News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on August 04, 2018, 09:43:17 PM
I can't decide if I want to take one of the very few pain pills I have been issued to make it through tonight at work or endure the agony. It feels like my arm is falling off, twisting like a corded telephone at the end of its tangled line. My sling helps with that unsettling feeling and the accompanying nausea but brings different pain in my shoulder and neck.

Ouch, JJ. I understand what unremitting pain feels like and you have my sympathies, mate.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

jumbojak

I elected to wait until I got home. Damn it was tough though.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Essie Mae

Quote from: jumbojak on August 05, 2018, 04:54:57 AM
I elected to wait until I got home. Damn it was tough though.

Any news on the MRI and possible surgery?
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

jumbojak

The pt exercises gave me enough relief that I'm going to self treat for a while at least. Which reminds me, I need to cancel those appointments.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on August 06, 2018, 07:45:48 PM
The pt exercises gave me enough relief that I'm going to self treat for a while at least. Which reminds me, I need to cancel those appointments.

Go carefully, JJ.

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on August 06, 2018, 07:45:48 PM

Good news.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Just came from a meeting with one of the two professors who will be supervising me as I teach a class in their undergraduate course. Turns out there are more than 50 mostly  freshmen students enrolled in the course.

I just know I'm going to have a panic attack when the time finally comes for me to teach a class.  :-\
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dark Lightning

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 07, 2018, 11:38:38 PM
Just came from a meeting with one of the two professors who will be supervising me as I teach a class in their undergraduate course. Turns out there are more than 50 mostly  freshmen students enrolled in the course.

I just know I'm going to have a panic attack when the time finally comes for me to teach a class.  :-\

Just remember that they are pretty ignorant about the topic. I personally found that the more the students knew, the more I enjoyed teaching the class. College students, the big thing is keeping them off their phones. A speech class one of my sons had, the prof told them up front that if a cell phone rang in class, that was an automatic reduction of one grade letter. Draconian, it may seem, but all those distractions take away from what the rest of the students are paying for.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Fireball on August 08, 2018, 02:11:51 AM

Just remember that they are pretty ignorant about the topic. I personally found that the more the students knew, the more I enjoyed teaching the class. College students, the big thing is keeping them off their phones. A speech class one of my sons had, the prof told them up front that if a cell phone rang in class, that was an automatic reduction of one grade letter. Draconian, it may seem, but all those distractions take away from what the rest of the students are paying for.

Yes, I have to keep in mind the fact that they're most likely learning about the particular topic for the first time. My problem is that I somewhat unconsciously assume people know what I'm talking about -- as if information was transmitted via osmosis.  ::)

While freshmen students are certainly not blank slates, I need to be careful.

Icarus

Simple fix. Ask them if they understand what you have just told them.  Don't believe them when they say yes. Tell one or more of them to explain, in their own words, what you have just told them.  Students do like to participate....well at least most of them do.  If you get a good response from your request for their individual explanation then you are on your way to becoming the best teacher in the whole place.

Good luck, relax Fernanda, you are steering the ship at this point.

Tank

Wow you lucky woman! 50 people who will be hanging on your every word, totally in the palm of your hand! Think of the power! Did Flamboyance Nightingale ever have such an opportunity? I'm jealous  >:( 
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Congrats! I know this is obvious advice, but try to anticipate any possible questions you may get and prepare yourself for them. I found that I really started learning my subject properly when I began my lecturing career.
Also, encourage a seminar type of atmosphere and tell them to stop and ask questions immediately, instead of waiting until the end of the lecture. Don't be afraid if the lecture then takes a slightly different course to the one you had planned. Don't try to hide the fact that you don't know the answer to any questions, but just take it in your stride and calmly say that you will check and let them know next time.
Lastly, eye contact is very important, so keep scanning the room and look all of them in the eye. A smile now and then will make them and you feel much better, especially when it is a difficult topic.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

And try to give yourself some "leeway",  enough room for the questions yet with a "adjustable"  bit at the end in case there are few questions. This could be in the form of a summary, which can be short and simple or long and comprehensive. Or even totally dumped!

I wonder if there is a sort of ratio? Say, if you have an hour to deliver you write a 45 minute lecture full of the essential stuff and the rest for questions or "filler"?

But, I am sure that you will survive the experience and look back at it with nostalgia!

jumbojak

Start the class like this...
https://youtu.be/Dd7FixvoKBw

Your students will never forget you if you do.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on August 08, 2018, 01:24:58 PM
Start the class like this...
https://youtu.be/Dd7FixvoKBw

Your students will never forget you if you do.

:lol: I need to get myself a clipboard!