News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Since when was the term "homosexual" offensive?

Started by Byronazriel, November 07, 2010, 03:53:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Byronazriel

I'm hanging out in the about.com gay life forum, I hang out in lots of forums... they have an asexual sub-forum, and I found this: http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=ab-gaylife&tid=6915

It's a list of offensive terms to avoid, and homosexual is the first one!

I've used the term homosexual exclusively, and went out of my way to avod the terms gay and lesbian specifically to avoid offence.

If homosexual is offensive does that mean that bisexual, and asexual are as well? If so then what do I call myself?  :crazy:

I also have a problem with the implication that sexual preference is the same as sexual orientation, but that's an entirely different rant.
"You are trying to understand madness with logic. This is not unlike searching for darkness with a torch." -Jervis Tetch

i_am_i

Quote from: "Byronazriel"If homosexual is offensive does that mean that bisexual, and asexual are as well? If so then what do I call myself?

Greg. I think you should call yourself Greg.
Call me J

Sapere aude

hunterman317

I believe in nature. I think homosexuality is a perversion of nature, therefore the word is an insult.
And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence~
Bertrand Russell

The Government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian religion~
John Adams, 2nd President of the United States

Pray. Maybe the aliens will hear you~

i_am_i

Quote from: "hunterman317"I believe in nature. I think homosexuality is a perversion of nature, therefore the word is an insult.

How can nature be perverted?
Call me J

Sapere aude

elliebean

I don't find the term offensive, as much as a little archaic and slightly cringeworthy. Gay and lesbian are preferred terms.
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "hunterman317"I believe in nature. I think homosexuality is a perversion of nature, therefore the word is an insult.

You realize, of course, that there are other critters which practice homosexuality, right?
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Byronazriel

Homosexual isn't archiac, as it's still in everyday use. One of the biggest problems I have with this is that the term homosexual is supposed to be offensive, but bisexual and asexual are not.

I'm sorry but I can't in any way see the words "gay" and "lesbian" as anything other than slang, at best they're euphemisms and at worst they're pejoratives.
"You are trying to understand madness with logic. This is not unlike searching for darkness with a torch." -Jervis Tetch

The Magic Pudding

I don't know if this is serious, but I'll assume it is.

Quotehunterman317 wrote:I'm 19, and I choose to be abstinent. So thanks for your support.

Not me, but some might say abstinence is unnatural, a perversion even.
Does abstinence make you shiny and pure, able to identify the unclean?

Personally I have a problem with people who pass judgement for such petty reasons.
I wouldn't describe them as a perversion of nature, more your ugly manifestation of human nature.

hunterman317

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"

Quotehunterman317 wrote:I'm 19, and I choose to be abstinent. So thanks for your support.

Personally I have a problem with people who pass judgement for such petty reasons.
I wouldn't describe them as a perversion of nature, more your ugly manifestation of human nature.

My purpose was not to offend, but to contribute. I know my views go against a lot of people's on the forum because of my upbringing. Sorry if I offended anyone.
And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence~
Bertrand Russell

The Government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian religion~
John Adams, 2nd President of the United States

Pray. Maybe the aliens will hear you~

Tanker

Quote from: "hunterman317"
Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"

My purpose was not to offend, but to contribute. I know my views go against a lot of people's on the forum because of my upbringing. Sorry if I offended anyone.

That's not how human interaction works. If I said "I think all people who use quagmire as an avatar are assholes, but no offense" I would be a dick. This is what you have attempted to do. On top of which homosexuality is very common in the animal world. So if it's a perversion of nature why is it so common in nature. Who or what is perverting nature into gayness?

Why would you even choose to include the whole perversion part in your post unless trying to get a rise from someone? The thread is about wether or not the word homosexual is offensive not about its rightness or wrongness or what our personal opinions of gay people are just wether or not the word Homosexual is insulting. Why share this non sequiter?
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

Asmodean

I'm not even gonna start...  :raised:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "hunterman317"My purpose was not to offend, but to contribute. I know my views go against a lot of people's on the forum because of my upbringing. Sorry if I offended anyone.

This is a story of a couple, Brian and Norm who met in the 1950s and lived together for over fifty years.
Norm in recent years developed Alzheimer's and is now in a nursing home.
If you can listen to this and condemn their love as "a perversion of nature," your heart is cold and I pity you.

http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/rn/podcast/ ... 3_1440.mp3
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/360/stories/2010/2839237.htm

I like this comment
QuoteAnnie :
Brian, thankyou so much for sharing your heart with us. Love is love no matter who it's between. I could only wish to have memories like yours and to have experienced the kind of love you both have for each other. I'm very sorry for your loss but also happy that you both had so much love for each other. Hold your memories close to your heart and thankyou for sharing what has obviously been a difficult time for you. My admiration for you is more than I can say in words. Thankyou too RN for this beautiful and respectful story of true love. Should be mandatory listening to all school age children.

Thumpalumpacus

Ah, but Puddin'Head, you're treatin' them homerseckshuls as -- as -- people!
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Kylyssa

Wait, what?  Homosexual is now considered offensive?  Why?  I prefer it to gay because it isn't slang.  What about heterosexual, bisexual, pansexual, and asexual?  If those terms are not also offensive, why not?

elliebean

I don't know anyone who identifies themselves as homosexual; I know lots and lots of people who identify themselves as gay, lesbian, bisexual, pansexual, queer, etc., and not as a slang term. If they want to use slang, the have other terms, but those vary from person to person, and some of those are considered offensive in varying degrees, especially when used by straight (slang for heterosexual?) people. It's up to the people in a community, not people outside of it, to decide which terms are offensive to use towards people within that community.

Archaic was not the best word to use. It's has fallen out of favor and other terms are preferred. If you're still using it in regular conversation, you should probably stop, so that you don't sound ignorant.
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais