According to Dredge: Abiogenesis is Magic

Started by Dredge, December 30, 2016, 05:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dredge

Quote from: Tank on January 15, 2017, 09:58:41 AM
Quote from: Dredge on January 15, 2017, 03:34:28 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on January 12, 2017, 04:47:22 AM
Why would anyone want to worship dark energy!?
Millions of atheists already worship science and evolution, so why not?  But it would make more sense to worship the Being who created dark energy.

Dredge

This is trolling.

"Millions of atheists already worship science and evolution, so why not?"

This is a warning.
Stop trolling or you will get banned.

Tank

Not sure what I've done wrong, but whatever it is, my apologies and I'll desist immediately.
Follow the evidence wherever it leads.

Arturo

Quote from: Dredge on January 18, 2017, 03:37:17 AM
Quote from: Apathy on January 15, 2017, 07:07:42 AM
Quote from: Firebird on January 15, 2017, 05:41:37 AM
Quote from: Dredge on January 15, 2017, 04:20:18 AM

Once on land, the foal goes about finding its mother (using a combination of smell and horse-horse radar) and the rest is history. 
My apitude for science should be manifestly obvious to you by now.  Science is my calling.

OK, now I know you're trolling. At least I hope so, the alternative is too scary.

Remember when I said if I went off meds, you would regret making me the monster I'd become? Well Dredge is what I'd become.
Envy is ugly.  It's not my faullt that I am brilliant at science, you know.

I think you are projecting a non existent state of mind onto your idea of me. You can take your LSD, I won't stop you. Just know you sound insane. And when you sound insane, and you act insane you end up alone. People here are mocking you. So if anything, I pity you. You are not brilliant at science, your definition of science are the tenants for Christianity. And you cling to those tenants. So you can't be brilliant at science. If you were brilliant at anything, it would be Christianity but you can't properly identify what you value as Christianity, so you can't be brilliant with that either can you?
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dredge

Quote from: Recusant on January 12, 2017, 01:05:38 AM
The Miller-Urey experiments were valid according to the knowledge of the time ... Most importantly however, the results of an experiment that took place over half a century ago have little to do with current hypotheses of abiogenesis, so Miller-Urey is pretty much irrelevant here.
Please tell that to the hordes of atheists who still cite these experiements as evidence.
QuoteYour assertion that "no one can possibly know" what the pre-biotic atmosphere of the Earth was like shows that you haven't bothered to explore and examine what current science has to say on the topic, including the means that are available to do that which you believe is impossible.
Scientists can speculate and theorise until the cows come home, but the fact remains that no one can know with certainty what was happening BILLIONS of years ago.
QuoteComputer models are not "specious evidence," they're a means of experimentation. The validity of evidence that they provide depends on how closely they conform to the conditions they're intended to replicate. You denigrate them without providing a single example showing why you consider them to be specious. Until you do so, even if we ignore your confusion between experiment and evidence, your assertion is worthless.
Computer models - the ultimate exercise in "paper" science.  Apparently they're infallible.  Are you telling me that no computer model has ever turned out to be wrong?
QuoteI see that you're moving the goalposts so you can engage in some more sneering. This approach doesn't speak well for your intellectual honesty
Not moving the goalposts at all.  Abiogenesis research is just a pie-in-the-sky talkfest unless scientists can actually come up with the only result that is worth anything - ie, abiogenesis itself; you know, a living, reproducing organism.  I wish them luck.

Dredge

Quote from: Davin on January 12, 2017, 02:11:57 PM
You don't understand science, so judgments from you about science are worthless.
I understand enough about science to know that it can be abused to promote unscientific nonsense - which is why I only have faith in applied science.  Theoretical science is useless, so what am I missing out on by rejecting it?   Nothing, except an opportunity to indulge in potential fantasy.  
  For example, the much-celebrated "fact" that one species evolved from another species has no practical use whatsoever.  Perfect uselessness is exactly what one would expect from a theory that is false.

Dredge

Quote from: Magdalena on January 12, 2017, 05:00:59 AM
Didn't the church have to rely on three radiocarbon dating tests, or some dumb scientific shit like that, to determine how old that thing was?
The radioactive dating of the Shroud of Turin produced a date of the thirteenth century, which doesn't fit in with the time of Christ.  However, it now seems apparent that the material tested was taken from the edge of the Shroud and said material was very different to the rest of the Shroud.  It is suspected that this aberrant "edge" material was part of a repair job performed on the Shroud centuries after it came into existence.  Apart fom that, radioactive dating isn't infallible.  (I wonder if such dating methods have ever been used as submissible evidence in a court case.)

