News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Commencement of suicide

Started by Cite134, October 08, 2010, 10:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cite134

I appreciate everyones' responses. I'm going to see if I can get redirected to a psychiatrist and retrieve medication tomorrow morning. There are days where I feel 'alright' but these down periods of mine are far too frequent for my taste. Thank you all.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan.

Thumpalumpacus

Hey, Leonswan, gather your thoughts, could you?  When you fragment them so, you certainly deplete their impact.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

epepke

Quote from: "Cite134"I have no picture of a "better" life. Not even sure what that means.

That's actually a very good start.  What it means is that you're probably clinically depressed.  I have some fair experience with that.  One of the terrible things about depression is that when you are in the throes of it, it becomes not only impossible to think of something better but also to remember ever having thought so.  It's probably a false idea that you have, but the depression takes over not only moods but the thinking apparatus.

Good news is that drugs can break the cycle, so when you go to your psychiatrist, get some and take them.  It might take a while, and you might have to try different ones to get the right combination.  Antidepressants can take weeks to kick in.  I'm a big fan of rapid tranq myself, but it isn't done much these days.

Drugs won't fix you by themselves, though.  There's more to the brain than a bag of chemicals.  When you start coming out of the cycle of depression, come back and talk.

DropLogic

Cite, you may or may not know that about two weeks ago a friend and co-worker of mine ended his life with little warning to everyone here.  He left a note detailing his decision and how alone he felt.  250 people came to his funeral, and dozens of people got up to talk about how he had touched their lives.  You may not know how much you matter to some people.
Talking to us about this is the right thing to do.  Knowing that you're not alone in this harsh world may be all you need to start coming over the top of the hill you've been climbing.  I hope you can find the drive to continue my friend.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "DropLogic"Cite, you may or may not know that about two weeks ago a friend and co-worker of mine ended his life with little warning to everyone here.  He left a note detailing his decision and how alone he felt.  250 people came to his funeral, and dozens of people got up to talk about how he had touched their lives.  You may not know how much you matter to some people.
Talking to us about this is the right thing to do.  Knowing that you're not alone in this harsh world may be all you need to start coming over the top of the hill you've been climbing.  I hope you can find the drive to continue my friend.

A damned good post, imo.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"
Quote from: "DropLogic"Cite, you may or may not know that about two weeks ago a friend and co-worker of mine ended his life with little warning to everyone here.  He left a note detailing his decision and how alone he felt.  250 people came to his funeral, and dozens of people got up to talk about how he had touched their lives.  You may not know how much you matter to some people.

A damned good post, imo.

Yes it was    

DropLogic

*bump*
Cite, please let us know how you're doing from time to time.

DropLogic

Anyone heard from Cite recently?  :(

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "DropLogic"Anyone heard from Cite recently?  :(

Oh stop that weepyness.

QuoteLast visited:
    Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:34 pm

That's maybe 13 hours ago.
If you continue to sound so sad I'll have to get one of those awful dancing bananas over here.

DropLogic

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"
Quote from: "DropLogic"Anyone heard from Cite recently?  :bananacolor:  :bananacolor:

Cite134

ahahaa. Yeah I'm still here Drop. I greatly appreciate your concern.  :)
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan.

Asmodean

...So you are saying that one can not be lonely if one matters to others and knows it? If you are, I disagree.

QuoteTalking to us about this is the right thing to do.  Knowing that you're not alone in this harsh world may be all you need to start coming over the top of the hill you've been climbing.  I hope you can find the drive to continue my friend.
I agree with the sentiment, but talking only gets you so far... When it gets you anywhere at all.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

DropLogic

Quote from: "Asmodean"
...So you are saying that one can not be lonely if one matters to others and knows it? If you are, I disagree.
That's not how I meant it to come across.  Suicide is the most ultimate act of selfishness, and while you are free to do what you will to yourself, helping someone to realize the ripple effect of their actions might give them enough pause to save their life.

Asmodean

Quote from: "DropLogic"That's not how I meant it to come across.  Suicide is the most ultimate act of selfishness, and while you are free to do what you will to yourself, helping someone to realize the ripple effect of their actions might give them enough pause to save their life.
Suicides are also often enough not about wanting to die, but about not wanting to live. Those are very different things, even if they do sound like two sides of exactly the same coin. If I, for instance, didn't like the ripple effect my life was causing, your way of helping might just have spurred me on.

Again, as a disclaimer, I think you mean well, but every situation is different and without having analysed the reasons better than one can in a few pages of internet forums, giving non-selfish* advice might hurt as much (or more) as it might help.

*Meaning advice that concerns those in the person's-in-question inner circles, not advice uncentered on what you would have done in a similar situation. Poor phrasing. Couldn't conjure a better sentence  :P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

DropLogic

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "DropLogic"That's not how I meant it to come across.  Suicide is the most ultimate act of selfishness, and while you are free to do what you will to yourself, helping someone to realize the ripple effect of their actions might give them enough pause to save their life.
Suicides are also often enough not about wanting to die, but about not wanting to live. Those are very different things, even if they do sound like two sides of exactly the same coin. If I, for instance, didn't like the ripple effect my life was causing, your way of helping might just have spurred me on.

Again, as a disclaimer, I think you mean well, but every situation is different and without having analysed the reasons better than one can in a few pages of internet forums, giving non-selfish* advice might hurt as much (or more) as it might help.

*Meaning advice that concerns those in the person's-in-question inner circles, not advice uncentered on what you would have done in a similar situation. Poor phrasing. Couldn't conjure a better sentence  :P
Well, I think anyone can see that I am trying to help, and I don't agree with your logic that saying nothing at all is better.  The fact that he is sharing all of this with us tells me that he needs to let it out to someone.