea of god = angry atheist.  That's fine with me.

Nothing necessarily wrong with a theist being angry at God.  We are human and if we disagree or don't get our way, anger can be a normal emotion.