News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Evolution Resources

Started by Tank, May 16, 2011, 07:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

That looks interesting.

And while Dawkins has some interesting things to contribute he's not the top of the pile either as far as I am concerned.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

I have just ordered his most recent book Transformer.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

billy rubin

dawkins is an intelligent man who is blind to his own biases.

when he talks about sociobiology, hes great. when he does his t h huxley impersonation about the failings of religion, he is not so great.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

zorkan

I'm atheist to Dawkins.
He is privileged, just like his hero Darwin who was the champion of the rich elite in the social conditions of his time.
He has lived his whole life in academia.
His books are based on quotes from earlier texts.
All genes do is encode proteins. They provide no life force.
The God Delusion was only his response to 911.

I'm theist to his fellow academic at Oxford, Peter Atkins.
The reason we all live and die is down to the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics.
Think of a gambler. He might win to start with but ultimately he loses all.
In any closed system, as with all life forms, there is always a net loss of energy over time.
The only open system we know is the universe.
This explains why our planet is just a graveyard for all life.

zorkan

Icarus

Tank

Icarus

God must be shrewd chemist. The Brits are not far behind with some good work of their own.

https://nautil.us/how-did-life-begin-506507/?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-us