News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Deeper into the Trump Abyss.

Started by Dave, January 30, 2017, 07:22:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

El Orange's Economic Advisor, Gary Cohn, has resigned over the tarriff situation. An expert on the BBC WS has said that the tarriff supporters set up their campaign without Cohn's knowledge and side-lined him.

So, internal intrigue rules in the Trump Shite House. The expert described it as a "reality show" but said there is a long list of people wanting to work there - echoing Trump's own words. But what is the character type and quality of these people - sickopants sychophants?

QuoteHouse in wake of tariff rift
Cohn, who had been rumored just weeks ago as a potential next chief of staff, will leave the White House in the wake of his fierce disagreement with the President's decision to impose tariffs on steel and aluminum imports. Cohn is expected to leave in the coming weeks, the White House said.
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/03/06/politics/gary-cohn-white-house-tariffs/index.html
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave

Sounds like the EU Commisioner for Trade, Cecelia Malström is, er, winding up a storm over Trumps tariff changes.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Dave on March 08, 2018, 10:18:06 PM
Sounds like the EU Commisioner for Trade, Cecelia Malström is, er, winding up a storm over Trumps tariff changes.

Please tell me that is her real name, and your'e not just making a funny.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dave

Quote from: Sandra Craft on March 09, 2018, 01:40:06 AM
Quote from: Dave on March 08, 2018, 10:18:06 PM

Please tell me that is her real name, and your'e not just making a funny.

Sorry! It's actually Malmstrõm!

:devil:

Essie Mae

Suppose the Trump and Kim Jong-un Find they like each other, I mean really like each other? ........
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Dave

Quote from: Essie Mae on March 09, 2018, 11:03:57 AM
Suppose the Trump and Kim Jong-un Find they like each other, I mean really like each other? ........

Well, in terms of mouthiness they are virtual brothers.

Tom62

Quote from: Dave on March 09, 2018, 11:21:08 AM
Quote from: Essie Mae on March 09, 2018, 11:03:57 AM

Well, in terms of mouthiness they are virtual brothers.

In that case there is nothing to fear.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Icarus

I am terrified at the prospect of having those two meet.  Kim is a lunatic and the Donald is a loose cannon.

Trump's genius maneuver with the tariffs will save a thousand jobs.  It has the potential to  cost tens of thousands of jobs.  I'm thinking General Motors, Ford, Chrysler/Fiat , Caterpillar, John Deere, and General Dynamics ( GD= submarines....Jet engines..and lots more) All of these very large businesses use steel.  Jack the price of steel and damage the bottom line of those firms. Damage the security of a job at any of those firms.

Brazil is a major buyer of coal from the US...some billion dollars a year for our coal industry.  They are a major steel supplier for us who use a particular kind of coal to make their steel that we buy.....but now we wont be buying steel from Brazil.  Brazil will retaliate and some of our coal miners will be out of work. 

The world economy is rather delicately balanced.  We diminish the market for Brazilian steel and a lot of Brazilian workers will be out of a job. There is a long term established maker of saw blades and similar cutting tools in Michigan.  The name of the company is Simonds.
They use a particular alloy of steel that is not made in the USA.  There are only four sources. Two in Europe, two in China.  SImonds is screwed. They'll have to take a big hit when buying their particular alloy of steel from the "foreigners".   Their business will suffer big time and they will lay off a lot of good and talented workers who used to make those damned saw blades.   

Our dipshit president is a piss poor chess player.  He does not appear to understand cause and effect and has no identifiable skill in anticipating the next move by the opponent.

Dave

Yeah, America buys a lot of the special steel alloys that Britain excells in. So chances are we will lose jobs and your military supply and space industries will be unable to complete contracts, or have to renegotiate the costs.

Rather than protecting state security this policy stands a good chance of destroying it. The Orange Nut has back-tracked on Canada and Mexico and says he will possibly announce other concessions "for friendly nations" later. Chances are the money men, as well as Rep senators, are ganging up on him and he is looking for a back door he can sneak through.

jumbojak

But... but... we'll just start making those alloys here, right? It's not like a steel mill is a complicated or expensive enterprise to start up. And in the meantime, we can use our mini Mills to process scrap into submarine hulls and jet engine housings. Worst case scenario is that the price of rebar sees a slight bump.

*I imagine those thoughts going through Trump's head*

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

You wait. It'll be the bromance of the decade.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

The tariff thing has far reaching consequences.  An editorial in today's newspaper addressed the plight of the citrus fruit growers here in Florida.  Orange juice is  one of the major economic driver here.  We have shipped 150,000 metric tons of orange juice to Europe in the last ten years.  Now if the EU does retaliate, as they have already promised, our citrus industry will be decimated.  The EU countries can easily get their orange juice from Brazil and Brazilian producers will be pleased at the larger market opportunity. In fact Brazil already holds the majority of the European market.  Florida will lose thousands of jobs thanks to a misstep by the Donald.

Meanwhile, US Steel has reopened a steel production plant in Granite City Illinois. They will be rehiring 500 employees who had formerly worked at the facility. The prospect of going back to work has made 500 people happy.  Good for those people who had been underemployed or not employed at all.  Unfortunately there are far more people in other industries who will  lose their jobs. 

If there is to be a ten percent tariff on aluminum, one has to wonder if that also applies to Bauxite which is the raw material from which aluminum is made.  Will the tariff also apply to metal alloying elements like Nickle, chromium, and others that are not readily available as a domestic mined raw material?   

:notsure:

xSilverPhinx

Anyone want some orange juice? :hammock:

In all seriousness now, I do wonder how Dumpster Trumpster fire thinks he'll pull it off in a global economy.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Another sacking!

QuoteTrump sacks Rex Tillerson, appoints CIA chief Mike Pompeo Secretary of State
US President Donald Trump on Tuesday fired Secretary of State Rex Tillerson announcing on Twitter that he will be replaced by CIA chief Mike Pompeo.   

"Mike Pompeo, Director of the CIA, will become our new Secretary of State. He will do a fantastic job!" Trump tweeted.

"Thank you to Rex Tillerson for his service!" he added.

The US president announced the appointment of Gina Haspel to head the Central Intelligence Agency -- the first woman tapped for the post.

Donald Trump wanted to change up his cabinet team before launching high-stakes negotiations with North Korea, a senior US official said.

"The President wanted to make sure to have his new team in place in advance of the upcoming talks with North Korea," the official said.

The reshuffle comes days after the spectacular announcement of a meeting between Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, whose date and details have yet to be determined.
https://www.geo.tv/latest/186155-cia-chief-mike-pompeo-to-be-us-secretary-of-state-after-rex-tillerson-sacked

The suggestion is it is becsuse he supported Britain's stance over the use of a nerve agent in the attempted murder of an ex Russian double agent. It seems Trump disagrees.

This is another boost for Putin, but Trump is too fucking thick to realise that. Like any politician Tillerson had his bad points but, so far, seemed to be one of the more sensible members of the Trump Shite House team.

Here's an assessment of Pompeo:
QuoteMike Pompeo, your likely new — and Trump-friendly — secretary of state.

President Donald Trump has tapped CIA Director Mike Pompeo, the former three-term Republican Congress member known for his hawkish stance on Iran and his aggressive grilling of Hillary Clinton over Benghazi, as the new secretary of state.

In his 14 months as CIA director, Pompeo — who will replace beleaguered Secretary of State Rex Tillerson — quickly developed a close relationship with the president. He gave Trump daily intelligence briefings as well as his thoughts on whatever political or national security issue might be prominent that week.
https://www.vox.com/world/2017/11/30/16719690/mike-pompeo-tillerson-haspel-cia-state-department

I just wonder how objective, how unbiased, those briefings were . . .

Wonder which Yes (Mr President, Sir) Man will get the CIA job?

jumbojak

Did he even last a whole year?

Edit: Seems he was there just over w year. Wouldn't it be amusing if the Senate refused his new nominee?

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz