News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

arab-israeli conflict

Started by Asmodean Prime, July 26, 2006, 01:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Mac

Quote from: "iplaw"What part of annexation by Egypt and Syria didn't you understand, Israel wasn't involved until Palestine, Syria, Iraq and other arab nations attacked them.  It's like Mexico bitching about losing Texas.  I don't see us giving back Mexico any time soon.  That's the price you pay when you lose a war, you lose your land.

No, Mexico lost Texas because a bunch of white people came over and decided they didn't like playing by Mexico's rules so they led a rebellion. So it was actually Americans who are to blame for that one also. They wanted their Manifest Destinty fulfilled.

Oh keep on ignoring me, that's what a real intellectual does, right?
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Asmodean Prime

very interesting discussion.  I agree with everyone of you on SOME points, and disagree on others, unfortunately, I'm not adept at this forum thing enough to include quotes from several different people.  I tried.

As regards why God would choose this 'dirty little nation' Israel, or whatever the post said, the whole point I think is that, as God said, He chooses the WEAK things to confound the strong, the foolish things to confound the wise.

And you who think America is the only superpower...Granted... but don't you think you can be humbled?  Many a 'mad world ruler' has had the same thoughts - I'm invincible ...(cue evil laughter. .  HA HA HA HA HA)

TOM62.....yes, the Arab nations could have given some land to israel.  And there ARE too many radicals who don't want peace.  I'm not in favour of war at any time, it's just that I accept the inevitable - that Israel WILL be victorious eventually in this battle for their place on earth (their original, God-given land)

God also says that He 'sets up rulers, and casts them down again'

I think 'men' are too smug, arrogant and self-important to realise this.  Todays superpower is tomorrows pile of rubble.  History itself teaches us this.

Who reads history?

Asmodean Prime

Or do you think America is invincible?  Maybe you think it will reign for a thousand years?   (Hitler...'cough')

Just a few well placed 'dirty bombs' could reduce the American nation to anarchy.  Not to say I hope that happens.  I think America is a great nation and ally...maybe a little trigger happy and over confident in their own ability and supremacy.   Who know?  Time will tell.

MikeyV

Quote from: "onlyme"As regards why God would choose this 'dirty little nation' Israel, or whatever the post said, the whole point I think is that, as God said, He chooses the WEAK things to confound the strong, the foolish things to confound the wise.

I said "dirty desert nomads", but same same. The simple fact that you can't see the problem with god picking favorites speaks volumes towards your character. Do you have children? More than one? Did you pick one and say "You are my favorite". Did that child escape punishment? Did that child get the best food or the largest room? Do you tell that child every day that they are your favorite? I mean, think about it for a minute.

It makes a lie out of John 3:16 "God so loved the world...". Bullshit! God loves Israel, as he makes abundantly clear all throughout thebooks. Why anyone but a Jew would follow this dogmatic crap is beyond me.

Quotethat Israel WILL be victorious eventually in this battle for their place on earth (their original, God-given land)

Only if you believe thebooks. Of course a book written by the Jews would say this. Duh.
Life in Lubbock, Texas taught me two things. One is that God loves
you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the
most awful, dirty thing on the face of the earth and you should save
it for someone you love.

-- Butch Hancock.

Court

Quote from: "onlyme"Todays superpower is tomorrows pile of rubble.  

A fact supported by the collapse of the British Empire. (Okay, and the Roman Empire.) :)

Speaking of which, I was amazed the first time I saw a map of the British Empire at it's peak. They weren't kidding when they said the sun never sets, were they?
[size=92]
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
[/size]
[size=92]
try having a little faith = stop using your brain for a while -- ziffel[/size]

Asmodean Prime

MikeyV:  but I'm not a Jew, or in favour of the Jewish religion, as I've said before, we are at odds with one another on a lot of points, but I humbly accept the inevitable, that God chooses the small, weak, insignificant members of society to humble the strong.  He is on the side of the underdog, in a way, which I totally approve of, and accept.

Court:  And the greeks, and the medo-persians...etc

And America??  Or, is America, by virtue of its present only superpower status, justified in thinking itself invincible?  I'm not saying you said that, but it is implied in some of the other posts.  

