News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Hello

Started by mp29, December 30, 2011, 05:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mp29

Hope I got this right( I'm not computer savvy). I'm new here. I'm a 29 year old sales associate/nursing student. I enjoy playing harmonica listening to music, and reading.
  I was raised Catholic. I went to mass, attended a Catholic school and went through most of the sacrements. I stated in the faith until about 16 when I noticed some differences between what was taught and what was in the Bible. I started attending various different denominations and got a good sampling of everything from Seven Day Adventist to Baptist. About two years ago I read Dawkin's "The God Delusion" then Mills' "Atheist Universe". I found them very insightful and rational. I was pretty much convinced that religion was a road to nowhere.
  Another issue are the differences between science and the Bible, particularly the Genesis chronology. It's incompatible with secular science. Not just evolution but, the fossil record. Like most Christians, I was an inerrantist; if some of the Bible was wrong, it was not God's word.
  I guess you could say I'm a negative atheist; I don't currently believe but, I don't believe in the impossibility of a god.
  Why am I here? It's called "Happy Atheist Forum" and that has a friendly connotation. I'd like to talk to others with my similar views in a curteous, and respectful environment.
                                                                     Thank you,
                                                                     mp29(Dominic)

Asmodean

Welome!

Yeah, you got it reasonably right, although formatting could use some work :-P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Hi Domonic

We do strive to be a friendly bunch. I like this place because dialogue is possible even when world views can be diametrically opposite. And don't worry about the formatting except to say that lots of text now paragraphs is difficult to read.

Thanks for making the effort to sign up and join in.

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris

Notes for new members.
The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts.
Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum.
It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
Favorite Song, with video
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding

Siz

Hi Dominic,

I guess you could call yourself an Agnostic Atheist, but it doesn't matter what you are here. We have every shade of belief, all (well, mostly) contributing to the happy atmosphere.

Having read Dawkins, I guess you're familliar with the Dawkins Belief Scale. There's a thread here about just that.
http://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=8025.0
Get your 10 posts and you can chip in.

In the meantime, welcome, and glad to have you aboard.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

OldGit

Welcome, Dominic!  I look forward to discussing atheism and - mainly - harmonicas with you.  I was myself once a flogger of the gob-iron and still make occasional wailing noises on it when drunk. ;D

Crocoduck

Hello Dominic
Happy Atheist Forum
As we all know, the miracle of fishes and loaves is only scientifically explainable through the medium of casseroles
Dobermonster
However some of the jumped up jackasses do need a damn good kicking. Not that they will respond to the kicking but just to show they can be kicked
Some dude in a Tank

Stevil

Quote from: mp29 on December 30, 2011, 05:39:26 AM
I guess you could say I'm a negative atheist; I don't currently believe but, I don't believe in the impossibility of a god.
The definition of an Atheist is a person who lacks a belief in god/s. (weak Atheist)

It does not mean that you have a belief that there are no god/s. (strong Atheist)

The vast majority of people on this forum are weak Atheists

mp29

@OldGit Yeah, I started playing the harmonica because it was cheap. I also liked the portability, and the rich history behind it. I almost gave a talk on the harmonica in my college speech class for finals but decided on insulin instead. The happiest day of my life was when I finally learned how to bend a note. This instrument has become a primary release for my emotions.
  How long have you played? Were you in a band? How about your favorite songs? I'll play, or maybe I should say attempt to play pretty much anything. I think one of my favorite harmonica songs is The Wizard by Black Sabbath. Shame Ozzy didn't play more often.

mp29

@stevil Not sure what the problem is with the term "negative atheist." I've double checked it and it seems to fall in line with my description. Though the term may be not be as widely used as yours.

xSilverPhinx

Welcome!

'Negative atheist' isn't something I've heard much ??? My first thought was that atheism is already a negative...so a negative negative would make a positive? :P

But anyways, all these labels are a bit tricky, they don't say all that much about people, except of course that you don't consider yourself to be a positive or so called new atheist.

'Weak atheist' or agnostic atheist usually need less explaining, at least here.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey