News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Just thinkin'

Started by Dave, February 16, 2018, 08:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Magdalena on February 24, 2018, 07:18:05 AM
I've been Just Thinking/Talking to myself.

I don't think I belong here.
Maybe it's time for this witch  to fly over the Cuckoo's  nest on her queen size broom to the other side of the rainbow...If you know what I mean... :lol:

You don't know I mean, do you?  :(

OK.  :sad sigh:

Mags, if you're getting stressed have a HAF holiday. Then come back refreshed and enjoy us all again :grin:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Just thinkin... no idea what Silver's new avatar is but that is not important.

It does not have googly eyes!   :shocked:

Can the Universe exist in its present form with this omission, or have I slipped into a paraverse?  :query:

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Essie Mae

Quote from: Dave on February 25, 2018, 01:41:25 PM

Can the Universe exist in its present form with this omission, or have I slipped into a paraverse?  :query:

It's a hippocampus and I think we should be told whose.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Dave

Quote from: Essie Mae on February 25, 2018, 04:35:35 PM

Thought that was a kind of riding school . . .

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on February 25, 2018, 04:48:19 PM
Quote from: Essie Mae on February 25, 2018, 04:35:35 PM

Thought that was a kind of riding school . . .

No, it's either a gay hippopotamus or a gay horse.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

:lol: No it does not have googly eyes! :P But it is, in my view, one of the most important structures in the brain. Essie Mae is correct, it is a hippocampus, a structure responsible for forming memories, among other things.

Fun fact: neurogenesis (birth of new neurons) does occur in adults in the Dentate gyrus ('DG' in the drawing). As far as we know, it is the only place in an adult brain where this occurs. 

It was drawn by the father of modern neuroscience, Santiago Ramón y Cajal, a Spanish neuroanatomist. He hypothesised that the nervous system is made up of discrete, individual cells that are not in direct physical contact with each other (chemical synaptic transmission), when the prevailing theory was that everything was a reticular network. Ramón y Cajal's ideas were later proven to be correct.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on February 25, 2018, 08:05:22 AM

Maybe it's time for this witch  to fly over the Cuckoo's  nest on her queen size broom to the other side of the rainbow...If you know what I mean... :lol:

Mags, if you're getting stressed have a HAF holiday. Then come back refreshed and enjoy us all again :grin:

:this:

If you're having a bad spell turn Bruce into a newt again, that ought to relieve some stress! :grin:

Essie Mae

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 25, 2018, 09:31:32 PM
Quote from: Tank on February 25, 2018, 08:05:22 AM

:this:

If you're having a bad spell turn Bruce into a newt again, that ought to relieve some stress! :grin:

When I think of HAF, it looks like a wheel, each spoke being a HAF member and you are there with all the usual suspects. Do what you have to, but good thoughts coming across the Atlantic and hope you decide to stay. Otherwise there will be a gap in the spokes.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Dave

Been a bitsa day so far. First I must have ticked the wrong box because I am now the proud possesor of an electric guitar pick-up instead of a set of strings (got this idea for an instrument . . .) Never mind, decided that I can incorporate that as well and it's only a cheap one.

Then into town to get my specs fixed. But, to Geoff's bookshop first where I bought a copy of a book on, er, books - brief history of writing and printing.

Walking past The London Camera Exchange (bit far from its home town I know) and there is a basket outside marked "Freebies". I always like that they do this instead of just binning stuff. Though I do wish that they would take some of it just across the road to a charity shop. Usual selection of caps, cases, straps etc, couple of old, basic 35mm caneras, an old cheapo digital compact, a Canon EOS body and a Nikon D70 body.

!

Chances are they are so kaput they are not worth fixing - and I have enough junk. Also the Nikon has a different lens mount to mine. But I did pick up what looks like a brand new old type Nikon Speedlight. But only actually want the innards from that, I have its big bro.

Then I went to get some money from the ATM. Debit card not in its slot in my wallet!  :shocked:  :panic: Straight to my bank, cancelled the card, ordered a new one and had them check my account - nothing drawn since a known purchase yesterday. Drew some cash using my driving licence and a chit from the lady.

