News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Depression

Started by Cite134, September 08, 2010, 09:13:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cite134

Is it really a sickness as psychologists desrcibe it to be? I am not sure if I have been really suffering from it or not...but I have had many 'down' periods...especially this summer. My lack of social connection with people has been a heavy contribution to my pessimistic attitude and supposed depression, being an existential nihilist.

Forgive me if I get too personal, but I have had about 2 or 3 suicide attempts due to depression. I am afraid to let my family know of this condition because they are really religious. I am only 20 years old, and I am not sure what to do. There seems to be alot of older and wiser people on this forum...and I was wondering if I could get any advice. My mind is more scrambled than an egg, and I am not sure if it's due to my transition from a child to an adult, or a genuine state of depression . :( Can anyone help?
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan.

Tank

20 years old is nothing. You're still a kid. I can say that as my kids are 23,23 & 26 and they are still maturing. Depression is a horrible debilitating feeling and when you're sat at the bottom of that big dark pit very little helps. This might sound really trite but do you have a pet? This might sound selfish but a pet dog is a wonderful friend. They say money can't by love, well that may be true but it sure as hell can buy a companion that will stop you trying to step over the brink.

The other thing that helps is trying to stop seeing oneself as the centre of all the shit things going on in ones life. It makes you feel impotent and victimised and that causes a downward spiral.

Depression can be caused by some illnesses, diabetes being one of them. Have you had a thorough medical since you started feeling depressed? If not then do so, there could be something physical underpinning your depressive state. I have felt shite for the last few months and had put it down to circumstance. But yesterday I had my diabetic check up and they added a new medication. I felt better within minutes of taking it and it has nothing to do with depression as such, it mediates sugar uptake.

Just a few thoughts.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Depression may also be due to personality disorders, in which case a psychiatrist can help you. There is no shame in visiting one.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Cite134

Quote from: "Tank"20 years old is nothing. You're still a kid. I can say that as my kids are 23,23 & 26 and they are still maturing. Depression is a horrible debilitating feeling and when you're sat at the bottom of that big dark pit very little helps. This might sound really trite but do you have a pet? This might sound selfish but a pet dog is a wonderful friend. They say money can't by love, well that may be true but it sure as hell can buy a companion that will stop you trying to step over the brink.

The other thing that helps is trying to stop seeing oneself as the centre of all the shit things going on in ones life. It makes you feel impotent and victimised and that causes a downward spiral.

Depression can be caused by some illnesses, diabetes being one of them. Have you had a thorough medical since you started feeling depressed? If not then do so, there could be something physical underpinning your depressive state. I have felt shite for the last few months and had put it down to circumstance. But yesterday I had my diabetic check up and they added a new medication. I felt better within minutes of taking it and it has nothing to do with depression as such, it mediates sugar uptake.

Just a few thoughts.

Not really. I've talked to one of my doctors at my college....and he subscribed medication, but I was afraid to take it because I was afraid of my family's reaction. Perhaps that it is not such a good idea. But trust me, I do understand that my existence does not have a true objective meaning, that's not the problem. My problem is applying a subjective meaning to my life. I do agree with you that, 20 years is NOT a long time. I've just been having trouble establishing purpose to my life I guess. Maybe I SHOULD take some medication.

The Magic Pudding

Some physical activity, such as a walk can help sometimes.
Nihilism isn't a very jolly world view.

Cite134

Moreover, I did have a pet. But my brother accidentally killed him with a rifle. That incident hurt me so much...but that is another story. : /

Cite134

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"Some physical activity, such as a walk can help sometimes.

You're right....yet, it's the only logical worldview  that my conclusion worked with sadly :/.

philosoraptor

Depression is often caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain.  It can also be a symptom of other underlying medical issues, and sometimes can be related to environmental and situational circumstances.

Only a doctor can tell you if you are depressed, though-we can only advise you what we think.  I'd make an appointment to see a psychologist, and if they feel it's a chemical thing as opposed to something else, than can refer you to a psychiatrist who can treat you accordingly.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

Cite134

Quote from: "philosoraptor"Depression is often caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain.  It can also be a symptom of other underlying medical issues, and sometimes can be related to environmental and situational circumstances.

