Fearlessly the idiot faced the crowd, smiling
Merciless, the magistrate turns 'round, frowning
and who's the fool who wears the crown
Go down in your own way
And everyday is the right day
And as you rise above the fearlines in his frown
You look down
Hear the sound of the faces in the crowd "
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Biggus Dickus

Meddle was one of my favorite Pink Floyd albums for a while, I remember discovering it around 10 years after it released when I was a junior in high school.

I had a fairly decent stereo system in the basement of my parents home, and I pushed the limits of their tolerance many a time with both the volume of the music, and of course the choice of the music itself.

I hear an old track like this, and sometimes I can still hear either mom or pop yelling at me from the top of the stairs to "Turn that racket down".

Finally had to invest in a good pair of headphones, a purchase which precipitated my folks habit of turning the stairway lights on and off in rapid-succession in order to get my attention when I was down there "Spacing Out to My Music" as they like to say.

Dad actually like a couple Pink Floyd songs (Money and one other, but I forget), which may simply was the result in my playing albums like "Meddle" over, and over, and over...much of it he simply couldn't get or ever appreciate. Different generation. He fought in the war. You know, the "Big One".

Last thing he ever said to me, the night before he died was from the top of the stairway, " Goodnight, don't stay up too late, and keep it down".

Sorry for the rumination, but I haven't heard this song in a long time.

Sooner than wait for
A break in the weather,
I'll gather my far-flung
Thoughts together
Speeding away
On the wind to a new day
And if you're alone
I'll come home
And I pause for a while
By...

Thanks for posting Mr. B (Pink isn't much appreciated here at HAF, most likely you'll be banned for this :o)

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Mr. B

Father Bruno, I think you and I could suss the meaning of life itself through our stories revolving around music.  That is something worth appreciating.

If this forum had a "karma" system or some way of giving people a thumbs up I would give everyone a +1 for the last few contributions.

I love Chet Faker. It's really hard to decide which version of "No Diggity" is better. I am a sensitive new age cow person and I always walk this way.

I wish I had the time to respond to each of you individually. But I don't.

So. I just gotta say...I am happy to have found a group of people who appreciate music as much as I do.

Check this one out, It's not a cover band. It's an amalgam of some of the finest musicians to grace this earth.   

And yes, that is Yo-Yo Ma.

Chris Thile was in a band called Nickle Creek many years ago. They were scheduled play at our local Blue Plum festival in Johnson City, TN. Before the festival they received their first grammy for their first album but they did not cancel their stop in this po dunk town or ask for more money. They simply played.

So many things to say right now. I'm too excited and work comes early.

Okay, listen. The community I grew up and currently live in is an active musical community. There is a fellow in this band who has been to my house...or at least my parents house. He was a good friend of my sister who has a music master in voice performance.

They have also won a couple of grammies.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

hermes2015

Quote from: Father Bruno on February 21, 2017, 01:51:30 PM
Thanks for posting Mr. B (Pink isn't much appreciated here at HAF, most likely you'll be banned for this :o)

Oh, I love them and especially Roger Waters. He is only 3 years older than me - in his twenties I though he was so sexy and I was quite in love with him. So some of us at HAF do appreciate Pink Floyd, even the older ones like me.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

Quote from: hermes2015 on February 23, 2017, 07:05:57 AM
Quote from: Father Bruno on February 21, 2017, 01:51:30 PM

Oh, I love them and especially Roger Waters. He is only 3 years older than me - in his twenties I though he was so sexy and I was quite in love with him. So some of us at HAF do appreciate Pink Floyd, even the older ones like me.

I've got Wet Dream on vinyl, you could borrow Rumours, Hotel California, Dark Side and make a tape.
You had to buy the marginal, I've got a Gilmour album too, they're both OK but I haven't listened to either for a while.

I'm listening to Jimmy Cliff Rebirth
I find it accessible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG6Eop0x5UU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X9CRXxzIfg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35yU3ppiaUo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afmqp8AK6SA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boPCNaFPrso
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Mr. B

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Mr. B on February 23, 2017, 05:12:27 AM
Father Bruno, I think you and I could suss the meaning of life itself through our stories revolving around music.  That is something worth appreciating.

Mr B, I agree. Yes my life, especially my early life is very distinctly related to music and how I interacted with it.
They say complex emotions and memory can be triggered by sensory cues when we smell certain things, such as a particular perfume, or for me the smell of radiated heat coming from a home heated by a steam boiler. (I walk into an old home still heated by radiators and it's like getting slapped in the face with a whole swarm of childhood memories)

Anyway music has the same affect on me, like when I listened to your earlier posting of Pink Floyd. Nothing soothes my troubled soul and mind better than music, it's been a constant companion to me my entire life.

Quote from: Mr. B on February 23, 2017, 05:12:27 AM

Check this one out, It's not a cover band. It's an amalgam of some of the finest musicians to grace this earth.   

And yes, that is Yo-Yo Ma.

Chris Thile was in a band called Nickle Creek many years ago. They were scheduled play at our local Blue Plum festival in Johnson City, TN. Before the festival they received their first grammy for their first album but they did not cancel their stop in this po dunk town or ask for more money. They simply played.

Hey! That's Yo-Yo Ma 8)

That was a wonderful piece, and of course immediately upon hearing it had to look up and see what's going on with this trio of Yo-Yo Ma, Edgar Meyer and Chris Thile and come to find out they will be in Ann Arbor, just outside Detroit at the Hill Auditorium in April. Alas, the show is sold out already, but I'm hopeful that I may be able to still score some tickets to this as it's a great venue to see a concert.

I was thinking it should be a rule of this thread that you can't post a comment without leaving a song behind as well.

So in honor of that glorious day of February 23rd,1944 when in Beaumont TX a Mr. John Dawson Winter III was born.

...other wise know as "Johnny Winter"

I give you "Mean Town Blues".

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Mr. B

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Biggus Dickus

Good post Arturo, that was interesting.
:postoday:

(Wish they would have spent a bit more time in the earlier centuries, sort of glossed over that a bit, but it was really cool 8))

This represents my mood right now.

Kaleo - Way Down We Go