Loch Ness Monster seen as real dinosaur in biology books taught in Louisiana

Started by Java, June 27, 2012, 09:45:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldGit

^ Well, obviously.  We know that we stay on the ground because the FSM's noodly appendages pull us.  Surely no-one would argue with that?

Asmodean

Is blasphemy to any Asmoist.  >:( The Clay, you see, it sucks things down towards it.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

OldGit

Asmodean

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

Quote from: Asmodean on June 27, 2012, 05:51:31 PM
Is blasphemy to any Asmoist.  >:( The Clay, you see, it sucks things down towards it.

*Nods solemnly*  And your feet get stuck in it, thereby preventing you from being thrown off the face of the planet and hurled into outer space.  Unless Asmo, in his infinite wisdom and evil, ever decides to let go.....*ominous music*

Asmodean

Quote from: Ali on June 27, 2012, 05:54:19 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on June 27, 2012, 05:51:31 PM

*Nods solemnly*  And your feet get stuck in it, thereby preventing you from being thrown off the face of the planet and hurled into outer space.  Unless Asmo, in his infinite wisdom and evil, ever decides to let go.....*ominous music*
See? A bit prosaic, but almost straight from The Book(tm).  :D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Amicale

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/loch-ness-monster-real-dinosaur-biology-books-taught-louisiana-school-article-1.1102340

QuoteLoch Ness Monster seen as real dinosaur in biology books taught in Louisiana school

The startling claim about Nessie's authenticity is reportedly made to bolster creationism within the textbook. The Loch Ness Monster is described as a type of dinosaur, and if dinosaurs and man co-exist, then presumably there would be holes in the scientific argument for evolution.

The Scottish legend of the Loch Ness Monster is suggested as truth in a biology book that a private Christian school in Louisiana is using in its curriculum.

But that's only part of the outrage from critics: Students who are eligible for taxpayer-funded vouchers will be allowed to attend Eternity Christian Academy in Westlake for the 2012-13 school year, according to reports.

The startling claim about Nessie's authenticity is made to bolster creationism within the textbook, the Scotsman newspaper reported Monday. The Loch Ness Monster is described as a type of dinosaur, and if dinosaurs and man co-exist, then presumably there would be holes in the scientific argument for evolution.

The textbook, produced by Accelerated Christian Education, features a passage about the Loch Ness Monster in the Biology 1099 edition, Scotland's The Herald reported.

"Are dinosaurs alive today? Scientists are becoming more convinced of their existence," the textbook reads, according to the newspaper.

Read the rest at the link, if you'd like to - it goes on for a bit.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Java

Quote from: Ali on June 27, 2012, 04:08:10 PM
*facepalm*  I just...I can't....I don't..... *facepalm*

Also.

QuoteSome Christian schools eligible for vouchers are also reportedly teaching "Bible-based math," which doesn't include modern theories

WTF is Bible-based math?

ETA:  People always say that "math is the universal language."  Does the idea that Christians have their own special math suggest that they can't even speak the universal language?

My theory was this:

If God has 200 fish and there are 200 starving children, but 20 footballers pray for fish, how many fish are left over if God gives each foot ball player 10 fish?
Zombies are here already. They're called "the religious."

OldGit

Quote from: Matthew 14.20-21And they did all eat, and were filled: and they took up of the fragments that remained twelve baskets full.
And they that had eaten were about five thousand men, beside women and children.

If jebus controls the arithmetic. he can stretch the rations out.

Asmodean

Quote from: Java on June 27, 2012, 08:35:18 PM
My theory was this:

If God has 200 fish and there are 200 starving children, but 20 footballers pray for fish, how many fish are left over if God gives each foot ball player 10 fish?
Flaw: Why would a footballer be praying for a stinking fish?  ???
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Stevil

The universe was made in 1 day
earth took 5 days

Noah lived for 950 years
Adam for 930 years

Bible math, you make assertions and people believe it.

markmcdaniel

According to biblical math Darwinist are now allowed to claim the non existence of the Yeti, Bigfoot, Sasquatch, and Champy as proof for evolution.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

xSilverPhinx

To hell with all the maths, I'm writing that god works in mysterious ways in my maths test tomorrow!  >:( Surely that's the answer to beat all answers?

Come on guys, help me out here. I'm starting to panic. I'm beginning to lose my faith that 1+1=2. :(
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

Quote from: OldGit on June 27, 2012, 05:44:36 PM
^ Well, obviously.  We know that we stay on the ground because the FSM's noodly appendages pull us.  Surely no-one would argue with that?

You must be an Ultra-Orthodox Pastafarian. We reformists have realised the FSM pushes us down by the work of his omnipresent noodley appendage. And its one apoendage, we dont want to seem polytheistic do we? Do you wear full pirate garb?

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

markmcdaniel

Quote from: Ali on June 27, 2012, 05:14:24 PM
http://www.christianperspective.net/math/god-and-math/  *raised eyebrow*

Did you guys know that if god wasn't busy holding it together up there, 1+1 might not = 2.  What is, at it's essence, counting, apparently works because god created it and keeps it faithful.  I can't figure out what would happen if god wasn't holding it together for us.  1+1 could = 3. but does that mean that we just use the word 3 to convey the concept of 2, or does it mean that an extra thing popped up as a function of being added, but even if that were the case, wouldn't we just add another 1 anyway and call it 3?   ???
This actually explains a lot. Like why God does not answer all of those prayers for world peace or take the time to keep some of his priest in line.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche