News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Hello, I'm Mr. IXTUS!

Started by Mr. IXTUS, January 17, 2019, 07:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. IXTUS

I am a Christian and Bible teacher (8th-10th grade) at a preparatory school.  I will be posting here mostly on behalf of my 8th grade Apologetics students who have questions for atheists like you!  In light of that I thought about adopting a screen name like "Legion" since we are many, but then I thought better of it . . .

Anyway, just be aware that when posting I will be representing more than just my own thoughts.  In fact, almost never my own thoughts.

xSilverPhinx

Hello and welcome to HAF, Mr. IXTUS.

Theists and questions regarding atheists and atheism are welcome here, and I personally think it's great that your students wish to ask questions about atheist as we are a misunderstood group of people. I think that can be fixed especially through dialogue, one theist at a time.

Given you and we have fundamentally different views regarding many aspects of the creation of the universe and its evolution  I encourage you to read the Forum Rules if you haven't already, as preaching is not generally tolerated here.

Well, that's it for now I suppose.  :) Happy posting!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Mr. IXTUS

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 17, 2019, 08:05:51 PM
Given you and we have fundamentally different views regarding many aspects of the creation of the universe and its evolution  I encourage you to read the Forum Rules if you haven't already, as preaching is not generally tolerated here.

Yep, read it!  I'm mostly on a research and relay mission anyway.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Mr. IXTUS on January 17, 2019, 08:10:15 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 17, 2019, 08:05:51 PM

Yep, read it!  I'm mostly on a research and relay mission anyway.

:thumbsup:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Buddy

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure that we'll be able to answer your questions about atheism. As for anything else, we're a pretty varied bunch  ;)
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: Mr. IXTUS on January 17, 2019, 07:42:44 PM
I am a Christian and Bible teacher (8th-10th grade) at a preparatory school.  I will be posting here mostly on behalf of my 8th grade Apologetics students who have questions for atheists like you!  In light of that I thought about adopting a screen name like "Legion" since we are many, but then I thought better of it . . .

Anyway, just be aware that when posting I will be representing more than just my own thoughts.  In fact, almost never my own thoughts.

Welcome aboard.

I'm glad you have been up front about you purpose here. However this forum is not a place for you to exploit to your own ends. We have no way whatsoever to know if you are not distorting our replies for your propaganda purposes.

I do not trust you nor your motivations.

This is the website where Mt Ixtus comes from https://paradisevalleychristian.org/ which for some reason appears to be geoblocked. I can see the facebook page though https://www.facebook.com/ParadiseValleyChristianPrep/

This is from the about page from their website.

"In addition to all subjects being approached through a Christian worldview, students progress through Bible classes that increase their knowledge, deepen their faith, and sharpen their ability to defend God's Word. Lower school students explore biblical themes and key stories from the Old and New Testaments, while middle school students learn to approach the Bible as a cohesive narrative of God's redemption of mankind, and culminate with an apologetics course their eighth grade year. Upper school students go even further, surveying competing worldviews and philosophies while studying the historical roots of the Christian faith. Seniors finish with Systematic Apologetics and Theology, emerging as skilled biblical scholars capable of reaching out to a fallen world with confidence and grace. All students attend weekly, age-appropriate chapels, and regular service opportunities allow students to practice putting others before themselves."

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on January 17, 2019, 08:47:06 PM

This is the website where Mt Ixtus comes from https://paradisevalleychristian.org/ which for some reason appears to be geoblocked. I can see the facebook page though https://www.facebook.com/ParadiseValleyChristianPrep/

It's a generic private religious school website. Nothing special
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: Buddy on January 17, 2019, 09:58:26 PM
Quote from: Tank on January 17, 2019, 08:47:06 PM

It's a generic private religious school website. Nothing special

Cheers Buddy :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

No one

Where are the tacos? Newbs are required to bring tacos.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: No one on January 17, 2019, 10:45:51 PM
Where are the tacos? Newbs are required to bring tacos.

I would like some guacamole with mine.  Thanks.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Icarus

Welcome to the forum IXTUS.  If you are who and what you say you are then we will be most cooperative and voluminously informative. Chances are very good that you will discover that we are decent, even admirable, citizens of the world.   

You will discover that most of us are well educated, are not of a militant variety (except when reality is challenged). Do discover that we have the utmost compassion and love for children, kitty cats, the wonders of nature, and the general welfare of mankind.

Warning: ask as many questions as you like. DO not proselytize or you will vanish as in a puff of smoke. Our collective bullshit filters are well developed.  Forgive the use of the descriptive term please.

Caliasseia

Hmm, interesting.

The institution highlighted above appears to be a theological seminary masquerading as a school. I'd like to know if this institution has a properly constructed curriculum for mathematics and the sciences among other things. Inquiring minds would like to know and all that.

Additionally, the moment I see the word 'apologetics' being presented as if it constituted a genuinely rigorous academic discipline, the alarm bells start sounding 'red alert'.

I suspect this thread could be the beginning of much that is ... interesting ...

Bad ideas exist to be destroyed ...

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Caliasseia on January 18, 2019, 07:31:32 PM
I suspect this thread could be the beginning of much that is ... interesting ...

That's what I said.  It appears the school doesn't cover evolutionary theory, which shocks me a bit.  They don't have to accept it, after all, to teach the details to the kids they're telling not to accept it.  It is a important part of scientific literacy.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany