News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Evangelical Atheist / Proof of no God

Started by alswiader, April 12, 2011, 08:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

Quote from: "alswiader"Looks like many of you answered my questions, and many of you didn't. I have been associating "God" to be differently and specifically defined from one religion to the next. However, we all remark upon a unified god that is still recognized, but only partially associated from one religion to the next. This is confusing me. How is it possible to generalize the title of "God" , whether atheist or theist, when it's recognition and origin stems from "the word"? It makes sense to me that you cannot define god if you do not believe in it. Only theists can define god. To them, they are the only ones with the proof. This theory of god we remark upon, an unfalsifiable god, is not really a god anyone should or could believe in because 1) A generalization of god, as an atheist or theist, is only a bastardized theory of god handed DOWN from displaced texts. 2) If we do accept god to be defined as unified, we move UP in our understanding as our acceptance becomes unified. aka New New Testament.

To summarize, God is not unfalsifiable. God is true. It says it in the books. If you choose not to believe that, you are an atheist or a believer of part of a god that makes it unfalsifiable and unified. No one on earth should be recognizing god, either way, to be so profound and so generalized, but they do. Everyone seems to want God to be as simple as possible. Understanding existence by means of breaking apart it's complexities into it's fundamentals is known as philosophy. Unfortunately, (now, here's the point) philosophy of religion is an oxymoron.

Just because one religion is popular doesn't mean they hold a monopoly on what the word god means.  when I refer a generic god I'm talking about the deist idea of god...the god philosophers are talking about when they discuss god generically.

btw, you should google ignostic.

sillyseal

I think we should be supportive of others that are ready to come to us. I like the efforts of a lot of youtubers and similar 'activists' that apply their efforts, not necessarily on preaching and looking for possible converts, but that introduce the information for those who are looking for it. That is what worked for me. At the end of the day, if your goal is to make a difference, you should be looking for the most effective way of communication and evangelical atheism is not, in my opinion. Maybe a lot of prejudice and distrust against atheists lies in the fact that we can be rather intolerant. Of course, that's not the only reason for hostility but we become counter-productive when we become hostile ourselves.

And god isn't monopolized by religions, as Whitney says. I was an agnostic theist for some time after leaving my catholic faith. I don't think the battle is atheists vs. theists. I think it's rational and productive thinkers vs. extremists and oppressors.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: "sillyseal"I don't think the battle is atheists vs. theists. I think it's rational and productive thinkers vs. extremists and oppressors.

I whole-heartedly agree with this. I don't enjoy nit-picking on defining just how much I "don't" believe in god. Personally, I don't find a belief in god to be convincing in any form that has been presented to me by religion. I don't like what dogma does to people. I carry on my life as if there is no god and am content with that. That's as far as I take my analysis. Yeah, I could spend a lot of energy agonizing over exactly what I do or don't believe in, and where the basis for my knowledge comes from, but what's the point? I don't think I am touting ignorance, I think there is just a balance between going "Does this make sense? no? okay, I won't believe in it" and dedicating my life to dissecting philosophical semantics.

I like logic and reason as much as the next secular person, but there's a disconnect between intellectual exercises and how most of us actually live our lives. I'm content that believing in ancient books that tell fairy tales is illogical, I get that, as part of the human condition, people feel the need to invest in ideas bigger than themselves, so that's where a lot of other people's fanaticism comes from. At the end of the day most of us live our lives the way we feel is going to make us happiest, whatever that is. I don't mind sharing my thoughts, but, again, I think it's about a balanced approach.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.