News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

US textbooks aren't the only ones that spew crap every now and then

Started by xSilverPhinx, October 30, 2015, 02:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

This one is unrelated to religion and creationism. The teaching of creationism in science classes has been banned since 2008, and thankfully too. 

Still plenty of weirdness cropping up though, such as this, which will be in textbooks to be distributed in public schools next year:

Translation:

Colombia has a privileged location because it is bathed by the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, which facilitates the flow of illicit  (in most countries) products, such as cocaine.
Another issue are the FARC, who fight for a more just society and without such huge social inequalities. The FARC control large areas within the country, but are often attacked by the Colombian army, which has full support of the US government in the fight against drug trafficking and FARC "terrorism".

:watching:

I think I might walk around with a permanent facepalm mark. :doh:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 30, 2015, 02:11:49 PM
Translation:
Another issue are the FARC, who fight for a more just society and without such huge social inequalities. The FARC control large areas within the country, but are often attacked by the Colombian army, which has full support of the US government in the fight against drug trafficking and FARC "terrorism".
:twitch:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ecurb Noselrub

FARC is an aesthetically unpleasant sounding acronym. They must be evil.   

Firebird

This is a textbook in Brazil? (I'm assuming so based on the Portuguese ). Why would there be sympathy for FARC there? I'm clearly missing some political context.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Firebird on October 31, 2015, 05:01:04 PM
This is a textbook in Brazil? (I'm assuming so based on the Portuguese ).

Yep. 

QuoteWhy would there be sympathy for FARC there? I'm clearly missing some political context.

As far as I know, the huge majority of non alienated people do not sympathise with the FARC. It's attempted ideological indoctrination.

Firebird

"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

xSilverPhinx