Dredge

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 12, 2017, 01:48:25 AM
Yes, it seems that not only do they have a shallow understanding of science, they take it all for granted.
Aren't there creationists with very impressive qualifications in science; as in doctorates and professorships?  If so, in what way is their understanding of science shallow?

Firebird

Quote from: Dredge on January 18, 2017, 04:10:04 AM
I understand enough about science to know that it can be abused to promote unscientific nonsense - which is why I only have faith in applied science.  Theoretical science is useless, so what am I missing out on by rejecting it? 
Ahh yes, the bullshit "distinction"  between applied vs theoretical, or as creationists call it, "historical" science. If you actually knew anything about science, you would know that no real scientist sees any distinction between the validity of the two. Even Ken Hamm admitted only the Answers in Genesis "scientists" thought there was a difference.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Magdalena

Quote from: Dredge on January 18, 2017, 03:33:45 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on January 15, 2017, 05:57:45 AM

What does heaven look like to you?
No aging, nor death, nor sickness, nor ugliness.  Golf balls don't sink sink, they float.  If you crash your motorcycle, you don't get hurt.  If you go surfing, no shark will bite you.   There are no biting insects such as fleas and mosquitoes.  There is no separation between God and man, as there is now.

Now you sound like a Republican Roman Catholic who is fascinated by atheism.  :eyebrow:

I am pro-aging.
I am pro death.
I am pro ugliness.
I don't know why heaven would have: golf balls/motorcycles/surfing.
I believe sharks/insects/fleas/mosquitoes have the right to bite us if we invade their space.
Separation of god and state is the best thing we've ever done.

Dredge, you have just gone to a spiritual realm that might seem deep to you, but to me, it is extremely shallow. It's sad that someone without spirituality or even a soul, like me--a sinful atheist, can perceive this in someone like you, who feels so close to a god.

You have no spirituality and no science. I am done with this conversation. 

Besides, a heaven with prostitutes, pimps, gamblers, jokers, smokers, and midnight tokers sounds more like the type of people Jesus would rather hang out with--forever.
--not golfers.  :eyeroll:

Good night. Good luck.  :computerwave:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Arturo

I understand enough about science to know that it can be abused to promote unscientific nonsense - which is why I only have faith in applied science.  Theoretical science is useless, so what am I missing out on by rejecting it?   Nothing, except an opportunity to indulge in potential fantasy. 
  For example, the much-celebrated "fact" that one species evolved from another species has no practical use whatsoever.  Perfect uselessness is exactly what one would expect from a theory that is false.
"Theoretical science is useless" Because theories are in no way better than the your speculation about starfish. But you'll use that in a post as a talking point instead of real, hard evidence backed science.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Asmodean

Quote from: Dredge on January 18, 2017, 04:01:54 AM
fact remains that no one can know with certainty what was happening BILLIONS of years ago.
It's not a fact, it's a falsehood. We can, we do and we learn more every day.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dave

You don't understand science, so judgments from you about science are worthless.
I understand enough about science to know that it can be abused to promote unscientific nonsense . . .

Which, as you know, is a common  error of theists - especially those supporting creationism.

The scientific evidence, theoretical or applied, for the existence of the supernatural seems to be zero.

Dredge, could you please offer your definition of science to us? Do you consider it a mindset - a view of the universe, or a method - a way of considering and testing how the universe works?

Edited, sorry, put handle of wrong poster in first edition, not easy to differentiate between one theist and another at times.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

I understand enough about science to know that it can be abused to promote unscientific nonsense - ...
You are suffering from from the Dunning-Krugar Effect

You don't understand science and you are in fact one of the people who do this "{science} can be abused to promote unscientific nonsense".
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Yeah... Promoting unscientific nonsense is one of few thing science cannot be used for.

Some people's "understanding" of what science is and how it works, on the other hand... That can be used towards that goal.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on January 18, 2017, 10:58:54 AM
Yeah... Promoting unscientific nonsense is one of few thing science cannot be used for.

Some people's "understanding" of what science is and how it works, on the other hand... That can be used towards that goal.
Of course there are those that understand science and wilfully misrepresent it to suit their own agendas.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.