Only a doctor can tell you if you are depressed, though-we can only advise you what we think.  I'd make an appointment to see a psychologist, and if they feel it's a chemical thing as opposed to something else, than can refer you to a psychiatrist who can treat you accordingly.

Thanks Phil. It's difficult for me to see a school psychologist because they automatically referred me to a black one simply because I was 'black.' Yet, all she did was talk about how Jesus died on a cross (and that didn't help me AT all). I will take your advice, and try to seek help, I just thought that I never needed it. Thanks guys.

philosoraptor

Do you have health insurance?  If so, ask your insurance company to refer you to someone who doesn't work for your school.  And FYI, I'd report that doctor who preached to you.  That's 110% unprofessional coming from any medical or psychiatric professional, unless you first ask them to pray with you or something of that nature.

If you don't have health insurance or you're unemployed, or both, you may be able to qualify for charity care or income based payments so you can see a mental health professional at reduced cost or for free.  I don't know the individual laws for your state, but I'd be happy to try to help you figure out where you can go to talk to someone.
-Muse

Cite134

Quote from: "philosoraptor"Do you have health insurance?  If so, ask your insurance company to refer you to someone who doesn't work for your school.  And FYI, I'd report that doctor who preached to you.  That's 110% unprofessional coming from any medical or psychiatric professional, unless you first ask them to pray with you or something of that nature.

If you don't have health insurance or you're unemployed, or both, you may be able to qualify for charity care or income based payments so you can see a mental health professional at reduced cost or for free.  I don't know the individual laws for your state, but I'd be happy to try to help you figure out where you can go to talk to someone.

Then perhaps I need to check that out. I admit, when I talked with my first psychologist I was very religious. Maybe I should try those same people without such an attitude. I live in CA, but I've not checked out ALL of my options. Perhaps, it's abou time because my depression is BEGINNING to affect my life.

philosoraptor

You may find this link helpful: http://findahealthcenter.hrsa.gov/Search_HCC_byAddr.aspx

You can use it to search for federally funded health care clinics that can provide the type of charity care I mentioned above.

Also, ignoring the name of the website, this page has a lot of links for different centers in California that might also be helpful for you: http://www.ihatemylife.us/medical.html
-Muse

Tank

Quote from: "Cite134"Moreover, I did have a pet. But my brother accidentally killed him with a rifle. That incident hurt me so much...but that is another story. : /
Oh fuck! Sorry about reminding you about that. I think you need to sell your brothers rifle and use the money to buy a new pet, that would probably be better all around.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: "Cite134"
Quote from: "Tank"20 years old is nothing. You're still a kid. I can say that as my kids are 23,23 & 26 and they are still maturing. Depression is a horrible debilitating feeling and when you're sat at the bottom of that big dark pit very little helps. This might sound really trite but do you have a pet? This might sound selfish but a pet dog is a wonderful friend. They say money can't by love, well that may be true but it sure as hell can buy a companion that will stop you trying to step over the brink.

Just a few thoughts.

Not really. I've talked to one of my doctors at my college....and he subscribed medication, but I was afraid to take it because I was afraid of my family's reaction. Perhaps that it is not such a good idea. But trust me, I do understand that my existence does not have a true objective meaning, that's not the problem. My problem is applying a subjective meaning to my life. I do agree with you that, 20 years is NOT a long time. I've just been having trouble establishing purpose to my life I guess. Maybe I SHOULD take some medication.

I was on anti-anxiety medication for just short of a year and they do make life tolerable which is a step in the right direction and allows you to change your life style so you don't need them any more. In addition hiding your condition from your family may not be the wisest thing to do. If you keep telling people you are okay, they will think you are okay, why wouldn't they? If you want an honest reaction from somebody you have to be honest with them otherwise all they are doing is reacting to the mask you are hiding behind.

Tank

Quote from: "Cite134"
Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"Some physical activity, such as a walk can help sometimes.

You're right....yet, it's the only logical worldview  that my conclusion worked with sadly :/.
FUCK LOGIC then! You have one life, one unique gift of luck, you exist! So FFS do what you want to do it's the only F***ing chance you're ever going to get. Christ you're 20 man. Get yourself into situations where you meet real people in real life and find people like yourself. If there isn't an atheist club near you bloody well start one! Lots of people will come and find you then, life will no longer be boring, you might even get some exercise as TMP suggested. Stop looking inwards and start looking outwards.