News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

According to Dredge: Abiogenesis is Magic

Started by Dredge, December 30, 2016, 05:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arturo

Quote from: Davin on February 14, 2017, 02:41:25 PM
Quote from: Apathy on February 14, 2017, 08:32:56 AM
It's easy to think you've won the game when you ignore all the points the other team has over you.
It doesn't matter if Dredge thinks it won, so I say let it think so. If it was actually interested in being right, it would have listened to the dissent and corrected all the embarrassing logical and factual errors in its arguments.

As it stands, Dredge looks like a toddler declaring victory in a fit.

That's the reason I stopped talking to him. He made it apparent to me that he's irrational and won't believe otherwise because he thinks he's so smart. He's essentially Donald Trump.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Davin

Quote from: Apathy on February 14, 2017, 07:07:08 PM
It's easy to think you've won the game when you ignore all the points the other team has over you.
It doesn't matter if Dredge thinks it won, so I say let it think so. If it was actually interested in being right, it would have listened to the dissent and corrected all the embarrassing logical and factual errors in its arguments.

https://media.giphy.com/media/Wvo6vaUsQa3Di/200.gif

That's the reason I stopped talking to him. He made it apparent to me that he's irrational and won't believe otherwise because he thinks he's so smart. He's essentially Donald Trump.
Yeah, it becomes useless and redundant, and with Dredge it didn't take long to get there.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dredge

Quote from: Gloucester on February 10, 2017, 09:25:56 AM

When the poster pops up every so often, answers a selection of posts - rarely entering into actual debate - then buggers off for a few more days..
Readers other than Brits, Aussies and Kiwis are probably wondering what "buggers off" means.
Follow the evidence wherever it leads.

Dave

Quote from: Dredge on February 15, 2017, 01:37:07 AM

When the poster pops up every so often, answers a selection of posts - rarely entering into actual debate - then buggers off for a few more days..
Readers other than Brits, Aussies and Kiwis are probably wondering what "buggers off" means.
There is enough context there for anyone with more than a couple of functioning brain cells to work out the meaning I think.  :grin:
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Davin on February 13, 2017, 05:54:41 PM
Dredge is left so alone...

Ye, 26 pages and still you're posting, it's like hypnotizing chickens.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dredge

Quote from: Gloucester on February 13, 2017, 06:22:45 PM
Quote from: Dredge on February 13, 2017, 01:13:02 AM
The problem with your iterations hypothesis is there is no evidence that inanimate matter can accumulate complexity to a point that is even remotely close to what is required for life.  .

Is there any evidence that it can't? It, basically, only had to do it once, a long, long time ago. Just a theory - but with far more supporting evidence than any for supernatural intervention. Except in the folk stories and and social rules written down by a few Bronze Age power hungry people.
Just a theory?  More like atheist theology, I would say.

No one is claiming that supernatural intervention is science, since science is too puny and limited to explain the supernatural.   But if you want to play the science game, you need play by science rules.   The burden of proof for your "iterations" hypothesis is on you.  Since there is no evidence that inanimate matter per se can accumulate the necessary complexity for life (or anything even close), it is an hypothesis based on nothing more than faith.
A belief based on faith isn't science, but you like to call it science because by doing so you feel like "an intellectually fulfilled atheist".  

Dredge

Quote from: Icarus on February 13, 2017, 03:26:27 AM
Quote from: Dredge on February 13, 2017, 01:20:47 AMActually, the term, "intellegent design" is a tautology.  Without intelligence, design is impossible.

... intelligence may very well be possible or even likely without design.
As an atheist, you have no choice but to believe such irrational nonsense.  Next you'll be telling that computers can come into existence all by themselves.

Dredge

Quote from: Apathy on February 14, 2017, 07:07:08 PM

Some of these anti-Dredge posts are pretty funny.

No one

Irrational nonsense? Like an almighty deity that created everything there is, yet somehow resembles its most cherished creation?

Magdalena

Quote from: Dredge on February 16, 2017, 04:29:11 AMSome of these anti-Dredge posts are pretty funny.
Yes, they are.  :tellmemore:

Are the anti-Dredge posts in other atheist forums, like this?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

Quote from: Dredge on February 16, 2017, 04:18:17 AM
[ . . . ]
Just a theory?  More like atheist theology, I would say.
[ . . . ]
A belief based on faith isn't science, but you like to call it science because by doing so you feel like "an intellectually fulfilled atheist". 
Nope.

If new evidence  modifies a theory then the atheist, and the true scientist, is allowed and is willing to modify his or her understanding (very different from "belief") to incorporate the new evidence - but keeps future options open. The theist might modify his or her understanding, might even ignore  or seek to deflect uncomfortable evidence, but is not allowed to challenge the basics.

"Faith" has no part in science, facts do (hence my avatar). But, even "facts" are sometimes just universally accepted pieces of evidence because no other explanation is available - as with two solid bodies in space tend to be mutually attracted to the centre io mass of each other . . . But Karl Popper had things to say about that sort of thinking. :tongue in cheek emoji:

Faith is for those who cannot explain things without introducing some sort of, usually un-quantifiable, influence into the equation. Otherwise known as "woo".
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Arturo

Quote from: Gloucester on February 15, 2017, 05:32:58 AM
Quote from: Dredge on February 15, 2017, 01:37:07 AM

There is enough context there for anyone with more than a couple of functioning brain cells to work out the meaning I think.  :grin:

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Davin

Quote from: Dredge on February 16, 2017, 04:27:07 AM
Quote from: Icarus on February 13, 2017, 03:26:27 AM
Quote from: Dredge on February 13, 2017, 01:20:47 AMActually, the term, "intellegent design" is a tautology.  Without intelligence, design is impossible.

... intelligence may very well be possible or even likely without design.
As an atheist, you have no choice but to believe such irrational nonsense.  Next you'll be telling that computers can come into existence all by themselves.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Bad Penny II on February 09, 2017, 02:15:51 PM
What's the problem with acknowledging a link to apes anyway?

It defames the ape community.