Treated myself to an egg, bacon and chips/fries for lunch, then got me glasses fixed. Boarded the bus home and looked for my bus pass, found the debit card amongst all the other plastic! Joking with the guy in Screwfix yeasterday I must have put it in there along with my loyalty card.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on February 27, 2018, 01:34:22 PM
Been a bitsa day so far. First I must have ticked the wrong box because I am now the proud possesor of an electric guitar pick-up instead of a set of strings (got this idea for an instrument . . .) Never mind, decided that I can incorporate that as well and it's only a cheap one.

Then into town to get my specs fixed. But, to Geoff's bookshop first where I bought a copy of a book on, er, books - brief history of writing and printing.

Walking past The London Camera Exchange (bit far from its home town I know) and there is a basket outside marked "Freebies". I always like that they do this instead of just binning stuff. Though I do wish that they would take some of it just across the road to a charity shop. Usual selection of caps, cases, straps etc, couple of old, basic 35mm caneras, an old cheapo digital compact, a Canon EOS body and a Nikon D70 body.

!

Chances are they are so kaput they are not worth fixing - and I have enough junk. Also the Nikon has a different lens mount to mine. But I did pick up what looks like a brand new old type Nikon Speedlight. But only actually want the innards from that, I have its big bro.

Then I went to get some money from the ATM. Debit card not in its slot in my wallet!  :shocked:  :panic: Straight to my bank, cancelled the card, ordered a new one and had them check my account - nothing drawn since a known purchase yesterday. Drew some cash using my driving licence and a chit from the lady.

Treated myself to an egg, bacon and chips/fries for lunch, then got me glasses fixed. Boarded the bus home and looked for my bus pass, found the debit card amongst all the other plastic! Joking with the guy in Screwfix yeasterday I must have put it in there along with my loyalty card.

Wow Dave, you are HAF's Leopold Bloom!
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on February 27, 2018, 01:41:00 PM
Quote from: Dave on February 27, 2018, 01:34:22 PM

!

Wow Dave, you are HAF's Leopold Bloom!

:lol:

Never actually read "Ulysses", but Samuel Pepys had something of a similar style, "To Ludgate, there to partake of an excellent pork pie at Mrs Figgins emporium,. Thence to the Admiralty whence I was called into my lords' chambers for instruction on the situation in Portsmouth. Home via Smith's coffee house to pick up the latest news . . " that's a parody but close to the style in places.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on February 27, 2018, 02:48:40 PM
Never actually read "Ulysses", but Samuel Pepys had something of a similar style, "To Ludgate, there to partake of an excellent pork pie at Mrs Figgins emporium,. Thence to the Admiralty whence I was called into my lords' chambers for instruction on the situation in Portsmouth. Home via Smith's coffee house to pick up the latest news . . " that's a parody but close to the style in places.

I read it using that excellent guide by Anthony Burgess when I was in hospital for a week once. I never managed Finnegans Wake, though.

Your Pepys parody (travesty?) is quite convincing.
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Just thinkin' I want to lie on my bed and listen to music with my eyes closed, just enjoy the experience for a while, but the AC in my room is broken and there's no way I'm going to go there in this heat.

Which god am I supposed to pray to to get the AC working again?  :Gaah: Is there like a Handyman's Saint or something?  :scratch: I'd buy the candles and light them!

Dave

Shucks, gosh darn and dang blast it and all that kind of stuff!

I ain't grumpy but, though I noted the possibility few days ago, I snuck past 5000 posts!

Never mind, eh?

jumbojak

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 04, 2018, 03:57:29 PM
Just thinkin' I want to lie on my bed and listen to music with my eyes closed, just enjoy the experience for a while, but the AC in my room is broken and there's no way I'm going to go there in this heat.

Which god am I supposed to pray to to get the AC working again?  :Gaah: Is there like a Handyman's Saint or something?  :scratch: I'd buy the candles and light them!

I don't know about handymen but you could try praying to the patron saint of mechanics, St. Francis of Isuzu.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz