News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Deeper into the Trump Abyss.

Started by Dave, January 30, 2017, 07:22:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Defence Intelligence director Flynn may have talked with the Russian ambassador before Trump tge election it seems and this vould have been an illegal act.

QuoteTrump adviser had five calls with Russian envoy on day of sanctions: sources

QuoteThe calls raised fresh questions among some U.S. officials about contacts between Trump's advisers and Russian officials at a time when U.S. intelligence agencies contend that Moscow waged a multifaceted campaign of hacking and other actions to boost Republican Trump's election chances against Democrat Hillary Clinton.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Firebird

Quote from: Gloucester on February 11, 2017, 08:35:27 PM
I heard something on the news about a new executive order, regarding the ban, early next week, context was instead of fighting the current court decisions.

Seems that some evangelicals are not happy with the ban either.

QuoteEvangelical figures from all 50 states published a letter this week calling on President Trump and Vice President Mike Pence to rethink their four-month moratorium on refugee resettlement.

Yeah, well, not enough to realize what fucking hypocrites they are:

For Religious Conservatives, Success and Access at the Trump White House

QuoteRight after Mr. Dobson blessed Mike Pence, and just before the congregation sang "Onward, Christian Soldiers," Mr. Robison took to the pulpit and asked Mr. Trump to rise.

For six minutes, the president-elect stood as Mr. Robison heaped praise on him, extolling his ability to inspire a crowd, his choice of the deeply religious Mr. Pence as a running mate and his wisdom in selecting a White House team that he deemed "the greatest cabinet I've ever seen."

"You are, in fact, an answer to prayer," Mr. Robison said, according to a video taken from the back of the church, where every president has attended services since it opened in 1816. "I think you have been designed and gifted by God for this moment."

I really should read The Handmaid's Tale at some point, but it might make my head explode.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Dave

QuoteI really should read The Handmaid's Tale at some point, but it might make my head explode.
Do so, Icarus! One of the best books of its genre I have read. Even the movie was pretty good.

In fact, might look for a copy of the movie, could easily watch it again . . .

Later: on second thoughts . . . The DVD is about £80 new, 2nd hand ones between £18 and almost £70!!! Wish I had kept my old one, think I paid ten quid for it, could gave made a good profit!

Dave

Flynn has resigned - after, almost simultaneous, conflicting statements by Spicer (Flynn's position being assessed) and Conway (Flynn has president's confidence).

The pundits seem to think this is not the last upset for Trump's team.

No surprise.

Arturo

Quote from: Gloucester on February 14, 2017, 08:13:41 AM
Flynn has resigned - after, almost simultaneous, conflicting statements by Spicer (Flynn's position being assessed) and Conway (Flynn has president's confidence).

The pundits seem to think this is not the last upset for Trump's team.

No surprise.

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Seems Flynn was asked to redign because he had lost Trmp's trust, not because he "flouted the law."

So, it's OK to "flout the law" in Trump's administration?

Trump knew about it weeks ago it seems, sounds like a case of head in the sand - hope it will all go away if they didn't mention it. Then it leaked . . .

Correction: Trump only found out a short time ago from the media but his staff knew at least two weeks ago. Still seems to indicate division,  confusion or wiilful evasion amongst Trumps staff.

Trump said he hates illegal leaks, but he akso said he loved Wikileaks when he was hitting Clinton over her emails. "Consistent" seems to be missing from Trump's lexicon. Not even the pseudo-conistency of any "normal" politician. The trump administration's spin is amateurish at best. More like spun glass.

[But not as attractive as this piece of spun glass!]

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Dave

Every time I hear this story the media seem to have a very slightly different version of who knew what when.

There is now talk of the Republicans holding an enquirey into it. One might guess that there are sone regrets amongst the elephants that they actually won the election. Had this been a Democrat predident they would probsbly be spinning up grounds for impeachnent by now. Incompetence is not technically an impeachable "offence" it seems.

The accusations of sexual assault, the questions over his tax returns and other possible criminal matters still lurk.

Davin

I think it's important not to forget the Russian involvement. We need to make sure that our president is not being controlled by a foreign entity.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Quote from: Davin on February 15, 2017, 01:51:40 PM
I think it's important not to forget the Russian involvement. We need to make absolutely sure that our president is not being controlled by a foreign entity.

?

He has to be 100% squeaky clean in that respect. Is it possible that Trump can be 100% squeay clean in any respect?

Davin

Quote from: Gloucester on February 15, 2017, 01:57:16 PM
I think it's important not to forget the Russian involvement. We need to make absolutely sure that our president is not being controlled by a foreign entity.

?

He has to be 100% squeaky clean in that respect. Is it possible that Trump can be 100% squeay clean in any respect?
No one is going to be squeaky clean, but we can be sure whether or not a President was getting some money and support from a foreign entity. The "absolutely sure" means a thorough investigation, not that we need someone who is squeaky clean.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Quote from: Davin on February 15, 2017, 02:01:11 PM

?

No one is going to be squeaky clean, but we can be sure whether or not a President was getting some money and support from a foreign entity. The "absolutely sure" means a thorough investigation, not that we need someone who is squeaky clean.

Sorry, Davin, I added the "absolutely" to your post. But, you are correct, no one is 100% clean at that level of authority/power. One can only hope that he proves to be as clean as humanly possible. That he cleanly severs all commercial and financial links with any Russian organisation, company or individual  that has such links.

But . . . It would be rather embarrassing to have a president open to blackmail!

Davin

Quote from: Gloucester on February 15, 2017, 02:10:27 PM

?

Sorry, Davin, I added the "absolutely" to your post. But, you are correct, no one is 100% clean at that level of authority/power. One can only hope that he proves to be as clean as humanly possible. That he cleanly severs all commercial and financial links with any Russian organisation, company or individual  that has such links.

But . . . It would be rather embarrassing to have a president open to blackmail!
I feel that if he has already been compromised by accepting money and/or other support from a foreign entity, that he should no longer be president nor hold any office in the federal government.

Dave

Quote from: Davin on February 15, 2017, 02:15:52 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on February 15, 2017, 02:10:27 PM

?

I feel that if he has already been compromised by accepting money and/or other support from a foreign entity, that he should no longer be president nor hold any office in the federal government.

I entirely agree but would add that, apart from his commercial links, his inconsistent personality and behaviour make him a bad choice for any diplomatic position with absolute authority over so much power. Even if he were not a billionaire, with (possibly dirty) fingers in all kinds of pies, he seems eminently unsuitable for his office on ethical and moral grounds at least.

But, is he alone in that in American history, or ust an extreme and obvious case?

Davin

Quote from: Gloucester on February 15, 2017, 02:55:16 PM
I entirely agree but would add that, apart from his commercial links, his inconsistent personality and behaviour make him a bad choice for any diplomatic position with absolute authority over so much power. Even if he were not a billionaire, with (possibly dirty) fingers in all kinds of pies, he seems eminently unsuitable for his office on ethical and moral grounds at least.

But, is he alone in that in American history, or ust an extreme and obvious case?
I agree, that's why I didn't vote for him. Other people thought that it was a good trait. Those other people won. However much I disagree with that kind of behavior, I don't think it as dangerous or bad as him being under the thumb of foreign entities.

I think that either "side" of the Trump supporters can agree that a president being controlled by a foreign entity is a bad thing, even if we disagree on everything else about Trump.

I think we could also agree that a president with a clear vested interest in matters involving him or his close friends and families, cannot be trusted to act in the best interests of the them or other Americans. Though that one is a little more difficult to get across.

Dave

Quote from: Davin on February 15, 2017, 03:36:40 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on February 15, 2017, 02:55:16 PM

I agree, that's why I didn't vote for him. Other people thought that it was a good trait. Those other people won. However much I disagree with that kind of behavior, I don't think it as dangerous or bad as him being under the thumb of foreign entities.

I think that either "side" of the Trump supporters can agree that a president being controlled by a foreign entity is a bad thing, even if we disagree on everything else about Trump.

I think we could also agree that a president with a clear vested interest in matters involving him or his close friends and families, cannot be trusted to act in the best interests of the them or other Americans. Though that one is a little more difficult to get across.

Yes, those who chose him and now, perhaps, realised they made the wrong choice are going to "defend" themselves by keeping their head low, until, maybe, his policies affect them sufficiently seriously and adversely that they figure everyone else is so angry their original choice will be forgotten.

"I got it wrong" does not come readily to some.