News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

According to Dredge: Abiogenesis is Magic

Started by Dredge, December 30, 2016, 05:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Dredge is showing typical creationist technique -  misinterpret, misrepresent, divert, create confusing or spurious arguments . . .

There is a hand-book of such techniques available IIRC, another offers selected partial/mis-quotes from non-creationist scientists to "prove" they had doubts.

Quite surprised be is not mis-quote-mining himself.

And, have not noticed your answer to my question yet, Dredge: how do you define "science"?

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Asmodean

Quote from: Dredge on January 19, 2017, 07:47:11 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 18, 2017, 03:32:54 PMUm...I don't mean to bust your creationist bubble, but speciation events have been observed.
Such as?
Are you seriously trying to engage us in a debate on the validity of speciation without at least the superficial knowledge of that?

I am not a biologist or a botanist, but I do have a hobby of reading scientific literature. You know, the kind with big words in it? Words like... Well, let us start with D. Melanogaster.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 18, 2017, 03:30:21 PM
Quote from: Dredge on January 18, 2017, 04:27:40 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 12, 2017, 01:48:25 AM
Yes, it seems that not only do they have a shallow understanding of science, they take it all for granted.
Aren't there creationists with very impressive qualifications in science; as in doctorates and professorships?  If so, in what way is their understanding of science shallow?

Like who?

Dredge, answer this please. I'm curious to know what type of scientist you see as an authority on the subject. And their credentials.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 18, 2017, 03:32:54 PMUm...I don't mean to bust your creationist bubble, but speciation events have been observed.
Such as?

You could start with this:

Speciation events

It's an easy to read Scientific American blog. I could give you research papers but I don't think you're ready for those.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny II on January 19, 2017, 01:10:41 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 18, 2017, 03:32:54 PM
Quote from: Dredge on January 18, 2017, 04:10:04 AM

For example, the much-celebrated "fact" that one species evolved from another species has no practical use whatsoever.  Perfect uselessness is exactly what one would expect from a theory that is false.

Um...I don't mean to bust your creationist bubble, but speciation events have been observed.

Oh come on, you may call it irony but I call it disingenuousnousness.
You know you want to squish, we all know you want to squish.
You wont get over your compulsion until you're are open about it.

I will refer you to an older post of mine. :grin:

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 19, 2017, 10:25:24 AM
Such as?

You could start with this:

Speciation events

It's an easy to read Scientific American blog. I could give you research papers but I don't think you're ready for those.
And...
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/speciationmodes_05
which indicates that things like food preference can cause a single species to divert into two through genetic seperation. If insects are attracted to mates by smell and that smell has any component that is dependent on food type . . .
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bad Penny II

Those creationists are weird.
The Pope is OK with Darwin
It's over, Anakin! I have the high ground!
You underestimate my power!
Black Knight:  'Tis but a scratch.
Arthur:  A scratch?  Your arm's off!
Black Knight:  No, it isn't.
Arthur:  Well, what's that then?
Black Knight:  I've had worse.
I scorn life forming from primal soup,
It's so ridiculous don't make me laugh.
Before anything else there was an All
A most majestic inconceivably complex
Where'd He spring from? He always was.
I'm making a list, categorising scientists
Layabouts that just thought but didn't do
And those that did, made useful stuff
microwave ovens and smart phones
Newton, Darwin, Einstein, stand over there
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Davin

Avoids challenges: ✔
Low effort: ✔
Moves goal posts: ✔
Evades questions: ✔

Looks like a troll to me.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Bad Penny II

Dredge could be Scissorlegs,
giving us a reason to be.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Recusant

Quote from: Davin on January 19, 2017, 02:42:46 PM

An example of Poe's Law in action. Do you think that a sincere Creationist who behaves as you've described (and plenty of them do) can accurately be described as a troll?

Anyway, Dredge has two active warnings on his account. I can't calculate the odds, but chances are that he'll get some time off to try to come up with better material.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Davin

Quote from: Recusant on January 19, 2017, 03:14:47 PM
Quote from: Davin on January 19, 2017, 02:42:46 PM

An example of Poe's Law in action. Do you think that a sincere Creationist who behaves as you've described (and plenty of them do) can accurately be described as a troll?
Yes. Sincere or not, avoiding questions and challenges, putting in low effort responses to well thought out ones, moving goal posts, and other troll related behaviors is a person trolling. As far as whether they actually believe in what they say or not, we may never know for sure, but what we do know is how they behave.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

solidsquid

I began typing a lengthy response to some claims and had appropriate references and so forth.  However, it would simply be a waste of my time as it is obvious Dredge is not here to consider and discuss evidence for or against anything - only to ridicule any opposing viewpoints and tell us how scientifically illiterate we are.

Recusant

Quote from: solidsquid on January 19, 2017, 03:56:56 PM
I began typing a lengthy response to some claims and had appropriate references and so forth.  However, it would simply be a waste of my time as it is obvious Dredge is not here to consider and discuss evidence for or against anything - only to ridicule any opposing viewpoints and tell us how scientifically illiterate we are.

Dredge wouldn't be the only one reading your response though! I've missed your great informative posts here, solidsquid; I remember learning plenty from reading your contributions to this site. If you have the time and inclination, please don't hesitate to limber up your sledgehammer of knowledge and bap triflers like Dredge upside the head.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Davin

Quote from: Recusant on January 19, 2017, 04:14:29 PM

Dredge wouldn't be the only one reading your response though! I've missed your great informative posts here, solidsquid; I remember learning plenty from reading your contributions to this site. If you have the time and inclination, please don't hesitate to limber up your sledgehammer of knowledge and bap triflers like Dredge upside the head.
I agree. There is almost always something for me to learn from well thought out responses.

solidsquid

Quote from: Recusant on January 19, 2017, 04:14:29 PM

Good point, didn't think about it that way.  I may do that if I find some time soon. I'm at a conference for the next few days (just started today) so I have some downtime here and there but not a lot.