News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Discussão em português

Started by Tank, May 06, 2019, 01:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

Going through some of the grammar book tonight I'm beginning to realize how shaky my grasp of language is in general. I can speak and write intelligently - some of the time - but I haven't really known what I was doing.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on May 11, 2019, 04:20:31 AM
Going through some of the grammar book tonight I'm beginning to realize how shaky my grasp of language is in general. I can speak and write intelligently - some of the time - but I haven't really known what I was doing.

100% agree!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on May 11, 2019, 04:20:31 AM

Me too! Though I dislike studying grammar for any language, and generally learn without picking up a grammar book. Don't ask me why something is the way it is, I just know it is that way, in most cases. :lol:

Not to mention, there are all the 'nonstandard' variations being spoken and written everywhere that can really confuse you if you're looking to learn 'proper' grammar. Those variations aren't wrong, though. Just different.

I'm not saying that grammar is useless, if there weren't any standardised rules then languages probably wouldn't have any brakes and diverge until you wouldn't understand what someone from across your own country was saying.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

I've moved past the basic phrases in Duolingo and am onto food and animals. The proverbial loaves and fishes - pao e peixo.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on May 11, 2019, 03:39:42 PM
I've moved past the basic phrases in Duolingo and am onto food and animals. The proverbial loaves and fishes - pao e peixo.

Legal (cool) :grin:

You mean peixe?  ;)

jumbojak

xSilverPhinx

Thought so. :P

I think I'll try duolingo out. I'm curious to see how it works.

jumbojak

It's an interesting concept. Instead of learning lists of words and rules for pronunciation the focus is on associating words with images and hearing them spoken. You pick up patterns based on the short lessons.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on May 11, 2019, 08:30:25 PM
It's an interesting concept. Instead of learning lists of words and rules for pronunciation the focus is on associating words with images and hearing them spoken. You pick up patterns based on the short lessons.

Looks like it's gamified as well. Interesting.

hermes2015

Is this what they refer to as acquiring a language, as opposed to learning it?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 11, 2019, 11:01:58 PM

Is this what they refer to as acquiring a language, as opposed to learning it?

I have no idea. For me learning is acquiring memories, so I see no distinction.

:notsure:

But I don't know. What do you guys think?

jumbojak

Does it really matter? Language is one means of communication, so I don't think it makes much difference how you gain the skill. Someone who is immersed in an alien culture and figures out how to speak and listen to be understood effectively might be different from someone with technical knowledge of a language, but the result is the same. Well, basically the same.

If I only aquire Portuguese as a language instead of learning the intricacies I can still do what I want to do. Writing epic poetry might be beyond my grasp but I might be able to string together little haiku when I'm bored or in a playful mood.

jumbojak

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 11, 2019, 10:05:02 PM

Oh yes, I've recently unlocked some bonus content for the pittance of thirty precious lingots. The question is, do I learn to flirt or pick up some Portuguese wisdom in the form of proverbs and idioms?

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on May 12, 2019, 02:16:02 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 11, 2019, 10:05:02 PM

Oh yes, I've recently unlocked some bonus content for the pittance of thirty precious lingots. The question is, do I learn to flirt or pick up some Portuguese wisdom in the form of proverbs and idioms?

Looks like Duolingo's got you covered as far as pick up lines are concerned:

Though a little brega (corny, tacky), heh.  ;D

As for proverbs and idioms, I don't know. A lot of them have equivalents in English even though they may not be literal translations. One proverb I particularly like is:

Faça como eu digo e não como eu faço.

(Translation: Do as I say, not as I do.)

:sidesmile: :grin:

jumbojak

I think I'll go for the proverbs. If I can't pull of a corny pickup line in English I damn sure won't get it right in Portuguese!