According to Dredge: Abiogenesis is Magic

Started by Dredge, December 30, 2016, 05:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dredge

Quote from: Magdalena on January 11, 2017, 04:31:12 PM
Quote from: Recusant on January 11, 2017, 03:33:36 PM
Quote from: Davin on January 11, 2017, 03:14:56 PM
How about that?

The image link seems to be working now. At least it is for me.

Yes, it's working now. Thank you.  :)
Not very impressive, is it?  :chin:
It's very important that Dredge sees this evidence and follows it to see where it leads.

I wonder why the statistics didn't include Jesus watching people while they take a bath.  :headscratch:

This is not an image of Jesus, as it looks nothing like the face on the Shroud of Turin.   No, this is St. Peter.  I recognise him from that movie, The Passion of the Christ.
Follow the evidence wherever it leads.

Dredge

Follow the evidence wherever it leads.

Pasta Chick

Quote from: Dredge on January 11, 2017, 11:36:34 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on January 11, 2017, 08:09:38 AM
As for "dark matter"? The jury is still out but I have every confidence that the answer will fit into the natural laws of the universe and be describable in mathematics. One might say that it has already been so described in its effects if not in its nature.
The jury used to think that the earth was flat - thems were rong.  The jury now thinks rocks turned into life and that evolved into all life - thems be rong again, I suspecto.  Scientists make up stories and think dem be good and truey.  Thems be often rong and not at all weight.

No one of any credibility ever really believed the Earth was flat. Eratosthenes was running calculations back in 300BC or so.

But that's a red herring regardless. The entire point of science is that it advances as we acquire knowledge.

You also cannot simultaneously argue that science is wrong because it thinks its infallible and that science is wrong because sometimes it changes.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Pasta Chick on January 12, 2017, 12:13:58 AM
You also cannot simultaneously argue that science is wrong because it thinks its infallible and that science is wrong because sometimes it changes.

:this:

Quote from: Dredge on January 11, 2017, 11:36:34 PM
The jury used to think that the earth was flat - thems were rong.  The jury now thinks rocks turned into life and that evolved into all life - thems be rong again, I suspecto.  Scientists make up stories and think dem be good and truey.  Thems be often rong and not at all weight.

So you would rather believe what ancient goat-herders had to say? 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Pasta Chick

New plan: science deniers back away from all computers, cars, modern homes, etc and go sit in the woods banging rocks together.

Recusant

Quote from: Dredge on January 11, 2017, 11:19:41 PM
Quote from: Recusant on January 09, 2017, 02:54:42 AM
Can you provide an example of specious evidence?
Yes.  Miller/Urey-type experiments.

Any evidence based on the composition of the earth's "chemical soup" of billions of years ago - since no one can possibly know what it was.

The Miller-Urey experiments were valid according to the knowledge of the time. They showed that amino acids formed from basic atmospheric chemical components in the presence of electrical sparks. Science has moved on in the intervening 60 plus years, but the evidence provided by Miller and Urey is not "specious." They were testing a hypothesis, and their hypothesis was borne out. It turns out that the components they chose for simulating a pre-biotic atmosphere were likely incorrect. Most importantly however, the results of an experiment that took place over half a century ago have little to do with current hypotheses of abiogenesis, so Miller-Urey is pretty much irrelevant here.

Your assertion that "no one can possibly know" what the pre-biotic atmosphere of the Earth was like shows that you haven't bothered to explore and examine what current science has to say on the topic, including the means that are available to do that which you believe is impossible.

QuoteScientists in the New York Center for Astrobiology at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute have used the oldest minerals on Earth to reconstruct the atmospheric conditions present on Earth very soon after its birth. The findings, which appear in the Dec. 1 [2011] edition of the journal Nature, are the first direct evidence of what the ancient atmosphere of the planet was like soon after its formation and directly challenge years of research on the type of atmosphere out of which life arose on the planet.

[source]

Quote from: Dredge on January 11, 2017, 11:19:41 PMComputer models.

Computer models are not "specious evidence," they're a means of experimentation. The validity of evidence that they provide depends on how closely they conform to the conditions they're intended to replicate. You denigrate them without providing a single example showing why you consider them to be specious. Until you do so, even if we ignore your confusion between experiment and evidence, your assertion is worthless.

Quote from: Recusant on January 09, 2017, 02:54:42 AMIt's clear that life was not poofed into existence in the form we see around us today. The fossil record going back literally billions of years is irrefutable evidence of this. Therefore it is perfectly reasonable to think that the earliest forms of life were not the same as contemporary forms. There is no dumbing down involved.
What a pity there is not a shred of evidence that suggests that self-replicating life can be anything be ridiculously complex.  But I completely understand the athesist's deperate need to believe in the possibilities that have no basis in fact.

It appears you haven't bothered to follow and explore any of the links that I've provided. As a result, rather than critically addressing the information that they provide, you're arguing from a position of willful ignorance.

Quote from: Recusant on January 09, 2017, 02:54:42 AMContrary to your sneering and inaccurate assertion, scientists are testing hypotheses of abiogenesis as we speak ...
Sneering?  Now that hurts. 
Let me know when they come up with an organism that can reproduce.  Any result less than that is just deluded space cadets talking.

I see that you're moving the goalposts so you can engage in some more sneering. This approach doesn't speak well for your intellectual honesty, Dredge.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Pasta Chick on January 12, 2017, 12:38:53 AM
New plan: science deniers back away from all computers, cars, modern homes, etc and go sit in the woods banging rocks together.

As long as they're far away I don't care if they want to dance around a primitive camp fire singing some religious hymn and blurting out "amen" every two seconds.  :nu-uh:

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dredge on January 11, 2017, 11:49:06 PM
How about that?
I don't like this moving scorpion thing.  It scares me.

It seems you find science scary as well. ;)

Pasta Chick

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 12, 2017, 01:11:40 AM
Quote from: Pasta Chick on January 12, 2017, 12:38:53 AM

As long as they're far away I don't care if they want to dance around a primitive camp fire singing some religious hymn and blurting out "amen" every two seconds.  :nu-uh:

I'm just really tired of them benefitting from all of it while using it to try to tear it down. It's mind boggling.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Pasta Chick on January 12, 2017, 01:23:24 AM
I'm just really tired of them benefitting from all of it while using it to try to tear it down. It's mind boggling.

Yes, it seems that not only do they have a shallow understanding of science, they take it all for granted.

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Magdalena

Quote from: No one on January 11, 2017, 10:11:58 PM
No one:
Are we posting selfies?

Mags:
Maybe.
We showed you ours, now you show us yours.
:grin:

No one, remember, I'm a bit of a hippie, so I'll use hippie terminology here. I sense a little bit of dark energy around you, and yet you manage to smile. I like that.  ;D

If, in my realm, that's what dark energy looks like, I can only imagine what God looks like to Dredge.
His words: "Wouldn't it be funny if dark energy turns out to be God energy."

Why would anyone want to worship dark energy!?

Edit:
*My last statement is not directed to any Asmodean worshipers.  :shifty:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Quote from: Dredge on January 11, 2017, 11:27:32 PM
Quote from: No one on January 10, 2017, 10:57:29 PM
Where do you get your drugs?
I make my own LSD.

OK., I don't know you at all, Dredge, but I have a feeling that you're being sarcastic and that means that you might have a slight sense of humor, which is good.  ;D

Knowing that you don't believe what scientists say, makes me wonder if you do know how to make your own drugs...the correct way...that is. I don't think drug makers pray that all that shit that they just mixed together don't suddenly explode.  :-\

If you're making LSD based on faith, and you're smoking it, then I think this might explain a few things.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Quote from: Dredge on January 11, 2017, 11:44:08 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on January 11, 2017, 04:31:12 PM
Quote from: Recusant on January 11, 2017, 03:33:36 PM
How about that?

The image link seems to be working now. At least it is for me.

Yes, it's working now. Thank you.  :)
Not very impressive, is it?  :chin:
It's very important that Dredge sees this evidence and follows it to see where it leads.

I wonder why the statistics didn't include Jesus watching people while they take a bath.  :headscratch:

This is not an image of Jesus, as it looks nothing like the face on the Shroud of Turin.   No, this is St. Peter.  I recognise him from that movie, The Passion of the Christ.

Didn't the church have to rely on three radiocarbon dating tests, or some dumb scientific shit like that, to determine how old that thing was?

Wait, you recognize him from that movie, The Passion of the Christ? Aren't those movie projector thingies scientific shit and stuff too?

Where do you draw the line, Dredge? You use the scientific advances when they are beneficial, but the minute it reminds you of the decline of  "god's power" over time, you bitch about it in an atheist forum? Why?

Is this what all this is about?

And what does this mean!? "I am a Roman Catholic who is fascinated by atheism"

Arturo

Quote from: Magdalena on January 12, 2017, 04:47:22 AM
If, in my realm, that's what dark energy looks like, I can only imagine what God looks like to Dredge.
His words: "Wouldn't it be funny if dark energy turns out to be God energy."

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