News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

finding meaning in life when you dont believe in fate?

Started by bunny, November 05, 2010, 05:16:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bunny

Hello... I'm new to this forum, I've been an agnostic for... I guess about 6-7 years... before that I was raised in a strict christian household... lost my faith but I still believed in things like fate and karma... the past year I went through a devastating breakup... the guy I had been with for 5 years threw me away like I was nothing... I had believed we were soulmates and it had added so much greater meaning to our relationship. After much thought I decided that either fate was trying to kill me, or that fate didnt exist... I mean, sure, I learned alot from that situation... but what I learned also took so much away from me... I feel very bittersweet about it. I am sure that fate is not a malevolent force :) I know my life isnt meaningless, and theres alot that I want to do/have to do... but I've lost alot of the zest for life that I used to have... I dont want to be this way ahaha

jduster

Welcome!

Fate (distinguishable from determinism) and karma are purely irrational superstitious, as there is no centrally planned divine force that governs the universe.

There does not need to be a God for there to be meaning in life.  We all decide the meaning in our own lives.  No church bullies us into living our life for their sake.  We decide for ourselves.  There are many meaningful things in life; we all just have to go out and find them.

I'm truly sorry that your relationship did not work out.

I, as well as others in the community, offer our friendship and support to you.

Thumpalumpacus

Sorry to hear about your bum deal.

I reject fate as any sort of phenomenon.  Fate is the projection of ex post facto judgement into the future, because humans have evolved to seek, and find, patterns.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

The Magic Pudding

I don't think wombats are bothered about this fate and purpose stuff.
They just go about life being a wombat, that is their purpose, if you have stick one on them.
I don't understand why some people think there is more to life than that just being human.
Fate is a fiction best left in stories, it does not help.
A free thinker might look at a failed relationship to see what can be learnt.
Were they to clingy, was he a jerk?
I don't know what the situation is, but if you put things down to fate you wont learn much.

Thumpalumpacus

I wish the guy who named the wombat could get a medal.  I love that name.

bunny

great response, thank you :) you've given me alot to think about <3

Asmodean

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"I wish the guy who named the wombat could get a medal.  I love that name.
Oh! That name is, indeed, absolutely perfect.  :pop:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"I wish the guy who named the wombat could get a medal.  I love that name.

That guy may not have been available for an award ceremony for some thousands of years.

Thumpalumpacus

It's a shame, he should be recognized for a coinage that invariably brings a smile to my face when I say it.

legs laney

Quote from: "jduster"Welcome!

Fate (distinguishable from determinism) and karma are purely irrational superstitious, as there is no centrally planned divine force that governs the universe.

There does not need to be a God for there to be meaning in life.  We all decide the meaning in our own lives.  No church bullies us into living our life for their sake.  We decide for ourselves.  There are many meaningful things in life; we all just have to go out and find them.

I'm truly sorry that your relationship did not work out.

I, as well as others in the community, offer our friendship and support to you.

i just wanted to say a couple things; some food for thought?  every negative experience i've had in my life has made me a better person.  as i was going through them at the time; i probably would have done anything to get out of them or have it "not be happening to me".  i've learned not only coping skills, but also the ablility to empathize with others and have more understanding of complex ideas of the world.  i wouldn't be who i am without both my positive and negative experiences, and i would not change any of them now as i look back.  the world is not black and white any more after something dramatic happens to you.

you're not with that guy anymore, and now you have a chance to find the one who will truly love you and make you happy.  i've also found that happens more quickly when you love yourself and don't feel like you have to be with someone else.  isn't funny that's always when a new love interest shows up?

also... i wanted to say i also believe what jduster has said with one exception:  i do believe in karma.  i think i can even prove it exists with one point:  when someone, even a complete stranger, smiles at you during some mundane morning it rubs off on you, does it not?  and you find yourself smiling for no reason at all... others see the happiness within you, smile, and make the infection spread even deeper within.  people like to be around happy people.  people like to do things for happy people.  it all comes back around eventually!

i have to agree with everyone on the board... wombat is a pretty kewl word!!
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing."
- Autobio