News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

According to Dredge: Abiogenesis is Magic

Started by Dredge, December 30, 2016, 05:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Quote from: Apathy on January 11, 2017, 06:09:28 PM
I could be the craziest mofo here if I go off meds. Of course you would probably regret it when you see you've created a monster.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Arturo

Being crazy is kind of like this
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

And everyone around you is kind of like this
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Davin

I think that being crazy is unnoticeable and completely normal to me until someone else mentions something.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Quote from: Davin on January 11, 2017, 07:58:03 PM
I think that being crazy is unnoticeable and completely normal to me until someone else mentions something.
So crazy is in the mind of the beholder?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Davin

Probably more like, crazy is in the general opinion of consensus, and while some things are clearly crazy, there are a lot of places where it gets fuzzy.

Arturo

I think what strikes me as crazy is when someone is having a conversation with themselves in public settings like a doctor's office. Or if they take 15 short steps forward, then jump twice, then repeat. That last one is the kind of behavior that is normal for kids I might think, but not for adults.

I've met a girl, very pretty btw, who would say things that have no prior context, but still somehow related to the conversation. She would also be afraid of people walking behind her. Another thing she did was whisper a name to herself once while walking behind me and another friend. Now some people saw her as a manipulator, but that can be a symptom of some mental illnesses while not being a mental illness itself. Using sexuality to get what you want can also be a symptom of mental illness.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

No one

No one:
Are we posting selfies?

Mags:
Maybe.
We showed you ours, now you show us yours.
:grin:

Dredge

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 09, 2017, 02:20:31 AM
Quote from: Dredge on January 08, 2017, 10:31:44 PM
Abiogenesis is a never-ending story of baseless assumptions and untestable theories - a dreamer's paradise, in other words.

So it's arm wrestling with the Bible then?   :popcorn:
No, not really.  The Bible doesn't claim to be science.
Follow the evidence wherever it leads.

Firebird

Quote from: Dredge on January 11, 2017, 11:01:14 PM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 09, 2017, 02:20:31 AM
Quote from: Dredge on January 08, 2017, 10:31:44 PM
Abiogenesis is a never-ending story of baseless assumptions and untestable theories - a dreamer's paradise, in other words.

So it's arm wrestling with the Bible then?   :popcorn:
No, not really.  The Bible doesn't claim to be science.

What does it claim to be then, in your mind?
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Dredge

Quote from: Recusant on January 09, 2017, 02:54:42 AM
You appear to be confusing scientific theories with scientific hypotheses.
Thank you.
QuoteCan you provide an example of specious evidence?
Yes.  Miller/Urey-type experiments.

Any evidence based on the composition of the earth's "chemical soup" of billions of years ago - since no one can possibly know what it was.

Computer models.

QuoteIt's clear that life was not poofed into existence in the form we see around us today. The fossil record going back literally billions of years is irrefutable evidence of this. Therefore it is perfectly reasonable to think that the earliest forms of life were not the same as contemporary forms. There is no dumbing down involved.
What a pity there is not a shred of evidence that suggests that self-replicating life can be anything be ridiculously complex.  But I completely understand the athesist's deperate need to believe in the possibilities that have no basis in fact.

QuoteContrary to your sneering and inaccurate assertion, scientists are testing hypotheses of abiogenesis as we speak ...
Sneering?  Now that hurts. 
Let me know when they come up with an organism that can reproduce.  Any result less than that is just deluded space cadets talking. 

Dredge

Quote from: Firebird on January 11, 2017, 03:01:40 AM
Quote from: Dredge on January 10, 2017, 10:26:41 PM
Could human perception and science be limited and inadequate to explain reality?

Maybe, but maybe not. And if it is, monotheists like yourself don't have any more fucking clue what is real than atheists do. We're just not afraid to admit it.
I am willing to admit that my faith could be no more than a delusion.  But I don't think so.

Dredge

Dredge

Quote from: Gloucester on January 11, 2017, 08:09:38 AM
As for "dark matter"? The jury is still out but I have every confidence that the answer will fit into the natural laws of the universe and be describable in mathematics. One might say that it has already been so described in its effects if not in its nature.
The jury used to think that the earth was flat - thems were rong.  The jury now thinks rocks turned into life and that evolved into all life - thems be rong again, I suspecto.  Scientists make up stories and think dem be good and truey.  Thems be often rong and not at all weight.