News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Pete Buttigieg runs for president.

Started by Tank, April 15, 2019, 11:35:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Pete Buttigieg is going to put the cat among the pigeons. Veteran of Afghanistan, Rhodes scholar, gay married man, democrat, Christian and 37 years old. Mike Pence's nightmare  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Davin

I like the guy, but the field is still pretty big, there are others I also think are also good. At least at this point I can't pick which I would support.

However, I will vote for any of the 283 Democrats running for president in 2020, I just hope it's a good one.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Icarus

I have absolutely no problem with Mayor Pete's sexual orientation.  I can admire his intellectual achievements as well. I do have a problem with his ultra religious posture.  The puzzling part  is that since he has a more comprehensive education than we ordinary folks, then how can he be such an outspoken public bible thumper?  Is his candidacy just a gimmick or is he actually serious?

Dark Lightning

A bible-thumper who ignores Leviticus. What a shock. I don't care at all about his sexual orientation, btw. The field is pretty big for now. I just hope the Dems don't turn the primaries into a clown car, although seems to have worked for the Reps.

Icarus

Grim humorous cartoon on my newspaper editorial page went like this.......Catoonish caricatures of Harris, Sanders and Warren were grinning happily and looking up into the sky. There in the sky was a huge pie labeled universal health care.

I fear that all the well meaning aims of those three, and some others, will kill them at the polls.  Pete is brilliant but he does not have the physical stature  to command high respect by the wide array of our semi comatose voters.

Andrew Yang is also a smart guy but really?   A thousand dollar per month stipend to all citizens over the age of eighteen.........Where do these pleasing to contemplate but far fetched notions come from? 

When we winnow the field down to the number of rational candidates remaining, are there any of them that might be able to defeat Trump? 

Except for the combative demeanor of Tulsi Gabbard, I like her.  But she is in the single digit poll numbers.  It's like who the hell is she in the minds of the inattentive voter. She is clearly capable of going toe to toe in a debate, or pissing contest, with "the Donald".  I hope that this firebrand will get behind whoever the DNC selects for the general election.  We need a warrior to have the back of the eventual nominee

Booker is a pretty shrewd and savvy guy. But he is a black man that would suffer at the polls because of his skin color.  That is a stupid reason not to elect him but it is a matter of addressing reality and the questionable social graces (or intelligence) of the great unwashed masses of voters.

Castro appears to be a shrewd dude who is reasonable, intelligent, articulate, and unfortunately in the minds of the electorate, a Hispanic.

I am afraid that my chosen side is in for a difficult time.

Tank

Anybody who stands against the Tangerine Gaslighter is in for a very, very hard time. That's a given.

However what worries me is the partisan behaviour of the supporters of the Democratic candidates. Supporters of candidate X will 'die before they vote for candidate Y', also a Democrat. Getting Trump out of the Whitehouse is the first and foremost aim.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Harmonie

Quote from: Tank on August 03, 2019, 07:24:07 AM
Anybody who stands against the Tangerine Gaslighter is in for a very, very hard time. That's a given.

However what worries me is the partisan behaviour of the supporters of the Democratic candidates. Supporters of candidate X will 'die before they vote for candidate Y', also a Democrat. Getting Trump out of the Whitehouse is the first and foremost aim.

The US left is making me want to scream right now. I see all of the same bull crap I saw leading up to the 2016 election. Except this time it isn't always "Bernie or Bust", although that is still very present. I see people drawing lines everywhere. So many people on the left are going only for what they perceive is the most purest of candidate and will refuse to vote in the election if that candidate isn't there. Meanwhile, Republicans have absurdly low standards for a candidate, as is evidenced by Trump.

While the left is collapsing inside itself over purity the right is happily letting Trump run amok, stacking the Supreme Court (which is longstanding and will screw us over for the rest of our lives), stomping all over LGBT rights (especially transgender rights), caging children, moving toward getting his stupid wall built, bending over for foreign dictators, etc., etc.,etc.

The left better get its act together.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony