News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Velma

Quote from: Dave on September 16, 2018, 07:00:36 AM
Nice stuff, Velma. I am especially envious of your night-light! But is it flat or half or full globe? Seems to cast a shadow.
I think that is the way it was made. It is rather inexpensive, so there is only on main light source inside. It is not even a half globe. It is less than three inches thick at the center. I asked for it on a whim as a Christmas gift. It works quite as a night light. It has a remote so I can turn it on as needed. It hangs above the night stand.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Velma

Quote from: jumbojak on September 16, 2018, 04:38:06 AM
The furniture looks good Velma. You need a few more outlets though.
The house is as old as I am. Houses were not built with as many outlets back then. 

The Dr Who bedding was a birthday gift from my husband. It was a very nice surprise.  :D
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Dave

Quote from: Velma on September 16, 2018, 10:27:56 AM
Quote from: Dave on September 16, 2018, 07:00:36 AM
Nice stuff, Velma. I am especially envious of your night-light! But is it flat or half or full globe? Seems to cast a shadow.
I think that is the way it was made. It is rather inexpensive, so there is only on main light source inside. It is not even a half globe. It is less than three inches thick at the center. I asked for it on a whim as a Christmas gift. It works quite as a night light. It has a remote so I can turn it on as needed. It hangs above the night stand.

Found some smallish rechageable, dimmable LED full globe jobs on Amazon, one resting in a ceramic hand - might drop a hint or two since the anniversary of my entry into the world is pending.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave

I am having a sit down after turning the mattress over and end-to-end on my own!

Not such a bad job as it seems, lifting the mattress onto its edge on the solid bed platform, sort of slide foot end to poke half off one end, swing it round to poke old head end off the side, then swing old foot end round to become new head end. 

Then the non-physical hard bit, remembering which side was "up" when I started. (The label was a clue.)

Now my heart beat is back down to normal and the bit of shortness of breath has gone I think I will make a cuppa and finish making tbe bed later!

Just feels good that I can still do that sort of job - and it needed doing!

jumbojak

The last time I flipped a mattress I ended up very dissapointed when I realized it was a one sided mattress. Very foolish way to cut costs.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on September 16, 2018, 01:01:35 PM
The last time I flipped a mattress I ended up very dissapointed when I realized it was a one sided mattress. Very foolish way to cut costs.

Oh, dear . . .

There was a small bonus to my flipping. Under the mattress is a storage area, I just about cleared it out 20 years ago - too much effort lifting the mattress to get to it. But, there were too steel wire bike mudgard stays that might come in handy (since wire coat hangers are things of the past.)

But, there was also a tool that I made about 40 years ago, when on a sheet metalworking and fabrication welding course. There was a heavy duty powered hacksaw that had blades about 2mm thick, and a blade broke. I needed a very narrow cold chisel to clean weld spatter out a 3mm wide gap. 5 minutes on the grindstone and I had me that chisel! Saved me "re-dedicating" a half-inch one for one job.

jumbojak

I'd like to see that chisel. I have an old caulking iron that comes in handy for things like that. Reground to a single bevel the offset works nicely.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on September 16, 2018, 02:28:37 PM
I'd like to see that chisel. I have an old caulking iron that comes in handy for things like that. Reground to a single bevel the offset works nicely.

Check on workshop thread, JJ.

hermes2015

Is that what they call a Möbius mattress?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on September 16, 2018, 04:27:54 PM

Is that what they call a Möbius mattress?

:lol:

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Velma on September 16, 2018, 03:02:14 AM
These were taken with my cell phone since I could not find the charging cable for my real camera.

Nightstand. The things hanging from the knob are two small Bluetooth speakers. The stack of things on the right hand corner is two magazines, two ereaders, and a tablet.

Dresser. I was holding the phone crooked. I'm surprised I can still stand up after a night of almost no sleep, then all the physical labor I did today. Yes, those are all jewelry boxes.

Chest of drawers. Yes, that is a Tardis Bluetooth speaker up there. :D

The bed. It also has two large storage drawers in the footboard, but I could not get a good picture of them.

The next two items are things I put on the wall today. The first is large nightlight that you can turn off/on with a remote. It is about the size of a dinner plate. The other item is a slight twist on a classic clock. My Kit-Cat Clock has pearls instead of a bow tie.

Nice! I love walnut!

Dave

Qualified cheerfulness:

QuoteGlasgow Art School's Mackintosh building 'will be rebuilt'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-45540082

The sadness of the loss of the original Mackintosh artwork still remains.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Love the new furniture, Velma, and I have a special fondness for the Kit Kat clock.  I remember when those were first all the rage!
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Velma

Quote from: Sandra Craft on September 17, 2018, 03:28:05 AM
Love the new furniture, Velma, and I have a special fondness for the Kit Kat clock.  I remember when those were first all the rage!
Thanks, Sandra. The clock is one of those things I'd wanted for years, but never got around to buying for myself. After seeing one online, I asked for it for my birthday. I had to go with the one that had pearls instead of a bow tie. :D Finally, after years and years, I have a matching bedroom suite. I am very happy all around!