Someone says to you "happiness is overrated", what do you reply?

Started by xSilverPhinx, July 03, 2018, 02:49:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

I'm curious to know your thoughts on the subject. Do you think happiness is overrated? Could happiness be considered a goal in life?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

No one

How can feeling good be overrated?
I say, fuck off naysayer. Miserable twats deserve misery.

jumbojak

It's the only thing I really want. Don't have a clue how to get it but I know I want it.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Happiness is an attainment that you simply accept or realise, make it a target and it just becomes another ambition to struggle for.

(Might I presume that it has more to do with one's psychological disposition than one's physical condition or status?)

(Edited "achievement" to "attainment" which is what I meant.)
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bad Penny II

It's better to be happy then sad, generally, though sometimes sadness is appropriate.
Lows accentuate highs, maybe.
I don't like the plastic be happy, have a nice day shit.
I will be happy or not and a salespersons smarm won't change it.

This article in a local paper, it brings joy and sadness.
An 11 year old girl full of hope and passion, a joy to behold.
Then there's the time bomb world we've left her to diffuse.
Maybe happiness is about zooming in on the nice, not letting reality spoil the picture.
So might the pursuit of happiness kill us all?
It could well do Greeny.

https://issuu.com/portmacquarieindependent3/docs/your_local_independent_28th_june_20
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dave

There was an item on the radio about a Canadian lottery winner who chose $C1000/week instead of a lump million. She had made herself abpromise that she would use any winnings to help others - and did exactly that. She is personally poorer than before but, she says, much happier.

They said on the program that, in general, big winners are rarely happy just having the capital, the happiest ones do something good with it.

Later: Hmm, the concept of "vicarious happiness" came into my mind. Even I sometines feel happy-weepy when I hear of others achieving a dream, especially through their own efforts against dire odds. But also through the efforts of "facillitators". I have seen people who have suffered in their lives express this form of happiness when others achieve their goals. Perhaps happiness with a tinge of honest jealousy?

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Dave on July 04, 2018, 01:25:43 PM
There was an item on the radio about a Canadian lottery winner who chose $C1000/week instead of a lump million. She had made herself abpromise that she would use any winnings to help others - and did exactly that. She is personally poorer than before but, she says, much happier.

They said on the program that, in general, big winners are rarely happy just having the capital, the happiest ones do something good with it.

For how long will she receive $1000 a week?
PV of an annuity
https://www.accountingtools.com/articles/2017/5/16/present-value-of-an-ordinary-annuity-table
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Ecurb Noselrub

It CAN be overrated, or valued so highly that it cannot be attained. Better to have modest expectations about such things - then you avoid disappointment.

Recusant

"'Happiness is overrated' -- what do you reply?"

-- Compared to what?
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Quote from: Bad Penny II on July 04, 2018, 01:35:46 PM
Quote from: Dave on July 04, 2018, 01:25:43 PM

For how long will she receive $1000 a week?
PV of an annuity
https://www.accountingtools.com/articles/2017/5/16/present-value-of-an-ordinary-annuity-table

The rest of her life - yeah, the value decreases even if the number stays the same.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 03, 2018, 02:49:30 AM
I'm curious to know your thoughts on the subject. Do you think happiness is overrated? Could happiness be considered a goal in life?

I can't think of a reply to that, it seems like a crazy thing to say.  I think happiness is one of life's essentials, like work and love.  I do think some peoples ideas about how to get happiness are a little odd, but if that works for them, why not?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Bluenose

My granddaughter knows all about happiness (click on link to view):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mfFsyKWMDCY4huO7FYJ4AWinve8mnZsB/view?usp=sharing
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Sandra Craft

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Sandra Craft on August 17, 2018, 07:52:25 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 03, 2018, 02:49:30 AM

I can't think of a reply to that, it seems like a crazy thing to say.  I think happiness is one of life's essentials, like work and love.  I do think some peoples ideas about how to get happiness are a little odd, but if that works for them, why not?

It does, doesn't it? I posted the question after hearing it from the mouth of an armchair philosopher wannabe who doesn't offer anything much other than just naysaying others because it seems like the 'intellectual' thing to do. While he didn't offer any convincing reasons I was curious if the question of happiness is as important to other people as it is to me.   

xSilverPhinx