Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kusa

Quote from: hermes2015 on February 26, 2020, 05:49:10 AM
Corroded lead strips taken from the roof of a 90-year old house I owned many years ago. I'm probably strange, but I like the textures so much that I plan to use the strips in a metal collage painting.

What were these strips originally used for?

hermes2015

Quote from: Kusa on February 26, 2020, 04:15:33 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on February 26, 2020, 05:49:10 AM
Corroded lead strips taken from the roof of a 90-year old house I owned many years ago. I'm probably strange, but I like the textures so much that I plan to use the strips in a metal collage painting.

What were these strips originally used for?

They were installed as waterproofing flashing between the corrugated iron roof plates and one area of the fireplace chimney many years before I bought the place. I removed and and replaced them with modern polymer-based material when I repainted the roof during a renovation project. The fact that they used lead flashing tells me it was probably done before WWII.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Kusa

Interesting. I guess we gave most of our spare lead to the Germans in WWII.

Tank

Prague Feb 2020

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

hermes2015

Lovely photos of one of my favourite, very photogenic cities.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

hermes2015

― Charles Eames

billy rubin

i expected nothing but im still disappointed

Tank

Recusant

Cool stuff! Thank you for posting those, Tank. I'm guessing that what's engraved on the blade of the ceremonial-looking pistol knife (#6) is saint's names, listed by their feast day.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Quote from: Recusant on March 03, 2020, 09:55:58 PM
Cool stuff! Thank you for posting those, Tank. I'm guessing that what's engraved on the blade of the ceremonial-looking pistol knife (#6) is saint's names, listed by their feast day.

Your guess is as good as mine. It's a bit of a tease as it's a modern piece sponsored by the museum to keep old techniques alive.

jumbojak

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Icarus

Spectacular photos Tank. Makes me want to visit the place.

The word is that the Czechs are master beer brewers of long standing.  They also drink more beer than the Germans do.

Another curious side note is that the Czechs are most proud of their distant ancestry who were Mongols. Any substance to that ancestral claim?  I only learned these tidbits of rumor from the travel guy , Rick Steves.

JJ that is a most creative picture.  I think it fascinating and I am not even a firebug.

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on March 04, 2020, 03:25:55 AM
Spectacular photos Tank. Makes me want to visit the place.

The word is that the Czechs are master beer brewers of long standing.  They also drink more beer than the Germans do.

Another curious side note is that the Czechs are most proud of their distant ancestry who were Mongols. Any substance to that ancestral claim?  I only learned these tidbits of rumor from the travel guy , Rick Steves.

JJ that is a most creative picture.  I think it fascinating and I am not even a firebug.

It's worth a visit, Icarus. I was lucky enough to stay at the Hotel Century Old Town in Prague, which was converted from the office building where Kafka worked as an insurance clerk. Unfortunately, I could not get to sleep in the room that was once his office.
― Charles Eames