News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Museum of the Bible

Started by SisterAgatha, November 21, 2017, 05:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SisterAgatha

I am pleased as punch that there is finally a museum of the bible opening in Washington D.C https://www.museumofthebible.org/

Its not every day you can appreciate cool history/artifacts and have your soul uplifted at the same time!

Would you atheists buy a ticket and go..if only to snicker and sneer at the honest, hardworking families who go there?

Also...since you all are SO smart..what is your favorite book of the bible? Mine is Job..

No one

Neither, just don't care. Believe and worship how you wish, just keep it out of my life.

Davin

Would I buy a ticket and go to a bible museum? Nope, sounds boring. Only if I was paid. A lot.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Biggus Dickus

If they have really detailed pictures of all of the violence and nudity you find in the bible I might go,...maybe.

My favorite book is Kings, as it's got some good erotica in it, like "Solomon's Song".

It's an eight-chapter poem, narrated by two lovers. She's dark, young, and foxy. He's strong, sexy, and seductive. The song is a duet actually, with the lovers alternating passages. She starts, and begins with a bang,... "Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth! For your love is better than wine".

Midway through the first chapter, the fellow jumps in to admire her good looks. They trade compliments of the sappy moon,..."Her cheeks are comely....He's a bag of myrrh ... between my breasts....Her eyes are doves."
She's very forward, our dusky beauty (Earlier she describes herself as, "dark and swarthy, but beautiful."). Her lover is an apple tree, "and his fruit was sweet to my taste."

Later she's in bed at night, but can't sleep, so she gets up and wanders the city, seeking him out.  She finds him, brings him back to her mom's house, and ... well, you'll have to imagine the rest. 8)

He comments on her beauty, "Your two breasts are like two fawns, twins of a gazelle"! (I think he means firm and muscular, jumpy)

He then calls her a "locked garden." So she takes up on this metaphor very enthusiastically!
"Awake, O north wind, and come, O south wind! Blow upon my garden that its fragrance may be wafted abroad. Let my beloved come to his garden, and eat its choicest fruits."
(She's like. Fuck me damnit, fuck me")

Then she describes as he,... "thrust his hand into the opening, and my inmost being yearned for him. I arose to open to my beloved, and my hands dripped with myrrh, my fingers with liquid myrrh, upon the handles of the bolt". (Fucking A!) 8)

It ends with, "Set me as a seal upon your heart."

I don't about you folks, but is it getting hot in here?

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Magdalena

Quote from: SisterAgatha on November 21, 2017, 05:21:25 PM
Would you atheists buy a ticket and go..if only to snicker and sneer at the honest, hardworking families who go there?
OK...That's it..."Sister!"

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

SisterAgatha

Quote from: Father Bruno on November 21, 2017, 06:12:55 PM
If they have really detailed pictures of all of the violence and nudity you find in the bible I might go,...maybe.

My favorite book is Kings, as it's got some good erotica in it, like "Solomon's Song".

It's an eight-chapter poem, narrated by two lovers. She's dark, young, and foxy. He's strong, sexy, and seductive. The song is a duet actually, with the lovers alternating passages. She starts, and begins with a bang,... "Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth! For your love is better than wine".

Midway through the first chapter, the fellow jumps in to admire her good looks. They trade compliments of the sappy moon,..."Her cheeks are comely....He's a bag of myrrh ... between my breasts....Her eyes are doves."
She's very forward, our dusky beauty (Earlier she describes herself as, "dark and swarthy, but beautiful."). Her lover is an apple tree, "and his fruit was sweet to my taste."

Later she's in bed at night, but can't sleep, so she gets up and wanders the city, seeking him out.  She finds him, brings him back to her mom's house, and ... well, you'll have to imagine the rest. 8)

He comments on her beauty, "Your two breasts are like two fawns, twins of a gazelle"! (I think he means firm and muscular, jumpy)

He then calls her a "locked garden." So she takes up on this metaphor very enthusiastically!
"Awake, O north wind, and come, O south wind! Blow upon my garden that its fragrance may be wafted abroad. Let my beloved come to his garden, and eat its choicest fruits."
(She's like. Fuck me damnit, fuck me")

Then she describes as he,... "thrust his hand into the opening, and my inmost being yearned for him. I arose to open to my beloved, and my hands dripped with myrrh, my fingers with liquid myrrh, upon the handles of the bolt". (Fucking A!) 8)

It ends with, "Set me as a seal upon your heart."

