News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

NC Pastor Wants Gays Behind an Electric Fence

Started by Dobermonster, May 24, 2012, 11:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dobermonster

http://www2.nbc17.com/news/wake-county/2012/may/22/protest-planned-following-nc-pastors-anti-gay-serm-ar-2300237/

What a lovely Mother's Day sermon from Pastor Charles Worley . . .

'He said, "Build a great big large fence about 150 or 100 mile long, put all the lesbians in there, fly over and drop some food. Do the same thing with the queers and the homosexuals, have the fence electrified. In a few years they'll die because they can't reproduce." '

Stevil

Do people walk out on these sermons or do the sheep just go along with what they are told?

Dobermonster

Quote from: Stevil on May 24, 2012, 11:50:59 PM
Do people walk out on these sermons or do the sheep just go along with what they are told?

I watched the video and heard a few 'amens'. Peer pressure alone, I think, would keep most everybody from walking out, whether they agreed with him or not.

DeterminedJuliet

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Stevil

Quote from: Dobermonster on May 25, 2012, 12:01:36 AM

I watched the video and heard a few 'amens'. Peer pressure alone, I think, would keep most everybody from walking out, whether they agreed with him or not.
Is peer pressure different in a church to any other organisation?
I am not one to be politically active myself, but I would certainly walk out of any speech like this. I would quit any organisation that holds this position.
I'm stunned that the congregation don't quit otherwise they are condoning this position aren't they?

Dobermonster

Quote from: Stevil on May 25, 2012, 12:27:19 AM
Quote from: Dobermonster on May 25, 2012, 12:01:36 AM

Is peer pressure different in a church to any other organisation?
I am not one to be politically active myself, but I would certainly walk out of any speech like this. I would quit any organisation that holds this position.
I'm stunned that the congregation don't quit otherwise they are condoning this position aren't they?

I think peer pressure is quite different in a church setting. In most settings, you might be afraid of being mocked or disliked; in church, you risk damnation and excommunication. Not to mention a lot of people grow up in a church - building relationships and reaffirming beliefs that have intertwined for generations. Leaving a church, for many, would mean not only losing face but losing a large part of what makes up their life. Comments from the members also seem to indicate that the congregation generally approves of his anti-gay message, but perhaps think he went a little far in suggesting homosexuals should be a concentration camp. All in all, easier to 'forgive' what they perceive as an overly-passionate sermon and read some Psalms to make themselves feel good about religion again.

Stevil

Quote from: Dobermonster on May 25, 2012, 12:49:00 AM
I think peer pressure is quite different in a church setting. In most settings, you might be afraid of being mocked or disliked; in church, you risk damnation and excommunication. Not to mention a lot of people grow up in a church - building relationships and reaffirming beliefs that have intertwined for generations. Leaving a church, for many, would mean not only losing face but losing a large part of what makes up their life. Comments from the members also seem to indicate that the congregation generally approves of his anti-gay message, but perhaps think he went a little far in suggesting homosexuals should be a concentration camp. All in all, easier to 'forgive' what they perceive as an overly-passionate sermon and read some Psalms to make themselves feel good about religion again.
Religion would get a lot more respect from the non religious if we could see that the religious people could protest or oppose a crazy minister.
But when they all just follow along, either excepting or giving lame excuses to something that is abhorrent, then this is a dangerous and crazy cult.

How can we see it as anything other than dangerous and a threat to our society?

Asmodean

In most settings, you might be afraid of being mocked or disliked; in church, you risk damnation and excommunication.
And I, for one, would proudly take that chance.

I wouldn't necessarilly walk out though. The symbolism of that act is too week for an adequate reaction. What I would do, however, is try to change the organisation I disagreed with or, if I could not, bring it down completely.

QuoteLeaving a church, for many, would mean not only losing face but losing a large part of what makes up their life.
You don't have to leave to make a difference. That said, losing face and a large chunk of your life is a poor excuse in my book.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Stevil

Quote from: Asmodean on May 25, 2012, 01:46:56 AM
I wouldn't necessarilly walk out though. The symbolism of that act is too week for an adequate reaction.
If half the congregation walked out, the pastor would realise he has been moderated. He would need to adjust or he would be fired. His superiors would not like the dwindling of their tithe money.

Asmodean

Quote from: Stevil on May 25, 2012, 02:04:40 AM
I wouldn't necessarilly walk out though. The symbolism of that act is too week for an adequate reaction.
If half the congregation walked out, the pastor would realise he has been moderated. He would need to adjust or he would be fired. His superiors would not like the dwindling of their tithe money.
When you walk out on something like that, you can not count on other than being alone. Many times, you will not be, but when you are, the symbolism of the gesture is utterly insignificant.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dobermonster

In most settings, you might be afraid of being mocked or disliked; in church, you risk damnation and excommunication.
And I, for one, would proudly take that chance.

I wouldn't necessarilly walk out though. The symbolism of that act is too week for an adequate reaction. What I would do, however, is try to change the organisation I disagreed with or, if I could not, bring it down completely.

QuoteLeaving a church, for many, would mean not only losing face but losing a large part of what makes up their life.
You don't have to leave to make a difference. That said, losing face and a large chunk of your life is a poor excuse in my book.

As in mine. I would be worse off to sit and say nothing than to stand up and leave. Though the cracks may spread if a couple individuals voted with their feet, I'd wager it's more likely that the remaining mob will grumble and bash anyone who did. Same with staying and trying to change things from within - you'd probably be more likely to be forced out than cause any sort of change. That's no excuse for moral cowardice, however.

Stevil

Quote from: Asmodean on May 25, 2012, 02:07:54 AM
When you walk out on something like that, you can not count on other than being alone. Many times, you will not be, but when you are, the symbolism of the gesture is utterly insignificant.
I wouldn't say insignificant.

No-one wants to be the first, but the second person is not such a big deal. If you are brave enough to be the first, you run the risk of being the only person. But if others follow, then you have made a difference.

If others don't follow, it may not be obvious, but you still may have made a difference. Some may wish they had followed suit, but for various reasons (probably family) choose not to. But just sitting there listening may give the impression that you support it. Any gay person in the crowd would feel that the whole congregation hates them. A gay person might be afraid to stand up due to being gay and not wanting to bring attention to themselves and thus become a victim even further. It would be like a black person standing up in the middle of a hate speech within a KKK conference.

But in my opinion, at the very least, a non gay person ought to show that they do not tolerate such intolerance. Surely some Christians think this is not on in today's society.

rainbowcat212

This makes me so mad. It's so disrespectful that somebody would say this. Don't these "so called christians" realize that they are actually going against what the bibles says itself. Unless of course, they want to get put in electrified enclosures and starved themselves.
So many years have passed, since I proclaimed my independence, my mission, my aim, and my vision, so secure, content to live each day like it's my last, it's wonderful to know, that I could be, something more than what I dreamed, far beyond what I could see -Dream Theater

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Dobermonster on May 24, 2012, 11:19:47 PM
'He said, "Build a great big large fence about 150 or 100 mile long, put all the lesbians in there, fly over and drop some food. Do the same thing with the queers and the homosexuals, have the fence electrified. In a few years they'll die because they can't reproduce." '

I would blame the school system, but I don't think it can take the fall for idiocy so massive.  The Rev's inability to notice that for the most part it's straights who give birth to gays, that most adults live longer than a few years, that plenty of gays have impregnated or become pregnant in the usual (and cheapest) way . . . that's a mental deficiency that no amount of schooling could correct.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

The Magic Pudding

This sounds cool a fence and all the gays get put one side of it, when are they going to start on it?  It'll have to be bigger than 100-150 miles long though, 'cause there's going to be a lot of straight people who will want to join them. 

Ye but I don't think we'll starve out by being separated from these dark age creeps.  We'll imagine better things, build up to the sky and they'll be left grovelling in their dirt.  It would be nice to fence them off, limit the damage they can do, stop them holding us back, if only it were possible.