News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 23, 2019, 08:25:37 PM
Just got back from the Vet.  :'(  It's gonna be tough to replace that little sweetheart. Thanks all for the condolences.

Oh that's so sad  :'(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Tank on February 24, 2019, 05:17:22 PM
Just got back from the Vet.  :'(  It's gonna be tough to replace that little sweetheart. Thanks all for the condolences.

Thanks.

My wife wanted to go see a movie to take her mind off of it. The movie had a scene where the protagonist cuts loose of his pet, to go live with the rest of the beasts like him. In case anyone goes and sees it, I'm not going to identify that movie and spoil it. So there I was, reliving cutting loose of my little dog all over again.

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 24, 2019, 11:01:25 PM
Quote from: Tank on February 24, 2019, 05:17:22 PM

Thanks.

My wife wanted to go see a movie to take her mind off of it. The movie had a scene where the protagonist cuts loose of his pet, to go live with the rest of the beasts like him. In case anyone goes and sees it, I'm not going to identify that movie and spoil it. So there I was, reliving cutting loose of my little dog all over again.

Oh no!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

jumbojak

Well, the oven is broken. Damn heating element decided to put on a little show, apparently. Hopefully Amazon has parts. *sigh* I was going to cook a roast.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Recusant

I'm having oven problems too. The thing keeps throwing spurious error codes which shut down the oven. I opened it up and checked connections, after which the error codes stopped. It worked for one cycle (baking a cake), but then halfway through a second (bread) it went back to its troublesome ways. It's looking like I'm going to have to replace the control panel, which will not be cheap.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

jumbojak

And that's why I like simple appliances!

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Guardian85

Quote from: jumbojak on March 03, 2019, 10:17:16 PM
Well, the oven is broken. Damn heating element decided to put on a little show, apparently. Hopefully Amazon has parts. *sigh* I was going to cook a roast.
Quote from: Recusant on March 03, 2019, 11:58:28 PM
I'm having oven problems too. The thing keeps throwing spurious error codes which shut down the oven. I opened it up and checked connections, after which the error codes stopped. It worked for one cycle (baking a cake), but then halfway through a second (bread) it went back to its troublesome ways. It's looking like I'm going to have to replace the control panel, which will not be cheap.
Have you gentlemen tried applying Standard Emergency Repair Procedure #1?

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Recusant

I'm gonna need a bigger spanner.  :)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

No one

I still can't find that magic wallet!

Bluenose

Quote from: Guardian85 on March 04, 2019, 07:13:16 PM

Ha, ha!  When I was flying in the Navy, back in the dark ages, our aircraft sometimes had some equipment that had been salvaged from other aircraft that had been involved in a deliberately lit fire in the hangar a few years prior.  Such equipment was identified with a red X painted on a prominent part of the gear.  The maintainers used to get upset when we aircrew asked them if that was where we thumped it when it when it didn't work.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

jumbojak

Quote from: Recusant on March 04, 2019, 10:03:43 PM
I'm gonna need a bigger spanner.  :)

I've got a 36" pipe wrench you can borrow.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Bluenose on March 04, 2019, 11:06:47 PM
Quote from: Guardian85 on March 04, 2019, 07:13:16 PM

Ha, ha!  When I was flying in the Navy, back in the dark ages, our aircraft sometimes had some equipment that had been salvaged from other aircraft that had been involved in a deliberately lit fire in the hangar a few years prior.  Such equipment was identified with a red X painted on a prominent part of the gear.  The maintainers used to get upset when we aircrew asked them if that was where we thumped it when it when it didn't work.

:eyebrow: You flew in aircraft with salvaged parts that had been in a fire? Who ever decided that these parts were airworthy!? Or were you flying suicide missions, anyway? It's not reassuring that the US Navy isn't the only service with pyromaniacs in it. I served on the USS Oriskany as my last duty station, and someone set a fire below an expansion joint in the fire main system. Of course, the fire went out, but what a mess. People nearly died, because a hatch to a berthing compartment had to be closed to reduce flooding, with a bunch of sailors in it.v >:(

Recusant

Just for future reference, in case anybody here ends up dealing with a situation similar to what I described above, I've found a place called FixYourBoard that will test and repair control boards for a variety of applications. Less expensive (sometimes significantly so) than replacing, and in some cases the only route, if the manufacturer has stopped selling replacement control boards.
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Quote from: Recusant on March 05, 2019, 07:21:03 AM
Just for future reference, in case anybody here ends up dealing with a situation similar to what I described above, I've found a place called FixYourBoard that will test and repair control boards for a variety of applications. Less expensive (sometimes significantly so) than replacing, and in some cases the only route, if the manufacturer has stopped selling replacement control boards.
Very interesting.