I don't about you folks, but is it getting hot in here?

Just so Bruno! It is a celebration of the soul's love for God..and the sacrament of marriage!

I like Job because it is so heart wrenching but inspirational. God allows everything Job has to be taken away from him, but still Job praises God and insists on doing the right thing.

I haven't always had it easy, and sometimes Ive had it downright hard. This book gives all sufferers hope that if they just stick with it.. they can achieve joy and happiness.

Also there are fascinating descriptions of nature...about frost,rivers, forests and tempests..very pretty in kind of a stark way.

Also...check out Leviathan and Behemoth! They are mythical monsters of the bible. Not saying they existed literally..just kind of a cool thing to find in a bible book!

Velma

I am pleased as punch that there is finally a museum of the bible opening in Washington D.C https://www.museumofthebible.org/

Its not every day you can appreciate cool history/artifacts and have your soul uplifted at the same time!

Also...since you all are SO smart..what is your favorite book of the bible? Mine is Job..
I've not really looked into it. However, you may want to do some research before getting all giddy about it. The person who opened it is an evangelical believer, so the exhibits are probably quite biased towards that interpretation of the Bible - an interpretation that is often very different from that of the Catholic church.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

xSilverPhinx

Why would I pay to snicker and sneer at Bible-thumpers? I could do that for free!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

OldGit

Suppose it's a miserable rainy day and there's nothing to do and nothing decent on the TV.  I'm on my own and bored out of my head.
No, I still wouldn't go and visit a bible museum. ::)

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Davin on November 21, 2017, 05:47:47 PM
Would I buy a ticket and go to a bible museum? Nope, sounds boring. Only if I was paid. A lot.

Just out of curiosity, how much?  I think I would go for $1,000 and ask for lunch to be included as well.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Father Bruno on November 21, 2017, 06:12:55 PM

I've wondered about that one, to my literal mind it suggested a pair of boobies grazing.  Just . . . weird.

I'm more of a NT girl, and have always been fond of the Sermon on the Mount. 

Quote from: Magdalena on November 21, 2017, 06:31:51 PM

:yes!:
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Magdalena

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on November 21, 2017, 11:07:29 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on November 21, 2017, 06:31:51 PM

:yes!:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Icarus

The  Greene family of Hobby Lobby fame is reported to have spent near 500 mil to erect and furnish that museum. It is located near some of the other notable museums in Washington DC. 

The Greene's got into a jam a while back for using shady methods for importing some of the artifacts from the holy land. I can not imagine the expenditure of that magnitude for what I think of as a religious shrine. It works for them. The report is that they have been pretty cool about staffing the place. They are said to have hired people to run the place ; theologists from more than one discipline including Hebrew and Morman. They say that they want everyone to read and learn from the bible....presumably the KJV or similar.

I would  pay a modest amount to explore their facility because they do have thousands of historical artifacts on display. This is not to be a place to offend ones senses such as Ken Hamm's place in the Kentucky sticks. 

My interest in the bible as a historical codex is not very strong.  If I must choose one of the books I will select Genesis because it is so easy to refute as an impossible set of far out myths. It would be humorous if not for the fact that so many people believe it to be true.  I could never get past the puzzle that God forbid partaking of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. My childish mind could not understand why God would not want his first people to understand the difference between good and evil.

Bad Penny II

As The Borderline Troll I appreciate a good bit of Trolling.
I didn't get too far reading the bible but I got to Job.
The godly man offering his daughter to a rape gang to save some stranger, nice.
God didn't seem to be disproving of homosexuality to me, just rape but perhaps I was giving him the benefit of the doubt.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Davin

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on November 21, 2017, 10:59:01 PM
Quote from: Davin on November 21, 2017, 05:47:47 PM

Just out of curiosity, how much?  I think I would go for $1,000 and ask for lunch to be included as well.
I'd go for two hours for $1000 and a free lunch. Less than that and things start going from blurry to no.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.