News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Start Dating someone religious?

Started by cstam, August 09, 2010, 01:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweetdeath

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Firebird

I think it depends on how much they respect your beliefs. If she does, and she's not trying to convert you, then I think it could be ok. But you definitely need to have some conversations if/when you need to decide how far the relationship can go. How to raise the children is often a huge issue, as Kylyssa mentioned.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Amicale

I can definitely date someone who is religious -- I've been dating the same woman for the last seven years, and she's a liberal Anglican. I don't take a hard line on non-belief, though (other posts of mine have explained my stance, but it's essentially agnostic secular humanism). She and I don't get into arguments over it, at ALL. We have great conversations. I really appreciate her perspective on all kinds of issues, and she's a fun, friendly, sweet person who I love very much. Likewise, she respects and appreciates my ideas. So, it works.

Honestly, I don't really think the issue for a LOT of people is 'could I date someone religious', but 'could I date someone who's a close-minded, intolerant fundamentalist'. That seems to make the essential difference for most folks, unless of course the mere mention of God causes you a hernia... in which case, eh, you're probably a fundamentalist yourself, just in the opposite camp. :)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

SunshineSTATEofMind

Quote from: Thumpalumpacus on August 09, 2010, 02:15:26 PM
My son's mother was Catholic, and largely apolitical, when we met.  I'd been an atheist for twelve years at that time, and I've always been the wonkish sort.  Our relationship failed (after 6 years), but not over religion or politics, because we agreed to disagree on those issues.  We also agreed that our son would discover his own beliefs, and not have them hammered into shape by either of us.

Just because she's religious doesn't mean she's unworthy of respect; if you think that's the case, do not extend the relationship.  Also, so far as different views in a relationship are concerned, permit this quote from a favorite song of mine:

Quote from: Neil PeartJust between us, I think it's time to recognize
the differences we sometimes fear to show.
Just between us, I think it's time we realized:
the spaces in between leave room for you and I to grow

Good luck!

I am replying for the soul purpose of saying,
Anyone who quotes Neil Peart and/or anything Rush related is awesome in my book.

Thank you and have a great day.
"The sea is unsparing. We're all drifting away- away from you. I pray for you now. But hoping to God on high is like clinging to straws while drowning- oh- Realize! Realize what you are...!"

"Afraid if we dance we might die...
Rock the world, live through you - why?
Don't you know, when you give life, then you become what you are!"

- Dave Matthews