News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Multi-Association Thread

Started by Kekerusey, August 25, 2016, 10:42:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Icarus

Gear heads like me can get off on such beautiful mechanisms.  When I was in the military,I was a fire control technician.  No, not about putting out fires but for aiming big guns for which to hit the moving enemy.  The "computers" were a pile of gears and cams and levers that did a primitive but pretty good job of telling me and my peers where to aim the gun.

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on October 15, 2019, 01:15:37 AM
Gear heads like me can get off on such beautiful mechanisms.  When I was in the military,I was a fire control technician.  No, not about putting out fires but for aiming big guns for which to hit the moving enemy.  The "computers" were a pile of gears and cams and levers that did a primitive but pretty good job of telling me and my peers where to aim the gun.

Which ships did you serve on?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

None that you'd recognize.  I was a Coast Guardsman and our boats were small by comparison to real warships.  I actually spent more time ashore at a Coast Guard  training school where I was a classroom teacher.  I taught basic electricity and basic mathematics. 

I was also in charge of a facility called "the Gun Deck".  It was a building that had all sorts of  guns and other implements of destruction.  The guns were never fired but they were routinely taken apart and re-assembled.  It was a training facility after all.  We had one of the many geared "computers" that we practiced with, but never took it apart.  It was actually a beautiful bit of machinery.

Every ones favorite gun was the Quad 40.  Four reciprocating barrels with 40 millimeter bore.  Mainly intended for anti aircraft use. Also effective as an anti drug smuggler weapon.  We had a three inch 50. That was a beast.  It fired 3 inch diameter projectiles. Not many of our ships were big enough to accomodate such a wicked beast but a few of the larger boats/ships were so equipped.

We also had some deck mounted anti submarine ordnance that were called Hedge hogs.  The weapon consisted of  powder projected missiles that were about one meter long and installed on the deck by way of some direction adjustable steel pegs onto which the hedge hog was mounted.  There were typically about ten or twelve of them and they could be fired sequentially so to lay down a blanket of undersea explosions. 

We also had some mines and torpedos of various types.  The demolition instructor had students practice "disarming" them.  Of course they were not loaded.  Every once in a while the instructor would booby trap one of the mines to be disarmed.  When the student made a small mistake a blank pistol cartridge exploded and everyone then needed to change their underwear.   The instructor had a favorite bit of advice that his booby traps reinforced. The saying was something to the effect that: Any repetitive work, no matter how dangerous, leads to familiarity.  Familiarity too often leads to carelessness and a fatal result.

Nostalgia!

Bad Penny II

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Recusant

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Icarus

Dark Lightning

When I taught physics, one of my favorite demonstrations was to put a really strong magnet inside a copper pipe after putting in a marble. the transit time was markedly different between the marble and the magnet due to the counter-electromagnetic force generated by the currents of the magnet descending in the pipe. The marble took a fraction of a second, and a properly selected magnet could take upwards of a minute to transit the same length. That spinning thing appears to be held between two magnets, so that it is going to be floating between them. Think maglev train- it's going to float, just like that object between those magnets appears to be doing.

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on November 09, 2019, 03:14:19 AM
When I taught physics, one of my favorite demonstrations was to put a really strong magnet inside a copper pipe after putting in a marble. the transit time was markedly different between the marble and the magnet due to the counter-electromagnetic force generated by the currents of the magnet descending in the pipe. The marble took a fraction of a second, and a properly selected magnet could take upwards of a minute to transit the same length. That spinning thing appears to be held between two magnets, so that it is going to be floating between them. Think maglev train- it's going to float, just like that object between those magnets appears to be doing.

It's 2 small ball bearings. Look up Fidget Spinner.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Tank on November 09, 2019, 11:40:57 AM

Oh.  :-[

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on November 09, 2019, 03:00:51 PM
Quote from: Tank on November 09, 2019, 11:40:57 AM

Oh.  :-[

They would work much better with superconducting magnets!!!