A little cautious humility is in order here, I think.

Big Mac

You know what I find hilarious, God doesn't mention the Native Americans. Quite a few people on the other half of the world and you would think God would mention them at some point. Not to mention God doesn't mention the Far East anywhere in his books. And no one is struck by the fact a Jewish religion would pit the Jewish people as favorites against the rest of humanity?

Court

Quote from: "onlyme"And America??  Or, is America, by virtue of its present only superpower status, justified in thinking itself invincible?  I'm not saying you said that, but it is implied in some of the other posts.  

Meh, it's just fun to pretend we're invincible. Besides, what's the likelihood that America will collapse in my lifetime?
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]

Court

Quote from: "Big Mac"And no one is struck by the fact a Jewish religion would pit the Jewish people as favorites against the rest of humanity?

I always wondered that in Sunday school. Why are the only players in the Bible the self-proclaimed "favorites"? Why aren't there bible stories based in China or South America, as well? Did God not give a shit about the rest of the world?
Stupid Sunday school.
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]

Big Mac

Quote from: "Court"
Quote from: "onlyme"And America??  Or, is America, by virtue of its present only superpower status, justified in thinking itself invincible?  I'm not saying you said that, but it is implied in some of the other posts.  

Meh, it's just fun to pretend we're invincible. Besides, what's the likelihood that America will collapse in my lifetime?

If america collapses I think a lot of other places will also collapse. People talk of China gaining strength but it's straining itself and it needs America as a competitor to keep on. Without us this new surge for China would have never been possible. I doubt America will collapse any time soon.

Asmodean Prime

For one thing, the Jews didn't choose themselves.  They've suffered probably more as a race than anyone else, both during the holocaust, and in their 2000 year exile, etc.

God didn't also specifically mention Britain in the bible, as far as I know.  That doesn't bother me, though.

Court:  America now has so many enemies, the collapse of the US could happen at any time.   A great many people are actively seeking that, including, I think, your present government.

Asmodean Prime

court, you said:

Secondly, that's the problem with christians! They are voluntary repressing themselves! It's ridiculous. Why would god give you natural human desires and then expect you to "battle" them all of the time?

Does this not also apply to those who espouse evolution?  Do you not see yourselves as having 'natural' desires, which are nevertheless harmful to other members of your mammal society?  Or do you agree with the 'survival of the fittest' in this respect also, and therefore should pursue your own agenda, and to hell with the rest, since they are weak?

This is not meant as an attack, I'm just trying to discern where you draw the line.  If morality is not imposed by religion, should it be imposed by a secular society, and if so, why?

Whitney

Quote from: "onlyme"Do you not see yourselves as having 'natural' desires, which are nevertheless harmful to other members of your mammal society?

Can you name something that everyone naturally desires which harms society?  I can't think of anything.

Court

I've never heard of a secular morality that teaches the repression of natural desires. Nor would I ever endorse such a morality.
How does "survival of the fittest" (and, it's not necessarily the "stronger" that survives, keep that in mind) have to do with repressing natural desires?
I do believe in an innate morality (probably a pretty basic and selfish one) and a social morality, which evolves and changes to fit the needs of the current society. Christian morality is simply an out-dated social morality...

Quote from: "onlyme"For one thing, the Jews didn't choose themselves. They've suffered probably more as a race than anyone else, both during the holocaust, and in their 2000 year exile, etc.

Hey, I didn't say they could predict the future. Nor did I say they haven't undergone persecution. I'm just saying that it's no coincidence that the inhabitants of the land from which the bible came are "god's chosen people."

Quote from: "onlyme"God didn't also specifically mention Britain in the bible, as far as I know. That doesn't bother me, though.

That's because the bible doesn't mention any place besides the ass-backward place from which it originated. It's not that it doesn't mention America that bothers me, but that it doesn't mention anywhere else but that relatively small part of the middle east. If god was real, that would not be the case.
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]

Court

Quote from: "laetusatheos"Can you name something that everyone naturally desires which harms society? I can't think of anything.
Honestly, neither can I.
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]