News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

"So I'm a Witch Again . . ."

Started by Sandra Craft, November 10, 2018, 08:34:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

So I'm a Witch Again

I was going to put this in the Life as an Atheist section, since it touches on that, but decided it belonged here as it brings up some interesting points about the psychological value of religious practices, even if one has no religious beliefs.

While this looks at it from a Pagan point of view, I think it could apply to other religions/religious practices.  In fact, when I first read this quote the author provided from the blog Humanistic Paganism I immediately thought it sounded like my Dad's approach to Xtianity:

QuoteMagic changes my mindset; my mindset changes my probabilities of successfully manifesting my will in my life. It works by reconciling the rational and the irrational parts of myself. Take a protection charm for instance. A braid of garlic, a bag of herbs or a piece of metal, in and of itself, doesn't protect me from anything. But if I use it as a protection charm, it reminds my rational brain to be vigilant, which helps me avoid avoidable danger. But it also appeases my irrational side by acting as if the piece of metal or bag of herbs will protect me from unavoidable danger. My irrational side is an heirloom from some hairy caveman who screeched and ran when he heard the "angry" thunderstorm. That irrational side is where uncontrollable emotional breakdowns come from. With magic, I gave that irrational side a more productive job to do so that I don't have to simply repress it. That way all of me can work towards the same goal.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

jumbojak

That was very interesting. I like the perspective.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Ecurb Noselrub

Having some belief system can help to regulate the internal chaos. Mine gives me relative peace and resolves existential crises. Different strokes.

Sandra Craft

I just remembered a book I read some years ago, A. J. Jacobs' The Year of Living Biblically: one man's humble quest to follow the bible as literally as possible.    It's a fascinating and funny book (Jacobs is a wonderful writer); the rules Jacobs followed came from the Old Testament since he was raised Jewish altho as I recall his family wasn't particularly religious and he himself was an agnostic. 

After a year of following biblical rules as closely as possible (many consultations with rabbis were needed) he was still agnostic, but there were several practices he found valuable enough to continue without the religious trappings. 
Sandy

Icarus

I suspect that it might be difficult to live as the OT rules demand.  Stuff like stoning unruly children, dietary prohibitions, restricted agricultural methods, clothing choices. wives prohibited from grabbing an enemy by his testicles, and so on.  In fact some of those rules would land the practitioner in jail.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Icarus on November 12, 2018, 10:19:55 PM
I suspect that it might be difficult to live as the OT rules demand.  Stuff like stoning unruly children, dietary prohibitions, restricted agricultural methods, clothing choices. wives prohibited from grabbing an enemy by his testicles, and so on.  In fact some of those rules would land the practitioner in jail.

Yes, if you are going to do this experiment, the New Testament is much easier. 

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 13, 2018, 12:01:02 AM

True.  I've noticed turning the other cheek (just to name one) is a significant road block for most people.
Sandy

Sandra Craft

Hence the many, many conversations with rabbis.  Some things just couldn't be done, but for other things they found some really creative work arounds.  The toughest one for Jacobs personally was not shaving for a year, esp. since his wife refused to kiss him after about the 6th month. 
Sandy

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Sandra Craft on November 13, 2018, 01:52:18 AM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 13, 2018, 12:01:02 AM

True.  I've noticed turning the other cheek (just to name one) is a significant road block for most people.

Just grin and bear it for a year.  Much better than having to kill someone or sacrifice an animal, or even worse - eliminate bacon from your diet.

Icarus

Sandy wrote: Hence the many, many conversations with rabbis.  Some things just couldn't be done, but for other things they found some really creative work arounds.  The toughest one for Jacobs personally was not shaving for a year, esp. since his wife refused to kiss him after about the 6th month.
[/quote]

I have not yet gotten the message about why facial hair is the "in thing" for today's  men. ..........The men  in the ancient days did not have high tech razors with five blades like the current Gillettes and...Bics too.....even the ones that can be bought in the Dollar stores. 

A long time ago I chartered a small sailing yacht to take my, then, new wife on an adventure in the vast Bay of Florida.  As newly weds were were physically attracted to one another. After about three days on the boat, not shaving, the passion went to hell in a hand basket.  She told me in no uncertain terms that the stubble on my face was painful and a turn off.  After shaving smoothly the bopping resumed enthusiastically.  Now what the hell is the deal with 2018 women who are presumably comfortable with the physical contact of a stubbled face?  Scruffy faces on men are now considered sexy, I am told...................Just asking.   

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on November 15, 2018, 11:56:21 PM
A long time ago I chartered a small sailing yacht to take my, then, new wife on an adventure in the vast Bay of Florida.  As newly weds were were physically attracted to one another. After about three days on the boat, not shaving, the passion went to hell in a hand basket.  She told me in no uncertain terms that the stubble on my face was painful and a turn off.  After shaving smoothly the bopping resumed enthusiastically.  Now what the hell is the deal with 2018 women who are presumably comfortable with the physical contact of a stubbled face?  Scruffy faces on men are now considered sexy, I am told...................Just asking.

Unlike some of my friends, I am definitely turned off by facial and body hair. I guess that explains my attraction to Southeast Asians, who are on the whole not very hairy.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames